Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How did they get to the prices of the "premium" wines in the United Club?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How did they get to the prices of the "premium" wines in the United Club?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bldr1k
I wouldn't waste my time going to a restaurant that does this. Even in Las Vegas they are are not marked up 4X.

The majority of restaurants I eat in mark wine up 2-2.5X (and I eat out 250 nights a year).

2-2.5x what a restaurant bought it for from the wholesalers if you BY THE BOTTLE on the wine list

BTG (by the glass) pours typically are what they buy the bottle for from the wholesaler. Sometimes a little more sometimes little less. What almost NEVER happens anywhere on premise is they buy a bottle for $10 & sell glasses of wine for $5

THIS IS INDUSTRY STANDARD

Last edited by ilovesprint; Jan 4, 2014 at 4:08 pm Reason: edit
Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Au, IHG Au
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Personally, I don't regard those wines on the list as "premium." IMO the pricing is based on popular impression and name recognition.

But then again, I'm a regular drinker of 2-and-a-half-buck chucks and screw top table wines from California regions not named Napa or Sonoma, so what do I know.
Veuve Cliquot, the widow, makes some really nice champagne. I wouldn't complain about that.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Apples and Oranges

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 5:27 am Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Folderholder
Veuve Cliquot, the widow, makes some really nice champagne.
And they also make some questionble champagne. Guess which one United will buy?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I don't get what your complaint is? IF they buy the more expensive Veuve Champagne's, they will charge you more for it.

So Will every single restaurant in the world
Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Actually it is not silly to say that -- look into Value Based Pricing, What is silly is continue making a product if the costs exceed what you can price it for unless it contributes in other ways to your product line. If you can not make it for a cost that allows a competitive, value based pricing --- you exit the market, raising the price is useless.

Now if you can make it for much lower than the competitive value based price, you are foolish to sell below market just because the cost is low. You price it to maximize your profit (and watching out not to encourage too much competition -- but that is a whole different topic).

Bottom line the market sets the price, not your cost to produce.
UA is a secondary purchaser of wines- it purchases from a distributor. There are generally acceptable mark-ups for restaurants ,etc. These mark-ups are based on the cost the proprietor pays for the bottle.
Sure what the market bears plays a role, but in today's info age, companies that grossly mark-up their prices won't be in business for long. 2-2.5 times cost is considered acceptable. Experts suggest patrons to not frequent those establishments that choose to gouge their unknowledgeable customers. I stand by my statement that cost plays major role in wine pricing.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ilovesprint
I don't get what your complaint is? IF they buy the more expensive Veuve Champagne's, they will charge you more for it.
Except that they will buy the cheap Veuve and mark it up beyond its value to what the better champagne would be worth.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:43 pm

Except that they will buy the cheap Veuve and mark it up beyond its value to what the better champagne would be worth.

You may not like Yellow Label Veuve, but the $14 is likely close to what it costs from the wholesaler & the $14 is what you will pay for a glass of Veuve Yellow Label in the United Club or most restaurants

Here is one of the best restaurants in Chicago - Sunda New Asian - Veuve Yellow Label is $20 by the glass

http://www.sundachicago.com/wp-conte...7-4-201331.pdf

Veuve Yellow Label is $25 @ Gibsons in Chicago

Last edited by ilovesprint; Jan 4, 2014 at 4:50 pm Reason: edit
Old Jan 4, 2014, 5:08 pm

I'm not angry at all. I was just saying that they are obviously charging at a price that (most) people will pay. I'm in UCs frequently and I constantly see the premium wine being purchased. The only time I ever hear anything negative is on these forums.

Now, as far as "premium" wine, that's a whole different discussion.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Au, IHG Au
Perhaps you have Veuve mixed up with someone else? I've been drinking it for a long time and always enjoyed it but chacun son got.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA LM Airbnb
guys and gals, we're really opening up the discussion. theoretically there's 10 glasses of bubbly in that bottle to 4-6 in a wine bottle with a not so generous pour. and corkage fee applies to the bottle price so TSA way aside here, i think we got back on the glass price in this discussion a moment ago. its 4x and looking at the list provided I think we are seeing jordan vineyards exposed, and thats about it.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by billybligh
guys and gals, we're really opening up the discussion. theoretically there's 10 glasses of bubbly in that bottle to 4-6 in a wine bottle with a not so generous pour. and corkage fee applies to the bottle price so TSA way aside here, i think we got back on the glass price in this discussion a moment ago. its 4x and looking at the list provided I think we are seeing jordan vineyards exposed, and thats about it.
Jordan Cab @ Gibsons in Chicago is $25 By the Glass

Stony River (national chain) Jordan Cab is $20 http://www.stoneyriver.com/our-wines/wine-list.html

Most place don't put Jordan Cab on their BY THE GLASS lists. If they do it is their high priced cab pour
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:04 pm

uc glass / rtl btl / rtl oz / rtl gls / uc markups
Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio 5oz glass 12 18 0.72 3.6 333%
Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc 14 13 0.52 2.6 538%
Groth Sauvignon Blanc 12 19 0.76 3.8 316%
Mark West Pinot Noir 13 10 0.4 2 650%
Rutherford Hill Merlot 14 18 0.72 3.6 389%
Jordan Cabernet Sauvignon 15 50 2 10 150%
Joel Gott 815 Cabernet Sauvignon 13 15 0.6 3 433%
Mionetto Brut Prosecco DOC 2.5 oz glass 12 11 0.44 1.1 1091%
Veuve Cliquot Brut Yellow Label 14 42 1.68 4.2 333%

Some swing but 333% on a 5ozer is probably the right number. In regards to jordan cab, its one of two things and dang-nabbit ill have to try me some. its either overpriced or under-priced, im betting the bottle is overpriced and it tastes like a 18 dollar glass/bottle. To be continued...
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by billybligh
uc glass / rtl btl / rtl oz / rtl gls / uc markups
Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio 5oz glass 12 18 0.72 3.6 333%
Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc 14 13 0.52 2.6 538%
Groth Sauvignon Blanc 12 19 0.76 3.8 316%
Mark West Pinot Noir 13 10 0.4 2 650%
Rutherford Hill Merlot 14 18 0.72 3.6 389%
Jordan Cabernet Sauvignon 15 50 2 10 150%
Joel Gott 815 Cabernet Sauvignon 13 15 0.6 3 433%
Mionetto Brut Prosecco DOC 2.5 oz glass 12 11 0.44 1.1 1091%
Veuve Cliquot Brut Yellow Label 14 42 1.68 4.2 333%

Some swing but 333% on a 5ozer is probably the right number. In regards to jordan cab, its one of two things and dang-nabbit ill have to try me some. its either overpriced or under-priced. To be continued...
The retail price is irrelevant to this discussion. Please stop referring to it. Retail establishments make 18-30% Gross Profit Margin (depending on the retailer)

United's by the glass pricing is right in line with most on premise accounts in the food & beverage industry

Last edited by ilovesprint; Jan 4, 2014 at 8:09 pm Reason: edit
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:15 pm

sorry now you're wrong. we are trying to figure out their price model for OP and all we have is retail pricing at his local store as a basis. If you want call your distributor and post the pricing. But I do agree their pricing is typical market pricing and from the above you can probably find their estimated wholesale costs per bottle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.