Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:18 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
As much as I often think the upgrade instruments are becoming useless, the truth is, they're still an awesome benefit. It's only July and I've used 4 RPU's and 5/6 GPU's on Flights from Chicago. SFO--used to fly through there back from PVG when UG cleared, but GS population in SFO stopped that cold.

Direct flights to Asia are my best bet from ORD now. I've been the number one loser twice from PVG--third time I saw it coming and did a SDC to route direct instead of connecting in SFO--and snagged the ONLY upgrade Y-C granted at the gate.

What's bothersome is when 4/6 F seats go empty and all C are filled while those who play the W fare lottery lose---why not OP-UP a few paid C into F to accommodate those trying to move from Y-C?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jjmoore
GPU for HKG-SFO is hopeless... at least this summer.
I've cleared three this year (one June, two September). You have to pick the flights carefully.

Originally Posted by tryathlete
What's bothersome is when 4/6 F seats go empty and all C are filled while those who play the W fare lottery lose---why not OP-UP a few paid C into F to accommodate those trying to move from Y-C?
As UA stops selling F, this issue will go away.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by nntman
Can't seem to use my RPU/GPUs domestically - seems like it is always wait-list only. I am GS and this happens on B fares to ORD, SLC, DEN. Had much better luck last year.
I hate to point out that:

1. RPUs are useless for GS pax at the battlefield since they all get upgraded first, anyhow. There isn't a mention of GS using instrument-supported upgrades being ahead of GS CPU, though I guess I suppose I wouldn't be surprised to see this (or not) enabled.
2. RPUs are useless for PAX on B-fares -- and might even be counter-productive -- since the B-fare is eligible for a direct F-seat due to the fare class as long as PN is available.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by ryman554
1. RPUs are useless for GS pax at the battlefield since they all get upgraded first, anyhow. There isn't a mention of GS using instrument-supported upgrades being ahead of GS CPU, though I guess I suppose I wouldn't be surprised to see this (or not) enabled.
2. RPUs are useless for PAX on B-fares -- and might even be counter-productive -- since the B-fare is eligible for a direct F-seat due to the fare class as long as PN is available.
I couldn't make heads or tails of nntman's post either. First GS in history to complain of not being upgraded, even with instruments. Something doesn't sound right.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
I couldn't make heads or tails of nntman's post either. First GS in history to complain of not being upgraded, even with instruments. Something doesn't sound right.
jjmore from up thread also seemed to have similar complaints reported as a GS pax. I guess even GS are having there First World problems now.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Kacee
I've cleared three this year (one June, two September). You have to pick the flights carefully..
This is certainly true. I was pretty constrained to traveling within a couple days of the 21-22 July range.... none of those days showed much promise.... no P/PN space ever opened up for the 19th, 20th, 21st, or 22nd.

If I had more flexibility, I would have been able to choose some better travel weeks in Sept / Oct and had easier times clearing upgrades on that route. Unfortunately 2 people's schedules had to fit the travel plan.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jjmoore
This is certainly true. I was pretty constrained to traveling within a couple days of the 21-22 July range.... none of those days showed much promise.... no P/PN space ever opened up for the 19th, 20th, 21st, or 22nd.

If I had more flexibility, I would have been able to choose some better travel weeks in Sept / Oct and had easier times clearing upgrades on that route. Unfortunately 2 people's schedules had to fit the travel plan.
Yup, there is a very large disparity in GPU clearance experiences depending on flexibility. Without flexibility, it's basically book and pray.

FWIW, TPAC R availability is overall very good right now.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
I've cleared three this year (one June, two September). You have to pick the flights carefully.

As UA stops selling F, this issue will go away.
So true. GF--never even flown it.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
RPU denied on KOA-SFO F sold out at T72. Not a huge heart break, I almost like my "Hobo First" exit row seat better than the barcalounger F seats on that route.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:28 pm

Just got a new RPU for 2019 expiration as I apparently must have just hit 75K miles. Went to apply RPU on flights I just booked and requested they apply my RPUs on my new bookings. When I questioned the agent about which were used I discovered he had pulled the NEW RPU. I then asked him to apply those due to expire this year (I guess technically end of Jan 1019) which he then did and apologized for the error. While it ultimately probably won't matter as these things as (nearly) worthless but I guess you should make sure they are using first in and first out with your up grade instruments, just fyi.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Yup, there is a very large disparity in GPU clearance experiences depending on flexibility. Without flexibility, it's basically book and pray.
Book and fume. Great flexibility but no R SEA-HNL for a several day span. So now, RPU expended (SEA-SFO) but hanging SFO-HNL 48 hours out even though F9 (13 on seating). Too low a threshold to clear RPUs
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by cmculp
Book and fume. Great flexibility but no R SEA-HNL for a several day span. So now, RPU expended (SEA-SFO) but hanging SFO-HNL 48 hours out even though F9 (13 on seating). Too low a threshold to clear RPUs
RPU and GPU are different stories. I find RPU much harder to use b/c UA has become so stingy with R on the desirable routes (Hawaii, premium t-cons).

I'm reduced to trying to use them on SFO-PHX. And failing.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I cleared two RPUs @t-24 for YVR-ORD-PHL. Got to watch the upgrade processing "live" on line, since I got the email note for YVR-ORD's upgrade and logged in just as the second leg was being processed. It was interesting to see how the public facing side of SHARES handled this.

My YVR-ORD leg was processed and showed the seats in the front cabin (no choice for a pair at T-24, got row 5 of a 739 ). The ORD-PHL segment showed "Upgrade requested" but the second seat map for the waitlisted front cabin had disappeared, and all that was showing was my coach (hobo first) seat assignments.

I worried that the second upgrade waitlist had somehow gotten messed up by clearing the first leg, but two minutes later, the PNR updated to "Upgrade Confirmed" on the ORD-PHL leg, and we got the last pair of seats in the cabin (first row this time).

Aside from the seating, this worked out well enough. But it does seem that United will wait until T-24 to process RPUs, unless there is a lot of empty space.

UPDATE: I just got another email from United with this message:

We are not yet able to confirm your request for an upgrade on your flight from
Vancouver, BC, CA (YVR) to Chicago, IL, US (ORD - O'Hare). While your upgrade
request will no longer appear in your reservation, you will automatically be
added to the upgrade standby list after you complete check-in and receive your
boarding pass for this flight.
Part of SHARES thinks I'm not upgraded! But my PNR is showing the upgrade with the seat assignment. Should I do anything different? Should I check in now, while my F seats are showing?

Last edited by transportprof; Aug 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
i have had pretty good luck with RPU's this year but i am going to get denied CUN-SFO in a few weeks and it's blowing my mind. never not been CPU'd on this route before, bad luck no doubt
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by transportprof
Aside from the seating, this worked out well enough. But it does seem that United will wait until T-24 to process RPUs, unless there is a lot of empty space.

UPDATE: I just got another email from United with this message:

Part of SHARES thinks I'm not upgraded! But my PNR is showing the upgrade with the seat assignment. Should I do anything different? Should I check in now, while my F seats are showing?
I would check in ASAP if you can and "lock-in" the sears if you can. Can't hurt.

I have had one RPU clear prior to T24, the additional couple that have cleared over the past year have been literally at or about T1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.