Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"What you're doing is not right."

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2013, 7:15 am

The bottom line is that the OP called after 24 hours cutoff and tried to game his way out of paying a fee.

Given that UA monitors this board, it would not surprise me in the least if they occasionally correlate FT members, who post these types of shenanigans, with the FT members' actual name and MP account (not that difficult).

Some people crave attention to such an extent that they will do anything to receive it: when they get away with something, they feel it necessary to post it on the Internet and then complain about some aspect of the scenario.

In OP's case, he/she was trying to game the system, encountered an irritated CSR who knew what "was up"; and, in the end, got what he/she wanted.

Why even post it on the Internet?
Old Dec 6, 2013, 7:30 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
"UA and their FF affinity credit card companies constantly bombard us with ways to get miles, get status, fly the world in First class for free, on and on and on. They want us to "do it for miles". They beg us to do so. They give us a rich, romantic picture of the FF nirvana. So how can they be surprised if we "do it for miles"
^^^^

The perfect response if an agent tells you mileage runs are not right. How can buying a ticket they sell be wrong, no matter what the reason? If they sell it they shouldn't complain that you bought it.

By the way, I have never done a mileage run in my life, so I'm not saying this out of self interest.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The simple fact is that if UA didn't want you to be able to purchase this non-mistake fare with your particular routing, it should not have offered it.
But UA's pricing analysts are not exactly top notch and are well-known for making serious pricing mistakes, sadly.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 7:56 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by why fly
you called someone in Houston. Call back and get someone from Chicago.
Or HNL. Heck, even DTW!
Old Dec 6, 2013, 7:56 am

Programs: Lawl COVID
Originally Posted by DelrayChris
The bottom line is that the OP called after 24 hours cutoff and tried to game his way out of paying a fee.
That is so not the bottom line.

If I'm breaking a rule, or doing something I shouldn't be doing, as a CSR, just tell me that you can't help me and be done with it. I don't wanna hear your value judgments on my flying habits. I'm giving you money, either tell me what I'm doing can't be done or shut the **** up and take it.

All the guy had to say was, "We cannot make that change without charging you a change fee." Period. End of story. But "cheating" United? How small-ball does that sound? Maybe if they hadn't jumped over barrels full of dollars to chase pennies with TODs and fees, they wouldn't be worried about some guy booking low-fare mileage runs.

In OP's case, he/she was trying to game the system, encountered an irritated CSR who knew what "was up"; and, in the end, got what he/she wanted.
What is this, a Scooby Doo episode? "I was going to cheat you out of a change fee, and I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for that meddling CS supervisor!" Give me a break.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
based on what do you know splitting legs is allowed, is the written policy or just something many agents will do??

Understand the point you trying to make but your example is a poor case.
Based on my prior experience, based on her next line about being a change fee, rather than telling me it was a one-time thing, and based on other documented cases on FT, none of which said it's a one-time exception, it's allowed. Now, I don't explicitly know if it's allowed or not, because I haven't seen internal documentation and it's not mentioned in the CoC. It doesn't violate fare rules and it will most likely incur a few bucks in incremental taxes.

You're right, though. I could probably have made a stronger argument, but I was getting wordy already. As another example, when a web award ticket is pricing contrary to the award schedule and the agent says the web is right, our choices are to escalate or to HUACA.

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
In other words, when attempting HUACA, first consult FT for a consensus whether it is a good idea or not.
Sometimes time can be short, but I agree 100%! ^
Old Dec 6, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
The OP was wrong for trying to game the system outside the 24hr window. It's a very simple rule, and using HUACA to get around it is arguably offensive.

The CSR was wrong for being critical of his MR. If UA doesn't want mileage runners, they should stop advertising the benefits of acquiring miles.
Agreed. Particularly the last point - the business purpose of Mileage Plus is to direct revenue to United that it wouldn't otherwise get. And that's what's happening.

I was questioned exactly once on flying patterns - by a new CSR. I was flying out to SFO early on a Friday afternoon, returning on the redeye. He called his supervisor over and asked me why I was making a same-day trip (I was attending a housewarming party for a friend) and the supervisor said to the CSR that it's none of their business.

Which is exactly right.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 9:24 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by fastair
Well, the "lecture" was prompted when the customer asked the supe for it "This time, I sensed underlying hostility, and I called the supervisor out on it. I asked him why the hostility, and whether it was affecting his willingness to help" My theory is if you don't want a question answered honestly, don't ask the question. Had this been a purely business call by the customer, the supe would have never "lectureed" him on it, as it were, the customer had numerous times asked multiple people, hung up on them all for not breaking the rules, when he ran across a supe who seemed to be irritated by such a waste of resources, the customer prompted the reply by asking the outisde of the transaction related question.
Fair enough; I shouldn't have asked about the hostility.

