Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

American Express AX Centurion Lounge at SFO & IAH (IAH Opened Jun 24, 2016 @ Term D)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Express AX Centurion Lounge at SFO & IAH (IAH Opened Jun 24, 2016 @ Term D)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2013, 1:01 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
The clubs are packed, especially at SFO. They'll probably be happy to share the load.

The reports are that the Centurion Lounge at SFO will be on the mezzanine level above premier security. That has traditionally been outside security. So unless there is a major change in the terminal layout (not an impossibility with all the current construction) it will not be airside.
The Centurion Club will be landside,not airside. The space is the former RCC that closed when the expanded T3 RCC by the rotunda opened several years ago. However he former RCC is reopening as a UC around the time the E gate area of T3 opens next year, pending the build out of the new airside UC by the E gates.

So it will be a while before the Centurion Club opens.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 3:40 am
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Location Location Location......

I guess I use Airport Clubs and Lounges more as a tool than an experience. I'd say I’m usually in the UC for an hour or less each visit and use it as it's advertised to be, a business lounge for making calls, relaxing, having a snack and generally a place to get away from the chaos of the terminal.

I’ve been in a few very nice lounges around the world and even then, I start to twitch after sitting around for much more than 90 minutes, regardless of the ambience, alcohol and food offering.

Irops at the UC is probably the most often mentioned benefit, one that you won’t get with a independent lounge.

I'm sticking with the UC for it's locations, utility and benefits. Perhaps not the best in amenities but it suits my needs.

DEN

Last edited by DEN; Dec 12, 2013 at 3:47 am
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:09 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BayAreaTraveler
How could they forget about the legendary carrot sticks and the ranch dipping sauce? To me that's a no brainer.
I think that the ranch they use is VERY good. Sometimes I take a few home with my for a salad.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
ORD, IAD, FRA, BRU, NRT... those would be on longer internatinal itins where I wouldn't mind a shower. NRT has them at the NH lounge; the others I'm not aware of offerings for those not traveling in F.
The LH lounges at FRA have showers, as does the LH lounge at IAD although it's location isn't necessarily convenient depending on who you're flying.

According to the Star Alliance Lounge Finder, several of the Brussels Airlines lounges in BRU have showers, but I've never been there so I don't know for sure.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: UA AU (ex 10+ year 1k) 1.5MM, AS Newbie, HH ex Dia
Originally Posted by docbert
The LH lounges at FRA have showers, as does the LH lounge at IAD although it's location isn't necessarily convenient depending on who you're flying.

According to the Star Alliance Lounge Finder, several of the Brussels Airlines lounges in BRU have showers, but I've never been there so I don't know for sure.
The restrooms for the BRU lounges are outside the lounge. I haven't paid attention to the shower situation.

The UC at ORD C-17 has showers.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:44 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by danville 1K
The Centurion Club will be landside,not airside.
Do you know this for a fact, or are you assuming based on the configuration of the space now/in the past? It could conceivably be changed with the construction.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by nnn
Do you know this for a fact, or are you assuming based on the configuration of the space now/in the past? It could conceivably be changed with the construction.
I don't think anything has been officially announced, but the (pretty credible) rumors I've been hearing is that it will be land-side as well. This is at least partially so that it can be more easily enjoyed by customers flying airlines other than United.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: Hotels.com WR Silver ;)
It remains to be seen if it will work for Amex. There are currently a whopping two of them which I don't see as being too attractive. Ramping up the number will cost them a whole lot of money in rents and investment and they will have to work way harder to get members to join than any airline does. Also in a lot of airports they won't be useful for a lot of fliers. For example, where is the one in LGA going to be? If it's in the CTB no DL flyer will consider it, if it's in the DL or former US terminal, anybody not flying DL won't consider it.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by monserco1
They're currently at DFW and LAS with SFO and LGA coming soon. I'd imagine they're going after the high volume business traveler airports first.

You can bring up to 2 guests with you.
Where did you hear about a Centurion Lounge coming to LGA?
Old Dec 12, 2013, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
It looks like they charge a $50 day use fee to anyone who has one of the Amex cards that don't offer complimentary access. I was just looking and the food and drink menu and easily think I could consume $30 worth at airport prices. If given a choice between paying $50 for a daypass to a UC or $50 for a daypass to a Centurion club, that's quite the no-brainer.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 1:12 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by Sykes
I don't think anything has been officially announced, but the (pretty credible) rumors I've been hearing is that it will be land-side as well. This is at least partially so that it can be more easily enjoyed by customers flying airlines other than United.
Landside would seem like a bad move for them, since many UA travelers won't want to use the lounge before screening, and many OAL travelers won't want to do the same and even worse have to change terminals.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 1:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nnn
Landside would seem like a bad move for them, since many UA travelers won't want to use the lounge before screening, and many OAL travelers won't want to do the same and even worse have to change terminals.
The rumors have been all over the place on the placement of the Centurion Lounge. If where the old RCC was on the mezzanine, then it is likely landslide. Although it is conceivable to build a new airside entrance (elevator) to the mezzanine and reconstruct the space to be airside only.

The issue airside/landside is important but the security access with PreCheck/Clear does lessen the criticality.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The rumors have been all over the place on the placement of the Centurion Lounge. If where the old RCC was on the mezzanine, then it is likely landslide. Although it is conceivable to build a new airside entrance (elevator) to the mezzanine and reconstruct the space to be airside only.

The issue airside/landside is important but the security access with PreCheck/Clear does lessen the criticality.
Either way, it could still draw from Terminal G as well as T3. Traffic from Terminals 1, 2, and H would be much less likely. (Also, doesn't AA have a really nice new AC in T2?)
Old Dec 12, 2013, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
(Also, doesn't AA have a really nice new AC in T2?)
Not one that you will be able to get in to with an AMEX Plat card... (as of 3/31/14)
Old Dec 12, 2013, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Not one that you will be able to get in to with an AMEX Plat card... (as of 3/31/14)
Correct. But folks who do have AC access (including OW elites) won't have much reason to leave T2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.