Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United (UA) To Eliminate NRT-BKK (UA837,UA838) [Now gone]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United (UA) To Eliminate NRT-BKK (UA837,UA838) [Now gone]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Don't OZ/SQ/TG still have NRT-BKK service? All better options than UA and easy for redemptions too.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:38 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by burlax
Don't OZ/SQ/TG still have NRT-BKK service? All better options than UA and easy for redemptions too.
TG just switched a B777 for A380 for a total of TWO flights a day using super jumbo.

Of course we can't use GPUs even on a codeshare, so this is very, very painful, and will increase people trying to use GPUs on HKG and SIN slights - or is that also gone

ANA also flies nonstop on this route.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
But how was the yield on the route? BKK tends to attract a lot of low yield leisure travellers and award redemptions on many other airlines. Maybe United was suffering from the same, lots of pax but insufficient revenue for it to make sense.
Do you know the UAL load is low yield leisure?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
I cannot believe that UA has dropped BKK. The flight from NRT was always full, wether a 777 0r a 747. What is the "thinking" or lack of it on Jeff's part? The end of BKK is painful
You're a bit to the discovery/discussion on this one
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:49 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
Maybe it is beacuae they can't get a 2 class 787 on the route. United cant compete in Asia like they could before the merger. People will not pay a premium to fly Unted anymore with the alignment to PMCO Style of service! No one wanted to fly a UA 787 from SEA to NRT. I know I wouldn't that is a huge downgrade when you could fly a 3 class 777 a few months earlier. Continental was a small airline with a few hubs with little competition. They can't compete anymore.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by mike1968
And unfortunately for COua with these moves to stop the flow over Tokyo, many of us won't be flying COua. I'm definitely not getting on a 4 hour domestic CO front cabin to get to SFO and then fly C; or woes, be subjected to it after a 12 hour TPAC.

The ANA JV "might" help, but if it earns me nothing toward the elite requirements, then it seals the deal with OW as their partner flights do count. Having been burned on UA-fault misconnects to LH in FRA, where they both say it's the other ones issue...simply no way I'll do a COua/anyone flight regardless of the ticket stock.

Given how few US companies operate in the Japanese market and how poorly Japan tech is doing, I'm still missing the logic of turning NRT into an O&D as I just don't think there is enough demand to justify that. Seems to me well over half an ORD wide body C/F cabin herds to the transit security line rather than heading to customs.

BKK is also not all fun and sun, with lots of businesses there plus easy connections to the next emerging economies in SE Asia as part of the business trip.

definitely the nail in the UA coffin for me.
Your post doesn't make sense. What city is a 4 hour flight from SFO that had, but lost, Asia service? Also, why do you think that US companies don't have a large presence in Japan (and vice versa)? Japan is the largest Asian market from the US and the best yielding one as well.

Originally Posted by dsquared37
TG is far from growing aggressively; like UA they're well behind projected growth.

Also UA could rely upon lots of ancillary revenue form bags etc since this was a tourist destination and there were assuredly lots of bags checked by non-elites on usually packed to the gills planes.
Thai is taking delivery of new wide bodies including A380s. I guess that's why I thought their growing.

I guess I am confused. If BKK is such a great market, why would United pull out?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:56 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fly18725
I guess I am confused. If BKK is such a great market, why would United pull out?
The problem is you're assuming UA management is making good decisions and thus BKK can't be profitable / more profitable than using the plane elsewhere. Examine that assumption and it might be more clear how this could be yet another mistake.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA *Gold
Wow! I would never have thought they would drop NRT>BKK>NRT. Although I did notice at times it was $2,000 cheaper to go to BKK than to stop at NRT.

Economy and business were always full--J with lots of oil and gas folks on the way to Burma, Bangladesh and peninsular Malaysia in business. It was always a tough upgrade NRT>BKK and reverse.

Maybe they will put in some good codeshares with ANA and TG. IAD>PEK>BKK with PEK>BKK on TG is 3 hours shorter than IAD>NRT>BKK on UA. Plus the return on TG leaves at 1010am instead or 6am.

Cancellation may be due to having to leave a 777 on the ground from 11pm until BKK>NRT at 6am.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Maybe UA is planning a 787 flight direct from USA to BKK at a future date?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:01 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by golferjoe
Cancellation may be due to having to leave a 777 on the ground from 11pm until BKK>NRT at 6am.
They stay on the ground a lot longer in Brazil.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
The problem is you're assuming UA management is making good decisions and thus BKK can't be profitable / more profitable than using the plane elsewhere. Examine that assumption and it might be more clear how this could be yet another mistake.
Profitability is a binary function. If it was profitable, why would it be cut. If it wasn't profitable, or wasn't profitable enough, what do you think management neglected to do to improve the routes performance? Increase upgrades and change the service so people buying coach fares make United their first choice for travel?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by cova
Maybe UA is planning a 787 flight direct from USA to BKK at a future date?
It'd have to be well in the future, considering FT'ers have reported BKK staff have been notified of being laid off once the route is canceled. (Contrast to, e.g., current situation at TPE.)
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by burlax
No it's really just TG and NH for a nonstop to NRT-BKK. Fairly limited frequency, and not a particularly easy redemption on either (unless you like Y). It's much easier to get to BKK nonstop on a J or F award through ICN, PEK, or HKG.

I suspect that frequent travelers between south-east asia and the U.S. who had stayed loyal to UA will now be seriously considering a switch to SQ or CX.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
Are we sure that this route is completely going away? Maybe the 747 that flies the route part of the year is going away, but, to be replaced by 777 year round?.. I fly this route numerous times a year and the NRT to BKK leg is always packed. It's the hardest leg to get upgraded on my trip from ORD. I am shocked if this route will be halted. Say it ain't so!
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:11 pm

Companies are looking for the next quarter earnings , plus they know a lot more about the numbers than we do......

I hate to see UA gut the asian service , because if BKK is not worth serving is SIN ?

And then they can save money in NRT by closing the Red Carpet club......

As a quarter to quarter business plan it might be the thing to do ,
but as the long run , Asia is the growing market compared to Europe or anywhere else !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.