Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United (UA) To Eliminate NRT-BKK (UA837,UA838) [Now gone]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United (UA) To Eliminate NRT-BKK (UA837,UA838) [Now gone]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: Free Agent
When UA starts charging fuel surcharges for award tickets, I'll be switching over to NH, and buying Premium Economy tickets to SE Asia. It's a few hundred more than UA W fares, but I think it'll be my best option as I'll be dropping to Platinum in 2015. I'll be able to make NH Diamond, even with the decreased mileage accrual on UA metal.

In the end, I'll be paying more for my travel like everybody else, but I'll be getting a much better airline. Kind of looking forward to it, actually.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
UA to eliminate NRT-BKK 747 service(UA837,UA838)

The term JV does fit UA today. Since NH doesn't count towards UA MM, I fly SQ and UA gets nothing.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: United MM Alaska MP Cessna/Piper Captain
Originally Posted by sim510
DITTO!!!!!! I will NOT fly long haul NH economy with no leg room. Period. I will also try for FF tickets from NRT; or perhaps will fly ORD to HKG in the future and then short hop on TG in the back of the bus.
I rode NH economy NRT-TPE-NRT-BKK a year ago. It took a month before my knees quit hurting. And, no, I am NOT exaggerating. I will NOT ride NH economy again. No way, no how. My employer's medical plan would be paying for knee replacements, and having watched my wife deal with one that is something I'd be happy to skip.

So, when I make a SEA-NRT run next May I may wind up going through SFO. Wonderful.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
The term JV does fit UA today. Since NH doesn't count towards UA MM, I fly SQ and UA gets nothing.
Is that a form of victory? If flying SQ is an option for your travel then it makes sense to fly them. But then you get zero UA MM credit. You could fly UA/NH and then you'd get MM credit for the TPAC portion.

I guess the logic whereby you refuse to fly UA because they won't give you MM credit for the whole trip, and instead book a different airline where you don't get any MM credit at all sounds a bit warped to me
Old Dec 13, 2013, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Something something cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
The elimination of this flight has hit. My BKK-NRT segment in August has been omitted, along with a message to contact UA to have the ticket re-issued. NH is offering 787 service at the time on this route, which is much better than their 767 or high-density 777. I presume NH's 787 is better than TG's 380, which is the other possible option.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
The elimination of this flight has hit. My BKK-NRT segment in August has been omitted, along with a message to contact UA to have the ticket re-issued. NH is offering 787 service at the time on this route, which is much better than their 767 or high-density 777. I presume NH's 787 is better than TG's 380, which is the other possible option.
The 787 on this route is awful like UA's. High density 380. Take the 380 if you can.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
The 787 on this route is awful like UA's. High density 380. Take the 380 if you can.
According to seatguru, Y pitch on NH's 787 is 33-34", width of 18.6". On TG's 388, it's 31-32" and 18". I know seatguru is often wrong, but can you confirm that's incorrect?
Old Dec 13, 2013, 6:07 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
According to seatguru, Y pitch on NH's 787 is 33-34", width of 18.6". On TG's 388, it's 31-32" and 18". I know seatguru is often wrong, but can you confirm that's incorrect?
NH has two versions of the 787. The one with a PE cabin is the one to avoid. Thread here. I personally don't have any information which routes the HD version flies.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
NH has two versions of the 787. The one with a PE cabin is the one to avoid. Thread here. I personally don't have any information which routes the HD version flies.
Thanks for the info and link. ^ The booking seat maps loaded indicate it's their 222-seat version (42C/180Y), but of course that's subject to change.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by star_world
Is that a form of victory? If flying SQ is an option for your travel then it makes sense to fly them. But then you get zero UA MM credit. You could fly UA/NH and then you'd get MM credit for the TPAC portion.

I guess the logic whereby you refuse to fly UA because they won't give you MM credit for the whole trip, and instead book a different airline where you don't get any MM credit at all sounds a bit warped to me
But isn't booking away from UA the only real and effective way to send a message to the company? Seems to me that if you fly UA to NRT and NH to BKK, you're ratifying the logic of the decision to pull UA metal off of the BKK leg.

But since we're talking about MM credit, do you still thin UA will eventually give us MM credit for flying on a route operated by a JV partner?
Old Dec 13, 2013, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Flights finally pulled...

Looks like they have finally updated the systems. The last UA837 NRT-BKK will operate on Friday March 28 2014, and the last UA838 BKK-NRT will be on Saturday March 29, 2014.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 7:18 pm

My April flight went missing. Guess they will finally give me my money back and I think I will give KE a go and trying the upstairs of the A380 for the long haul portion to JFK and LAX. I only ever reached gold for the first time and it seems like will be the last time for a while. Oh well, will travel based on price/quality considerations for a while, not any loyalty program.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 9:41 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID
Originally Posted by halls120
But isn't booking away from UA the only real and effective way to send a message to the company? Seems to me that if you fly UA to NRT and NH to BKK, you're ratifying the logic of the decision to pull UA metal off of the BKK leg.
95% of travelers won't care. They'll still be able to get to Bangkok even though it will be a knee-shattering experience for anybody even remotely tall.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:07 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FiveMileFinal
95% of travelers won't care. They'll still be able to get to Bangkok even though it will be a knee-shattering experience for anybody even remotely tall.
And this is a good thing for us. If everyone knew how great a difference it makes, they'd work as hard as we do to fly in comfort, and there would be way more competition for the good seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.