Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United (UA) To Eliminate NRT-BKK (UA837,UA838) [Now gone]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United (UA) To Eliminate NRT-BKK (UA837,UA838) [Now gone]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2013, 2:07 pm

Programs: CM PP DL GM
Talking No more UA to BKK

I guess now I can travel via Frankfurt with LH and use my GPU
Old Nov 19, 2013, 2:09 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
NRT-BKK is showing on dot bomb for next summer as a 777 whereas ICN is already showing as a 738.... So hopefully it was just a 744-->777
I think it is just downgauging NRT-BKK from a 747 to a 777. The announcement said it was cancelling NRT-BKK 747 service which is odd...why not just say downgauging the route?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 2:09 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ElNegro
Yes, United should keep flying money loosing routes such as SEA/NRT & NRT/BKK.
I'm still unclear how UA could possibly have been losing money on NRT-BKK. There was enough seat demand for a 747 for a good portion of the year, and upgrades were fairly difficult, so there had to be some level of paid premium traffic. Yeah, full flights don't equal profitable flights, but if UA was losing money on that flight, they were doing something incredibly wrong.

I suspect it's more that UA wants to offload the flight to ANA, revenue share with them, and use the plane to make $$ elsewhere. They want their cake and they want to eat it, too.

Time will tell if they're successful in so doing.

Originally Posted by keitherson
So is United's strategy basically "we cannot compete with other airlines, so we will admit defeat and stick to adding routes in our monopoly positions in hub cities"?
That was a sad explicit admission from UA regarding the SEA-NRT axe. And it's also illustrative of the fact that Jeffy & Co. can't understand how to run an airline which isn't based around fortress hubs.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by mh3265a
I think it is just downgauging NRT-BKK from a 747 to a 777. The announcement said it was cancelling NRT-BKK 747 service which is odd...why not just say downgauging the route?

It's been canceled. Last day of operation is March 30, 2014.

Originally Posted by exerda
I'm still unclear how UA could possibly have been losing money on NRT-BKK. There was enough seat demand for a 747 for a good portion of the year, and upgrades were fairly difficult, so there had to be some level of paid premium traffic. Yeah, full flights don't equal profitable flights, but if UA was losing money on that flight, they were doing something incredibly wrong.

I suspect it's more that UA wants to offload the flight to ANA, revenue share with them, and use the plane to make $$ elsewhere. They want their cake and they want to eat it, too.

Time will tell if they're successful in so doing.

That was a sad explicit admission from UA regarding the SEA-NRT axe. And it's also illustrative of the fact that Jeffy & Co. can't understand how to run an airline which isn't based around fortress hubs.
The yields were probably trash on both routes. I'm disappointed in the move as well, but ANA serves both routes well as a JV partner.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 19, 2013 at 3:43 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 19, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
Looks like

he is retreating from Asia and the Tokyo hub. I have the impression the United gets a lot of Japanese front of the plane business traffic on SEA-NRT and NRT-ICN/NRT-BKK. 737 will not cut it. They want to force us on the the 747 flight to Seoul. I won't bite. I preferred to transit Tokyo and compete for upgrades on the 777. I like the idea of the same familiar carrier and crews and the Tokyo Lounge. I imagine NRT costs a lot of money but they have a market there they will lose. Handing over Asia to the partner is not a good long term move. Seems also there is substantial NRT-ICN US military/government traffic.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone5: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.1.1; SC-02E Build/JRO03C) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/31.0.1650.59 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Originally Posted by MARIOCASTRO777
You need four GPU since it is segment based and don't you want 2MM? Trap everywhere.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MARIOCASTRO777
Yes, but LH business class is just awful. Narrow and lay-flat at an angle.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by SPLITTERZ
The yields were probably trash on both routes. I'm disappointed in the move as well, but ANA serves both routes well as a JV partner.
Except if UA can't carry me all the way to BKK, no reason to choose them for the TPAC leg as well.

Pesky problem with trashing the vaunted route-network. Between UAX at the beginning and *A member* at the end, UA is pretty weak as the choice for the middle.

