Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United (UA) To Eliminate NRT-BKK (UA837,UA838) [Now gone]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United (UA) To Eliminate NRT-BKK (UA837,UA838) [Now gone]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by seacarl
By the way, I recently flew NH's 763 in C class from NRT. If that's the aircraft they use on NRT-BKK, the C class seat is much less comfortable than on UA. I would describe it as barco lounger - it doesn't go fully flat at any angle, your feet are supported on a leg rest. Not really comfortable for sleeping, which is usually want I want to do when connecting from USA since the NRT departure time works out to around 1am PST.

Service and food are good, but the seat is poor. (NH's transpacific C seat in 788 was great, but not the Asian regional one on 763.)
I agree, NH has a total cr@p hard product on the route. I would never fly them. No F and C is terrible.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by seacarl
By the way, I recently flew NH's 763 in C class from NRT. If that's the aircraft they use on NRT-BKK, the C class seat is much less comfortable than on UA. I would describe it as barco lounger - it doesn't go fully flat at any angle, your feet are supported on a leg rest. Not really comfortable for sleeping, which is usually want I want to do when connecting from USA since the NRT departure time works out to around 1am PST.

Service and food are good, but the seat is poor. (NH's transpacific C seat in 788 was great, but not the Asian regional one on 763.)
Originally Posted by 5khours
I agree, NH has a total cr@p hard product on the route. I would never fly them. No F and C is terrible.
NH takes the 763 off the route soon and replaces with a 777.

I have been on the NH 763 in Y, and it was pretty bad. I have not been on their 777, so hopefully it is a better Y seat.

I *THINK* it is a 777-200 with angled seats in C and no First Class.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 5:55 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by goodeats21
NH takes the 763 off the route soon and replaces with a 777.

I have been on the NH 763 in Y, and it was pretty bad. I have not been on their 777, so hopefully it is a better Y seat.

I *THINK* it is a 777-200 with angled seats in C and no First Class.
It is only angled C seats on the 772 from BKK-NRT. I took it last week (NH916), I was thinking during the flight that this must be the only route where UA beats NH hands down since NH has no F and I assume all C are barca lounger type seats
Old Feb 15, 2014, 8:07 am

The problem was that TG never flew the 77W consistently on TYO<>BKK until late 2012...
I think we are in agreement about the Thai (leased) suites in First. Better hard product.

Not sure if your comments about the old TG 747 vs UA GF were overall or just hard product...
I was talking old TG 747 First vs UA GF. (To be clear - I am talking the Thai 747 1-2-1 First) We disagree. Both are lie flat. I think it is just preference.

Until last year when TG had consistent flat bed in J, I can't imagine many people would pick the sliders and recliners on TG over the UA flat beds despite the better TG service.
If it was not a redeye, I would pick TG recliners over UA lie flat. However, I can see that many, if not most, would agree with you. But, again, just a preference.

F of course used to be more of toss up. On balance and taking into account service and soft product, I think until last year UA had a very competitive product but not a superior one.
Competititve in First? If the price was cheaper on UA, I would agree, "competitive". Price the same, I think we disagree, but, certainly, it is preference.

Now however, they have an inferior product on this route.
We agree.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by 110pgl
I think we are in agreement about the Thai (leased) suites in First. Better hard product.
Absolutely. I loved the suites in the leased 77W.

I was talking old TG 747 First vs UA GF. (To be clear - I am talking the Thai 747 1-2-1 First) We disagree. Both are lie flat. I think it is just preference.
Yes. The 10 seater. I agree it's mostly personal preference. Very close though IMHO.

If it was not a redeye, I would pick TG recliners over UA lie flat. However, I can see that many, if not most, would agree with you. But, again, just a preference.
I always do the red-eye in both directions, but the flight is long enough that I'd take always pick a flat bed even on a day flight.

Competititve in First? If the price was cheaper on UA, I would agree, "competitive". Price the same, I think we disagree, but, certainly, it is preference.
Just out of curiosity. How much cheaper would UA need to be to get you to fly UA instead of old TG 747. For me, it wouldn't take much to swing me one way or another.

We agree.
Yes, I think TG has some quirks, but overall they have done an absolutely great job offering a very good all around product.

It's actually sad, because I think there are many things UA could have done inexpensively to improve their product and stay competitive. Unfortunately their mentality has been not to figure out how to improve product but rather how to cut costs. That is not a winning strategy. It might work domestically in the US but it's not going to work on TPAC on intra-Asia.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 10:05 am

Just out of curiosity. How much cheaper would UA need to be to get you to fly UA instead of old TG 747. For me, it wouldn't take much to swing me one way or another.
Great question. I am cheap. So maybe a few hundred dollars would do it.

With UA leaving BKK, I guess this is no longer a debate,
Old Feb 15, 2014, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by 110pgl
With UA leaving BKK, I guess this is no longer a debate,
Who knows. I don't think Smisek will make it through the end of the year. After that, maybe there will be a re-think.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It almost seems to me that if the SFO-TPE nonstop does not fill up, then can tag back the TPE-BKK leg somehow.

Ideally using the same crew for TPE-BKK-TPE to keep the cost lower. That is not possible with the current schedule though (since the plane has to overnight in BKK but not long enough for crew rest as it has to make it back to TPE then SFO for the AM connects out of SFO).
Old Feb 15, 2014, 4:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes, I think TG has some quirks, but overall they have done an absolutely great job offering a very good all around product.
Just flew the TG 380 from NRT-BKK in J (after UA cancelled). TG is now so far ahead of UA in both hard and soft product . . . it was like taking a different mode of travel. Like comparing a covered wagon to a Cadillac. Literally everything was head and shoulders better, from the seat comfort, to the AVOD, to the quality of the hot towels (which they handed out every hour or so). And we're not even going to talk about the food and beverages.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by username
It almost seems to me that if the SFO-TPE nonstop does not fill up, then can tag back the TPE-BKK leg somehow.

Ideally using the same crew for TPE-BKK-TPE to keep the cost lower. That is not possible with the current schedule though (since the plane has to overnight in BKK but not long enough for crew rest as it has to make it back to TPE then SFO for the AM connects out of SFO).
If nothing else, UA would have the best equipment on that route. TG's brightly colored recliners in C leave a lot to be desired. Not that it really matters on a 3 hour long 1500 mile flight.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by unavaca
If nothing else, UA would have the best equipment on that route. TG's brightly colored recliners in C leave a lot to be desired. Not that it really matters on a 3 hour long 1500 mile flight.
Actually, TG looks to be running this config http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Tha...330-300_V2.php on the route, which is quite nice actually. Angle flat but very comfortable IMO.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Actually, TG looks to be running this config http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Tha...330-300_V2.php on the route, which is quite nice actually. Angle flat but very comfortable IMO.
I, admittedly, have not flown the route on TG in over a year. Last time I did it, it was barcaloungers. Nice to see they've at least matched the NH angle-flat intra-Asia standard.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 10:33 pm

The angled flat seats on the 330 are not bad for a 2 or 3 hours flight. Sure beats an ERJ-145.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 10:57 pm

The angled flat seats on the 330 are not bad for a 2 or 3 hours flight. Sure beats an ERJ-145.
On the upside, TPE-BKK is ETOPS-60 all the way, so I'm sure they could use a 145
Old Feb 15, 2014, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unavaca
I think EVA uses the 777 on some flights to BKK and their C would be better than UA.

I remember in the early 90s taking UA between TPE and BKK. There was even printed menu in Y!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.