Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Offer every Kettle who wants a new Visa card 25K or whatever free miles, and this is what you get. :-:
well at least his helps the kettles stay off our planes without paying for the seat...It also does drive the bar higher for the non frequent traveler, so actually the planes should be full of those who actually earned the right to be there...whether through cash or miles.

For one, I'm happy that this will help price out some of that demographic.

Flame away!
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:39 am

Programs: UA 1K3MM
Who is doing a better status match these days? DL or AA?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:39 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
The Mrs & I saw this coming. After not having used a redemption in years we've been redeeming int'l & now that we know 2/1 is d day I suspect we'll get our Dec 2014 int'l vacation plans set by then!
I hope you can do that before something like say...."*net blocking" kicks in or something similar to that until D day....
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:40 am

FYI the 10,000 mile domestic stopover is eliminated.

It now requires pricing as an additional one-way segment, so a fully saver domestic award with stopover will be 25,000 + 12,500 = 37,500 miles.

No sign of change to international.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:40 am

Scare tactic on halloween!!!!
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:41 am

Programs: AS 100K
Tweeted United and Chase $flyerunfriendly. Keep it trending, everyone.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
HAHAHA and queue total exit from UA. This 1K has one more flight in 2 weeks that will secure Platinum for next year and then I literally no reason to ever fly UA again, oh and time to give ol' Chase a call and cancel the CC. Consider yourselves victorious in the war against elites UA, you finally did it. Oh and for the record UA, you can't devalue miles the way DL has unless you're going to offer the same quality of product that DL offers.

I literally just booked award travel to Europe for next summer and was between saving my miles and booking Y one way and J the way back and read a quote from Lucky I think saying that holding miles was stupid because you were always at risk of a major devaluation so ended up doing roundtrip in J. Guess I will burn the rest of my miles before Feb 1, or at the very least make a booking and just hold it at the current rates.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:42 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by SuiteFlyer
Who is doing a better status match these days? DL or AA?
This probably belongs in another thread, but I got a fee-free match to AA EXP last week.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Was there an announcement I missed about reduced domestic award availability? I seldom have trouble (unless over Christmas or similar) finding saver domestic tix.

The two years I was a 1K, I did it for well under $4000, and Platinum last year was under $3000 (and on-track for the same this year).

As I say, this inflationary reality is hardest on international front-cabin flyers who have been able to enjoy (as have I for domestic redemptions) accruing miles from sub-$200 coast-to-coast trips and spending on international F/J.
This really hurts the 'Maximizers' the most, those who fly on a $8000 value ticket for $3000 spent. You really can't blame United for this too much as it is a business decision and they came to a realization that they were giving some of the best stuff away in essence for free (Credit card sign ups,etc). If anyone of us were running an airline we would see this differently. Airlines want their planes full of rev paying passengers....Simple economics..... And the minority that we are on FT as far as UA passengers/elites as whole are concerned will have little impact on their level of elite tier members. Lets not kid ourselves.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by vforni
This probably belongs in another thread, but I got a fee-free match to AA EXP last week.
Yeah same, I got one back in September and am about 3000 points shy of completing it and securing my EXP through Feb 2015
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:45 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Was there an announcement I missed about reduced domestic award availability? I seldom have trouble (unless over Christmas or similar) finding saver domestic tix.
Why does UA have to make an announcement? Just because you think you did not get enhanced does not mean the results will be to your liking.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:46 am
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
I hope that everybody who is venting here is also sending a quick message to [email protected]. I just send a page long message, letting him know that, as a Global Services member of many years, he will not see a dollar of my premium spend anymore, until they rediscover the value of loyalty and change their customer service policies...
United is a business that will make the decisions most likely to maximise their profit - until you vote with your dollars, there will be no improvement!
There are plenty of better choices, go make them!
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:47 am

Programs: UA Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by civicmon
I'm looking for the answer to this question. I want to burn the remaining miles I have to SEAsia and I'm more than happy to book by Feb 1 and miss the increase if I can make changes with the standard caveats w/ changes.

I'm only sitting on about 65k miles for a Y award and not looking forward to a 15k increase to SEAsia
I would also like to know the answer to this and it seems there is no answer yet.

If I book an F award today, will I be able to change it at the mileage I paid, or will I be subject to an additional collection after Feb 1st?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bse118
Major bummer.

I haven't booked any 2014 travel yet. I'm gonna book my last flights for 2013 to push me over the 1K mark. And then think long and hard about using that 1K status for a match to DL or AA and ditching my Chase card.
Originally Posted by CDKing
Had this been announced a while ago i would have stopped at Plat. 1K requal flight is tomorrow . Just waiting to see how the AA/US merger plays out. I'm assuming either way a massive deval to AA program is next.
Given what I was booked to already, it's very little additional pain to get to 1K, and I figure that gives me better status match ammunition if I go that route.

Problem is I too assume a massive deval to AA is on the way, and AA or DL are really the only alternatives given my travel patterns.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:49 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
This really hurts the 'Maximizers' the most, those who fly on a $8000 value ticket for $3000 spent. You really can't blame United for this too much as it is a business decision and they came to a realization that they were giving some of the best stuff away in essence for free (Credit card sign ups,etc). If anyone of us were running an airline we would see this differently. Airlines want their planes full of rev paying passengers....Simple economics..... And the minority that we are on FT as far as UA passengers/elites as whole are concerned will have little impact on their level of elite tier members. Lets not kid ourselves.
Exactly on all counts. This is likely a pretty shrewd, if unwelcome to the Maximizers, business decision.

Originally Posted by Fyd
There are plenty of better choices, go make them!
For my flying patterns, actually there are not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.