Originally Posted by fastair
SHould the supe have volunteered the info? No, should the customer have repeatedly hung up on agents who were doing what they were supposed to do, and then escalate to a supervisor to break the rules, then ask the question as to why the supe seems irritated? No, most likely that shouldn't have been done to promt it either.

The whole "mileage run is bad" is a red herring here. The fact that the customer kept hangin up on agents doing their job, then when horizontal shifts from agent to agent didn't work, he then tried for vertical shifts to get rules to be broken on his behalf...well, few businesses have surplus resources dedicated to correctly answering the same question correctly to the same individual across multiple agents and multiple levels, hoping he can convince someoene into breaking the rules in his /against the companies financial interests.

The mileage run is fine, but one gets what one paid for. You buy restricitve tickets to maximize one's return on minimal investment in self interest. You want to change one where the clearly stated rules require a fee, one should expect to pay that price, and not initiate a 1 man campaign of monopolizing the res lines until one can convince someone to break the clearly stated and understood rules for your gain and the airlines loss. One must live with the consequences of one's actions.
I feel I should also be clear--- this was not monopolizing anything, it was in total, < 15 min of time on the phone. There was also no "hanging up on agents", or at least not as insinuated, I thanked each agent, and said please don't make any changes and I would have to call back later to complete any changes.

My final word on this: I posted this because I found the value judgment on why I am flying to be weird; I posted all the info in a spirit of transparency (no pun intended), and did not leave out anything. I'm a little dismayed at how far some posters took things in assuming behavior and even suggesting criminal actions. I realize I was asking for an exception (and I do not ask for exceptions often), I asked a few times to be sure nothing could be done (like I said, < 15 on the phone), and I was polite to each agent. Lastly, I must assume that those who are focusing on the exception part must never have asked for one... in that case, by all means, keep casting stones.

Last edited by transparent; Dec 6, 2013 at 9:41 am
Old Dec 6, 2013, 9:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage
"What you're doing is not right."

Originally Posted by transparent
This time, I sensed underlying hostility, and I called the supervisor out on it. I asked him why the hostility, and whether it was affecting his willingness to help.
Supervisor hostility is why Delta is now spending megabucks on lawyers defending itself in the Supreme Court.

Some Northwest (pre-Delta purchase) supervisor got hostile because he/she felt Rabbi Ginsberg complained too much and did not want to hear his complaints again.

The simple way to end the complains would have been to ban Rabbi Ginsberg from further complaints. But that hostile supervisor also decided to "What you're doing is not right" and cancel the Rabbi's frequent flyer account.

Customer service reps, and especially supervisors, need to understand that their job description does not include making editorial comments about customers' behaviors. CSR's: Handle the transaction and keep your value judgments to yourself.

It sounds like after HUCA the OP got what he wanted, but OP should not have been subjected to CSR hostility. Customers should get a "press 8 at any time during this recorded call to tag it for management review" option, maybe that would help.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 9:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
1. Rude behavior is never justified. By customers or by employees. Ever.

2. UA appears to have upped its game and is better documenting the phone bankers (HUCA). Thus, the supervisor could see that this wasn't a simple escalation.

3. While MR's are perfectly within the COC, they are not the business any carrier wants to actively encourage.

So, for reasons 2 & 3, the answer is "no" as a matter of the supervisor's discretion.
I would say the real answer is that they're too fat and happy coming out of bankruptcy and a less competitive environment.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by pdsales
Supervisor hostility is why Delta is now spending megabucks on lawyers defending itself in the Supreme Court.

Some Northwest (pre-Delta purchase) supervisor got hostile because he/she felt Rabbi Ginsberg complained too much and did not want to hear his complaints again.

The simple way to end the complains would have been to ban Rabbi Ginsberg from further complaints. But that hostile supervisor also decided to "What you're doing is not right" and cancel the Rabbi's frequent flyer account.
While I agree with your conclusions about CSR's keeping their opinions to themselves, the Minnesota rabbi is a professional whiner who deserved getting fired as a customer. NWA should have handled it differently, but I assure you that decision was NOT made by a front-line CSR.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
Sure.

And in this case the customer bought the fare and then decided later they didn't like the terms of the fare so they're trying to change it. By calling multiple times and not accepting responsibility for the decision they made to buy that fare. And yet still UA is the "bad guy" because the passenger in this case "sensed underlying hostility, and called the supervisor out on it" which basically means that we have no idea what the passenger was saying on the phone to the CSR but they didn't like what the CSR said back and then the passenger ratcheted up the stress level in the discussion.

The OP has admitted that they do this from time to time, though they also try to pretend that it is OK because they "don't make a habit out of it." Though we also have no idea how often they actually do it. And the CSR, seeing a scenario where the customer isn't actually providing value to the company, bothered to tell the passenger that.

Sometimes the truth hurts. If you cannot handle being told "no" then stop asking for favors from people who don't owe them to you.

