Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United (UA) To Eliminate NRT-BKK (UA837,UA838) [Now gone]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United (UA) To Eliminate NRT-BKK (UA837,UA838) [Now gone]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Good bye, Bangkok. UA to eliminate NRT-BKK 747 service(UA837,UA838)

Horrid retrench.

Where does the sUA 777 and 747 go? Victorville?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:56 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by dw
A poster in the related thread on the investors' presentation today wrote that UA's BKK employees were notified yesterday that the station would be shutting down.
Quote from another thread:
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
NRT-BKK is showing on dot bomb for next summer as a 777 whereas ICN is already showing as a 738.... So hopefully it was just a 744-->777
Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:04 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Post #61 in the other thread:

Originally Posted by wxguy
It will be as of 30-March-2014. The employees in BKK were informed yesterday that all UA flying will be terminated then. ANA will provide codeshare flights to NRT. Flights currently in the reservations database have yet to be updated.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Bloomberg reporting NRT-BKK is gone:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-1...turn-plan.html
Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Horrid retrench.

Where does the sUA 777 and 747 go? Victorville?
Given the operational reliability (or lack thereof) of the 747 fleet, hopefully planted at SFO or ORD as a spare.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:15 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I suppose one can fly UA to HKG and then TG to BKK, which would maximize the time I can spend in the front cabin and minimize the time I have to spend in partner E-. Seriously, though, how was UA losing money on BKK-NRT? If demand was enough to support a 747 part of the year and a 777 the rest, and the premium cabins were a fairly tough upgrade (as they sure seemed to be to me), that has to translate into some degree of profitability.

I guess UA is figuring they can revenue share with ANA. Sad, really, as I will not take one of those flights--particularly when I can't upgrade on a 6.5 hour flight.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:29 pm

It might be a tad off topic, but the Gulf based airlines are watching the U.S. market closely. With decent pricing, good service and comfortable seating it's an option that will not be overlooked for long. And if the flight can be credited to a U.S. program like AA's, then what is so disadvantageous doing the U.S.-BKK flight on one of their carriers with the stop in the Gulf, where the lounges are fantastic and transfers are short and painless?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Don't feel TOO bad. United is still selling NRT->BKK on their metal, for travel after the BKK route is discontinued.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Neil35
...and all added flights on the list are from USA.

With the de facto de-hubbing of NRT, intra-Asia flyers will have hard time staying with United. They may be able to get to their other destinations in Asia on *A or JV partner flights, but there are still significant downsides (as I mentioned in NRT-HKG thread):

1. There are no E+ seats.

2. Nothing counts toward MM lifetime status.

3. Can't use GPU on partners' routes.

4. UA has had technical difficulties from time to time selling UA and NH flights on the same ticket -- bad for USA-based MileagePlus members seeking 016 tickets.

5. A greatly inflated intra-Asia award chart now that all flights to those cities must involve *A partners.
Agreed. From the threads about UA vs AA, I thought a key advantage of staying with UA was their strong route in Asia?

As BKK is a frequent destination, this further erodes any reason to stay with UA.

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
SEA - LAX sees the return of mainline service effective April 1st.
Curious...all mainline, or a mix with UAX?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Neil35
I have been wondering too... what happened to those NRT slots vacated by cancelled routes. United certainly has not filled them with enough flights from USA.

Is United going to sell the rights to those slots for one-time profits?
I'm guessing here but they dropped NRT-HKG and added DEN-NRT, dropping SEA-NRT and are adding a 2nd IAH-NRT, so that just leaves the vacated NRT-BKK slot.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by exerda
I suppose one can fly UA to HKG and then TG to BKK, which would maximize the time I can spend in the front cabin and minimize the time I have to spend in partner E-. Seriously, though, how was UA losing money on BKK-NRT? If demand was enough to support a 747 part of the year and a 777 the rest, and the premium cabins were a fairly tough upgrade (as they sure seemed to be to me), that has to translate into some degree of profitability.
The problem is that UA doesn't codeshare with TG through HKG so you have to buy two tickets. Moreover, the fares to HKG are just as much if not more than they were to BKK.

I guess UA is figuring they can revenue share with ANA. Sad, really, as I will not take one of those flights--particularly when I can't upgrade on a 6.5 hour flight.
Originally Posted by Ghery
This stinks. Looks like my trips to Asia will be through SFO. I WILL NOT ride ANA, not after the pain (physical) they inflicted on me last year. It took my knees a month to stop hurting after being jammed into the seat in front of me on three legs. I will avoid DL if at all possible, no legroom in coach on them, too. Nothing new, I first rode them in 1976 and that DC-8 was a sardine can, too. I typically fly out of SEA, so losing the SEA-NRT flights will hurt. Well, there's always the Q400 to Vancouver, followed by Air Canada...
You could, well, buy a business class ticket if the room in coach is not sufficient for you.

BKK-SFO/LAX in C on NH is about $3,300 round-trip.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 1:43 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
The problem is that UA doesn't codeshare with TG through HKG so you have to buy two tickets. Moreover, the fares to HKG are just as much if not more than they were to BKK.
You're right about the lack of a codeshare issue. So it would indeed require two tickets (and getting the HKG-BKK plated on 016 stock will be a challenge, though not impossible).

UA seems to have real issues with codesharing with TG; for example, last time I tried to price out an itin to HKT, UA codeshared Asiana via ICN, but not TG via BKK, and that OZ codeshare was more than $1000 more than 2 tickets connecting in BKK would have been.

I am not looking forward to ANA economy for NRT-BKK!
Old Nov 19, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
It looks like several posts got hosed in the merging of threads.

The supposedly 31" pitch in Y on NH's 767 is indeed tight and uncomfortable to say the least. Somehow, there has to be less legroom on this NH config than other planes with a reported 31" pitch... maybe the seats/seatback pockets are thicker?

Cancellation of NRT-BKK is a shock because IME, the planes are always full and GPU upgrades are difficult at best, not clearing on a V or Q fare twice this year. This really stinks.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I wonder how much this has to do with UA's decision? Whenever I priced a W fare SFO-BKK it was in the same ballpark as SFO-NRT and SFO-HKG (i.e., a few hundred dollars either way) - in other words, UA did not seem to be able to charge much in the way of extra $$ for that 2,800 mile NRT-BKK leg.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: United MM Alaska MP Cessna/Piper Captain

You could, well, buy a business class ticket if the room in coach is not sufficient for you.

BKK-SFO/LAX in C on NH is about $3,300 round-trip.
My employer only purchases cattle car. Business class would be out of my pocket. I like where I work, but not that much.

Originally Posted by andyh64000
DL has E+ to Asia now from SEA for Plats and higher (I think a 1K can match to plat). I am going to give it a try. The crack of dawn flights to connect through SFO are brutal and then being stuck in E+ on a 747 is at least as bad as ANA.
E+ on a 747 beats the heck out my experience with coach on ANA last year. No comparison at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.