Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How did they get to the prices of the "premium" wines in the United Club?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How did they get to the prices of the "premium" wines in the United Club?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by scottsam66
Also have to disagree with your statement about how companies price their goods. You state it has nothing to do with cost.
It's incorrect. Lets say, a company made widgets that cost 5 to make (a fact you say is irrelevant). Now lets say market bears 3. Is $3 going to be what they charge? They'd be out of business pretty quick.
With all due respect, it's just plain silly to say a products cost to make has nothing to do with the price.
Actually it is not silly to say that -- look into Value Based Pricing, What is silly is continue making a product if the costs exceed what you can price it for unless it contributes in other ways to your product line. If you can not make it for a cost that allows a competitive, value based pricing --- you exit the market, raising the price is useless.

Now if you can make it for much lower than the competitive value based price, you are foolish to sell below market just because the cost is low. You price it to maximize your profit (and watching out not to encourage too much competition -- but that is a whole different topic).

Bottom line the market sets the price, not your cost to produce.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
The pricing in lounges is always pretty whacky. I remember being in a Delta Sky Club this summer and they were offering a flight of 3 shots of Johnnie Walker, 1 each of black, gold, and blue, for only $25, which really is quite a good deal since normally I believe blue is not findable at that price point by itself
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
I think replies #2 and 3 are missing the OP's point, which is that club pricing is not a consistent markup over (retail) pricing.
Umm, neither is restaurant wine pricing.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: 1k MM, Hyatt Diamond,Marriott Gold, IHG Sphire, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Carson Gold
I think a "club" doest gouge customers. I agree the premium wine are not very premium.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Honors Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
The pricing in lounges is always pretty whacky. I remember being in a Delta Sky Club this summer and they were offering a flight of 3 shots of Johnnie Walker, 1 each of black, gold, and blue, for only $25, which really is quite a good deal since normally I believe blue is not findable at that price point by itself
I think Johnnie Walker is generally overrated, but that is a very good deal. Meanwhile, next to ORD C11, Beaudevin's 6oz NitroTap pour of Nickel & Nickel Suscol Ranch Merlot is a solid choice at $13, especially considering the bottle retails for $45.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:23 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by Often1
No, I am not. My point remains clear. Neither OP, nor you nor I have a clue what UA pays at wholesale for any given bottle..
Originally Posted by aacharya
Umm, neither is restaurant wine pricing.

The OP was not referring to wholesale pricing, or restaurant pricing. They (and I) were making a simple price comparison of a glass at the club, to a bottle at the store.

With all due respect, why does everything have to turn into a disagreement.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 5:50 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Welcome to the new and improved FlyerTalk.

It wasn't this way a few years ago.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 5:59 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Welcome to the new and improved FlyerTalk.

It wasn't this way a few years ago.
+1
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
I highly recommend the Joel Gott Cabernet. That is well worth the money, especially when trapped at the airport

you can safely assume that they are charging for the glass what they pay for the bottle. That way, after the open the bottle & pour the first glass they break even. Then they either make money with the next 4 pours or throw it away if it spoils.

Last edited by ilovesprint; Jan 4, 2014 at 6:13 am Reason: edit
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by scottsam66
Sorry, but I don't find your point clear at all.
I read recently an article on wine pricing at restaurants-and how they mark it up. The article posited that rest. that should earn your business should charge 2-2.5 times the price the consumer can purchase the bottle for themselves. Many places charge a lot more than that. So if you figure 4 glasses per bottle, UA prices appear to be very high albeit inconsistent. With a nice restaurant you could argue you are paying for the intangibles. You can not make the same claim at a crappy airport lounge...

This is true for "By the Bottle" sales not "by the glass" sales
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Also, last I checked there is no annual fee to attend at a restaurant. If there is to be a charge for "premium" wines then this inconvenient fact should certainly be factored in. The UA and US clubs are an embarrassment to the Star Alliance on many levels. At least at AA clubs if you are a status flyer from the alliance you get chits for the "premium" stuff - I'd certainly factor that into my decision of airlines if I was flying a lot.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I agree completely. All the wines listed are low-end or mid-range at best. But that's not really the market in the UC, so they are fairly appropriate for that venue.

Some of those can be pretty tasty.
Some would agree with you:

http://www.thrillist.com/drink/natio...aign=thrillist
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
The OP was not referring to wholesale pricing, or restaurant pricing. They (and I) were making a simple price comparison of a glass at the club, to a bottle at the store.

Because it's not that simple. That's akin to comparing the price of water at a bar to the 24-pack you get at home. In that scenario, I've seen almost a 25x markup.

Your "simple" assumption ignores the reality of economic pricing, as WineCountryUA has explained rationally.

We are disagreeing not because FT has changed (it has but not in this example) but because your basis is incorrect. Those who note "FT changed" are just being flippant.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by aacharya
Because it's not that simple. That's akin to comparing the price of water at a bar to the 24-pack you get at home. In that scenario, I've seen almost a 25x markup.

Your "simple" assumption ignores the reality of economic pricing, as WineCountryUA has explained rationally.

We are disagreeing not because FT has changed (it has but not in this example) but because your basis is incorrect. Those who note "FT changed" are just being flippant.
You have missed the point once again. I am not making an economics argument. Or a marketing one, or any argument of any sort. I am not trying to prove any theory. I'm sure you know much more about all of those things (and wine also) than I do.

I was simply agreeing with the OP, who pointed out the difference in relative price.

I give up. You win.

Last edited by nachosdelux; Jan 4, 2014 at 12:02 pm
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: UA-1K; DL-1MM; SPG-P75; Marriot-P
Last week in the UA Club, I wondered the same as the OP. The pricing seems arbitrary. The "premium" wines cost $12-15 per glass at the UA club, while the bottles retail for $10-50. This would be some wacky markup math.

As mentioned several times before, the UA Club price is what the market will bear. Many travelers feel that they are worth the "premium", so marketing it as such is a great strategy.
And, let's not forget drinking premium wine could be a strategy to impress whoever you are sitting next to.

With the exception of the Jordan Cab, I personally find the value of the "premium" segment lousy. The only thing "premium" of these wines is the premium you pay over the complimentary house wine. Which, by the way United will be paying for as well (est. $2-4 per bottle).

I personally would find a much lower "co-pay" (e.g. $4-6) more flyer-friendly. But then, I am already flying the friendly skies. It might be to much to ask for a 'friendly" club...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.