Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Buy-on-Board Coming for Select South America Destinations / pmUA FA vol. Furloughs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy-on-Board Coming for Select South America Destinations / pmUA FA vol. Furloughs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2013, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by TPJ
I hope folks would vote with their feet and move to COPA, Avianca/TACA (*A) or Grupo LAN (oneWorld). They still offer complimentary meals and drinks.
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
I don't expect the Latin American carriers to transition from complimentary meal/drinks just because I think there is a cultural expectation that travelers in those regions are accustomed to, however what is the AA/DL offering on similar flights?
On AA, South America locations (Quito, etc.) are still free Y meals, but Trinidad and others in the Carribean are already BoB. It is easy to find when booking a flight if it is a $Snack or a complementary meal for Y.

I am not too clear with DL's complementary options, for South America/Latin America.

Rasheed
Old Nov 22, 2013, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jeffmoneyman
and central and south american flights, with the exception of brazil and argentina, are moving to buy on board.
So EWR-LIM, a 3600+ mile trip, is moving to BOB? That is pretty low. And that's longer than EWR-LHR if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited by BayAreaTraveler; Nov 22, 2013 at 3:54 pm Reason: changed distance
Old Nov 22, 2013, 7:44 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by goingbananas
Hmmm...yeah... so this topic specifically...since you decided to go there....

Answer this question.....if you can....if this was the "normal course" of business, why is DL hiring...(a class starting in Jan and others to follow).....and UA is furloughing? yeah..."normal course" of business huh.... its called...shrinking....

oh...and to add....why are the express carriers short of staff now....here is a hint....its not from DL's operation.....@:-)
You left out the other entity adding flight attendents... sCO, at the expense of sUA
Old Nov 22, 2013, 8:02 pm

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by BayAreaTraveler
So EWR-LIM, a 3600+ mile trip, is moving to BOB? That is pretty low. And that's longer than EWR-LHR if I'm not mistaken.
EWR-HNL is alraady BoB and is 2500 mi longer.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 8:05 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
Really sad to see PMUA FA furloughed if true. They provide much better service generally than what I have gotten on PMCO who disappear to the galley on many international flights I have been on even in BF and lack smiles.

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Impressive that UA having to cut costs so much in such a great economic environment. Mismanagement and the effect that a unionized workforce have, I suppose
I agree! If United is doing this poorly in good economic times it is sad to think what they might do in a recession with this IAH based managemnt team.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 22, 2013 at 8:08 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 22, 2013, 8:45 pm

More nickle & diming. Seems like that is all UA knows how to do....signal: emergency.

Just more of a reason for me to buy something at the airport and not waste money with UA.

Also more shrinking to survive when most others are expanding.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 8:52 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nova08
More nickle & diming. Seems like that is all UA knows how to do....signal: emergency.

Just more of a reason for me to buy something at the airport and not waste money with UA.

Also more shrinking to survive when most others are expanding.
Another reason is they don't like to spoil off the BOB items, so quite likely by the time they get 2/3 of the way down the aisle there will be nothing left to choose from.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 9:26 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Wow the ignorance is rather appalling here. Yes the bob change is a cut. But the FA furlough thing is routine and is a result of the contract that the sUA FA struck with the old UA management.

If you care enough about your credibility, focus on the bob and cocktail snack cut and stay out of the sUA FA furlough stuff.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 9:32 pm

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
Originally Posted by golfingboy
If you care enough about your credibility, focus on the bob and cocktail snack cut and stay out of the sUA FA furlough stuff.
Why is that? A service company is about it's customer facing employee's, not about a few pieces of bread. It's not my credibility at stake.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by dw
So we've reached a point where on UA, no cocktail snacks will be given out in Y, even on flights as long as 15 hrs (i.e. EWR-HKG), yet Southwest gives out peanuts/pretzels on all flights, including 40 min intra-TX and intra-CA flights.
Sorry, but incorrect. On Southwest this week HOU-ATL (~2 hours), no snacks.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Seadly, not surprised by the sUA furloughs - tough to retire 25% of the sUA 757 fleet (even more soon) and replace it with a handful of sUA 739s.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by rch4u
Seadly, not surprised by the sUA furloughs - tough to retire 25% of the sUA 757 fleet (even more soon) and replace it with a handful of sUA 739s.
Get your facts straight.
UA has taken/is taking delivery of 24 739s in 2013. More than a handful.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:12 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by ibuyyoufly
Why is that? A service company is about it's customer facing employee's, not about a few pieces of bread. It's not my credibility at stake.
The furlough is part of the sUA contract and it is an annual thing. They rotate furloughs. Better than releasing/laying off those FAs.

Here's a statistic. sUA mainline and sCO mainline pre merger flew the same number passenger seat mile, yet sUA has 6000 more FAs on their payroll.

If cutting FAs was the goal, then why are they hiring more FAs on the sCO side?

I am not a fanboy or anything, but people' reaction claiming this annual volunteer furlough is another sign that things are going downhill is just plain wrong.

Now, I do have my suite of issues with UA regarding the infestation of regionals on 3+ hour routes, massive downgrade of onboard service, lack of consistency in onboard experience, reliability is in the pits, etc.. However, the furloughs is not a part of it.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by iquitos
More Frank Lorenzo: No more cheap pretzels on ANY international flight. That should save them a fortune. i think more lounge lizards will be filling zip locks with the crunchies at the Club.
Heh, I already do that!

Originally Posted by BayAreaTraveler
LIM/CCS/GRU/EZE will still receive meals.

See post #28.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by TPJ
I hope folks would vote with their feet and move to COPA, Avianca/TACA (*A) or Grupo LAN (oneWorld). They still offer complimentary meals and drinks.
Moving to Copa is exactly what this SJO based flyer has done for all trips north going forward. It still counts as M+ metal for PQM and MM status, and the service and reliability of scheduling is better, too.

I made the decision when UA announced that CPUs and RPUs will no longer be an option from northern South America. I'll soon be MDE based, and that was a direct hit on the value of M+ for me. To force the use of a GPU or just accepting E+ on flights that short is absurd. I can't recall ever missing a CPU on Copa as a 1K, and they aren't changing the rules, so they'll still be available.

Avianca is less reliable on scheduling, IME, but I do like the seats (even in E) on their E190s. I had to get to DFW from MDE in a hurry, but at a specific time a few weeks ago. I opted to use an award because of the high fares, and I ended up on Avianca (but Taca/Lacsa metal) in E on the flight to DFW, and I got the exit row on both the MDE-SAL and SAL-DFW segments. I slept like a baby, and I arrived refreshed. I think they had free breakfast on both segments, but I didn't see it in my comatose state.

The return to SJO the next day was on UA. My outbound DFW-IAH UAX flight was delayed so as to cause a misconnect in Houston, and I ended up arriving at SJO 8 hours later than scheduled. That was in F/J as booked, but I ended up on an E145 from DFW-IAH because of the schedule change. Short flight, true, but not what I paid for.

Originally Posted by iquitos
More Frank Lorenzo: No more cheap pretzels on ANY international flight. That should save them a fortune. i think more lounge lizards will be filling zip locks with the crunchies at the Club.
Yeah, and you can buy whatever size you want, PLUS get miles on your choice of 8 airlines (not UA) here.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 23, 2013 at 2:10 am Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.