I get that my view might not be popular here, because the company is always evil and we should have the rules bent whenever we want seems like the general view of the forum. But, quite frankly, that's a stupid view and one which is not good for the customer nor the company.
I never justified the HUCA attitude for a favor or the extreme you've taken to, so please take that strawman somewhere else. However, it is also a popular mantra here on FT that if you don't like what you're told, you HUCA. I'm sure you've probably done it a few times in asking for a favor.

I don't think UA owed him anything, but you never know what you can get if you don't ask.

That said, there's no reason for hostility on the supervisor's part. He may not agree with what the OP was doing, but there are ways to call a customer out without being a jerk about it. If I sensed hostility from a CSR, I'd call them on it too.

Originally Posted by BearX220
Those (normal, well-adjusted) airline employees were perhaps pleased that you value your relationship with US so much, you were buying more product than you strictly needed in order to have status. The UA CSR has been taught to be angry at the same customer behavior.
Quite honestly, that's the biggest difference I've seen since moving to US from UA. US actually values my business and bends over backwards to take care of me.

I haven't asked for anything unusual from them. When I have an issue with them, they take care of it the first time. If I send an email into DM CS (even the general email) and ask for a call as the 800 # CS's couldn't resolve the issue, I get a person calling me back within 24 hours on business days. I've even had calls back within a few hours of requesting them.

Whenever I've been given bad information, they honored what I was told.

When I call an elite line (even when I was a silver), I got a US-based agent answering me usually within 15 seconds. "Busy" times were under 5 minutes.

Yes, US has an arguably inferior product compared to UA. They don't have IFE or E+. Their FFP is a little on the stingy side. Their food isn't served as often as UA's. But I've never felt like crap traveling their airline, and how they've treated me since I've come over is a large part of why I've stayed. US values what I've contributed, and when they noticed my travel tapered off a bit (due to budget cuts at work), they sent me some encouragement to get me to fly more. It worked.

Contrast this to UA, when I've had to fly them for Asia. They screw up my ticket and can't fix it after 3 calls. I had to go into an airport to get it fixed. Every issue has to have the help desk called. The squabbling between PMUA/PMCO employees. I don't even feel valued on a paid C fare. Imagine what a kettle on an L fare feels.

Plus, US's version of SHARES actually works - well at least better than UA's.

Originally Posted by danielonn
United has to make money and is gracious to give the customer 24 hours which its enough time to catch a mistake so the OP decided to gamble and call after the 24 hour grace period that was his mistake.
It's not graciousness on UA's part. It's the law. UA wasn't being nice and making a one-time exception when they canceled your ticket within the 24 hour period - they were legally bound to.

After 24 hours, you're on UA's good graces in asking for a favor.

BIG difference from what you're saying.

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
You didn't just ask for assistance. You asked for assistance multiple times and was denied each time. And every time this happened, the agent had likely added some comments in your PNR. So when you say your tone was "nice," it actually comes across as condescending because essentially you are saying to the next agent (who was probably reading the comments while you were talking) "the previous agent wasn't helpful, but maybe you are nice enough to do me a favor." You were essentially belittling their colleagues.
Yeah, and that's often because the previous agent wasn't helpful. How many times do you hear No on UA anymore? No and "I can't help you" is the default response on UA - even if they could.

I find it odd that people are bashing the HUCA practice when I've seen some of the people complaining about it advise it in the past.

Belittling their colleagues? Please.

I guess we're automatically supposed to accept No as an answer - even in times when we know we're right and something CAN be done per the rules and an agent is just refusing to be helpful.

And UA wonders why it's losing customers.

Originally Posted by halls120
So, here's our summary so far.

The OP was wrong for trying to game the system outside the 24hr window. It's a very simple rule, and using HUACA to get around it is arguably offensive.

The CSR was wrong for being critical of his MR. If UA doesn't want mileage runners, they should stop advertising the benefits of acquiring miles.
Perfect summary. Let's close the thread now.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 6, 2013 at 3:27 pm Reason: merge
Old Dec 6, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
I can't judge what happened on the call. But assuming the words quotes are reasonably close, is anyone else curious or concerned about the general attitude towards elites or flyers? This is like right around 3/3 when I was told by a very sad/upset pmUA phone agent that pmCO managers had been deployed to the call centers and were instructing staff to "train the customers" and elites to expect less (a la pmCO, I assume). Any UA staff on this thread have any info on what agents are being told about mileage runs, elites, etc?
Old Dec 6, 2013, 12:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Superguy
It's not graciousness on UA's part. It's the law. UA wasn't being nice and making a one-time exception when they canceled your ticket within the 24 hour period - they were legally bound to.
To further expand, PMUA did this prior to the DOT requirement.
And the present UA policy is more generous than the min requirement of the DOT requirement.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
To further expand, PMUA did this prior to the DOT requirement.
And the present UA policy is more generous than the min requirement of the DOT requirement.
Right, but saying UA is gracious for allowing it within 24 hours is incorrect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.