*(not revenue sharing, as that is only TPAC, not intra Asia.... I think)

Last edited by goodeats21; Nov 19, 2013 at 2:34 pm Reason: added
Old Nov 19, 2013, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by wxguy
It will be as of 30-March-2014. The employees in BKK were informed yesterday that all UA flying will be terminated then. ANA will provide codeshare flights to NRT. Flights currently in the reservations database have yet to be updated.
So if you take a UA flight TPAC to Tokyo then an ANA codeshare to BKK on an award, is that considered a partner award? Does it go under UA award schedule or partner airline award schedule?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iquitos
A 737 to Seoul? Gimme a break.
And Saigon . . .

Originally Posted by susiesan
So if you take a UA flight TPAC to Tokyo then an ANA codeshare to BKK on an award, is that considered a partner award? Does it go under UA award schedule or partner airline award schedule?
It's an ANA operated flight so it is a partner award.

And a GPU won't work on it either.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by unavaca
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozziegumby

A further move to strengthen the Continental side of the business? (eg the new routes out of IAH)

Bit by bit the old United is fading into history

What? SFO has been one of the big winners of the merger with more frequencies and routes since 2010. IIRC, SFO was a PMUA hub
Replacing wide bodies with 737 to Hawaii may add a frequency but is a loss. PMUA @ HKG, SYD, SGN all have lost capacity or class of service. BKK is removed completely.

" Yeh but SFO-LIT has an extra option"doesn't make up for the above reductions.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by kb1992
This. ^^^

With all kinds of devaluation, it doesn't make much sense to spend lots of money and time to chase status.

This is especially true when you need 280,000 miles for a *A F ticket, when your name appears as #20 on CPU upgrade stand-by list, when PQD kicks in.

Many people should stop flying as much, and enjoy life a little more. It's easier to get miles from credit card spending.

UA management encourages this behavior right?
Agree!

People should fly when they have to fly.

Now the miles don't really worth much and reduced elite benefits, what is the point of wasting money flying for no reasons. Someone should really examine the logic of mileage running for miles and status really make any sense in this new environment.

As for someone like me who have to fly and am getting tired with my work travel commitments, I actually prefer non-stop and less transfers now versus going through the NRT hubs on transpac routes. However, for sentimental reasons, I don't like to see BKK and SEA eliminated, but I see the business reasons for it.

I am voting with my $$ by flying more NH, SQ, CA on tranpac routes. I have never thought that CA would improve so much in such a short time, and I am really impressed with its 773ER services to/from China. Transatantic (except for London routes), LH, OS and LX are wonderful airlines and I don't see why people pay to fly in UA premium cabins. All really that is leftovers are for people who are looking for upgrades.

I am hold my saddle after crossing 3 MM BIS in a couple of months, although I am a shoot-in for 4MM (lifetime GS) if I keep flying United for business trips, but why not just enjoy flying better airlines and have a good travel experience except when I need to fly cheap and looking for upgrades.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
How does UAL think they will feed those NRT and HKG flights by downgauging the feeder flights? BKK origin pax can just fly TG direct. Why would an ICN pax want to stop in NRT? IMO they are going to lose a lot of valuable local traffic. Is this about unloading the flight attendants replacing them with the GUM base?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Replacing wide bodies with 737 to Hawaii may add a frequency but is a loss. PMUA @ HKG, SYD, SGN all have lost capacity or class of service. BKK is removed completely.

" Yeh but SFO-LIT has an extra option"doesn't make up for the above reductions.
Let's not forget the reintroduction of SFO-ATL, SFO-CDG and SFO-TPE, as well as the new SFO-RDU, SFO-IND, SFO-FLL, and SFO-CTU, plus a handful of RJ destinations. SFO has been the overwhelming winner of all of the UA hubs and has more non-stop destinations now than it did four years ago.

So nice of you to intentionally leave out half a dozen routes
Old Nov 19, 2013, 4:03 pm

Programs: RVT 1K
BKK?

Are they serious?

I saw it was going to a CO 777 next year but cut it all together?

Probably the last thing keeping me at UA.

There is NO way they can not be making money on that flight, I am on it every 8 weeks, it is always packed....there is no VISA for Thais to go to Japan anymore, THAI is running an A380 on that route plus 2 other flights and killing it!!

What is wrong with these people?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.