Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2014, 1:04 am

My first and last flights (domestic) are on United for a first class Australia award via PEK-BKK, and all remaining flights are on partner carriers. The 2 UA segments are in coach. 5 partner flights are in O first class, and one in I business class.

I just called to make sure that I was wait-listed for the UA flights on this ticket and was told that because I have partners in the record that I cannot wait-list for the two UA domestic segments because partners are on the award. Will changing the UA segment to F cause a re-price after Feb. 1 if UA opens up in F?

US Air has F availability with connections, I may try to get those, but that would push me to 10 segments.

Last edited by BF263533; Jan 22, 2014 at 1:12 am
Old Jan 22, 2014, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BF263533
I just called to make sure that I was wait-listed for the UA flights on this ticket and was told that because I have partners in the record that I cannot wait-list for the two UA domestic segments because partners are on the award. Will changing the UA segment to F cause a re-price after Feb. 1 if UA opens up in F?
The first point isn't true (a classic HUACA situation)

Unfortunately, the second one likely is - of course we get no official information on this, but it's the likely outcome.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Is it clear that a "time" change will trigger reprice? For carriers with multiple flights on same route.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 2:08 pm

I am elated. Just booked two r/t awards from the U.S. to DPS via Europe with a stopover in Paris for my kids, all in F ( except BKK-DPS ). Total miles 280,000. After Feb 1 that would have increased to 520,000 miles Unfortunately I still have 600k in my account. Thinking of trading for AA miles.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA, AA, DA, UA, CO
From the Q&A:
"Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies."

That is easy to understand if your whole itinerary requires one flight. But what about if it requires more segments, and one keeps the original and the final destination and the stop over places change (with no customer control over it) when you change the dates? That gets especially confusing as some of the segments may even be on a different/partner airlines due to the change of dates.
Also, how far can you push the dates? 1 year from original ticket issue or from original flight dates?
Please if anyone clarify all this. Thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by pianistat
From the Q&A:
"Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies."

That is easy to understand if your whole itinerary requires one flight. But what about if it requires more segments, and one keeps the original and the final destination and the stop over places change (with no customer control over it) when you change the dates? That gets especially confusing as some of the segments may even be on a different/partner airlines due to the change of dates.
Also, how far can you push the dates? 1 year from original ticket issue or from original flight dates?
Please if anyone clarify all this. Thanks!
It's really really really simple. If you change anything other than the date of a flight, you should assume the itinerary will reprice at the new rates. Your example involves changes to carriers and flights. You should assume that will result in a reprice.

Tickets are valid for one year from date of issuance.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's really really really simple. If you change anything other than the date of a flight, you should assume the itinerary will reprice at the new rates. Your example involves changes to carriers and flights. You should assume that will result in a reprice.

Tickets are valid for one year from date of issuance.
Actually, it isn't that simple. I have a waitlist from UA Y to UA C on a flight in June. I have had mixed experiences in the past when a waitlist clears, sometimes it retickets, sometimes it doesn't. How is UA going to handle that? Are they going to reprice my entire itinerary because a domestic waitlisted segment clears?
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by frudd38
Is it clear that a "time" change will trigger reprice? For carriers with multiple flights on same route.
It shouldn't. That is procedurally the same as a date change and just requires a ticket revalidation--not a reissuance.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, A3 Gold
How to Book at Pre-Deval Rates for 2015

I'd like to book a flight for January 2015 from FRA to IAH using United miles. Unfortunately, it seems like united.com's calendar only goes out about 11 months.

Could I book the flight for end of December 2014 now and then change the flight in a couple of weeks to a January 2015 date without having to pay the new rates?

I wouldn't mind booking it as a oneway with LifeMiles, but I'd like the whole thing to be part of larger IAH-CMN-FRA-IAH with CMN as final destination and FRA as a stopover. So one stopover would work out perfectly for me.

By the way, let's say I find availability for a FRA-YYZ-IAH return in December. Will I be able to rebook it at pre-deval rates if the FRA-IAH direct flight becomes available or would that constitute a route changing triggering an increase in prices?
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Hartmann
Actually, it isn't that simple. I have a waitlist from UA Y to UA C on a flight in June. I have had mixed experiences in the past when a waitlist clears, sometimes it retickets, sometimes it doesn't. How is UA going to handle that? Are they going to reprice my entire itinerary because a domestic waitlisted segment clears?
We don't have any answer beyond what UA Insider has stated. But you should assume it will reticket and thus reprice.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA GS
I can't wait until Feb 1 hits and we actually know what's going to be possible.

I have a complex "manually-priced" award. I wonder if I'm going to be able to convince an agent to "manually price" it using the pre-Feb 1 rates if I need to make certain types of changes (for example, going from C to F on one of the segments, which I've already "paid" for by having other F segments on the itinerary).

I know nobody knows the answer to this, I am just looking forward to knowing.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Are there any award trips that have lowered in price since the "devaluation" announced for 1 Feb 2014?
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by villox

I have a complex "manually-priced" award. I wonder if I'm going to be able to convince an agent to "manually price" it using the pre-Feb 1 rates if I need to make certain types of changes (for example, going from C to F on one of the segments, which I've already "paid" for by having other F segments on the itinerary).

Those will certainly reprice at the higher price.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by villox

What's really going to be interesting is whether agents are going to have discretion to "grandfather" itineraries at the old rates in these sorts of circumstances.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Hartmann
Those will certainly reprice at the higher price.
Sorry but you can't know that. The computer couldn't price this itinerary in the first place, so it would be up to the agent to do it, and if they decide that the current price was already figured out correctly since part of the trip is already in F (which means not changing the class of the award) it's possible you could find one who agrees to leave the price as is. Heck even the taxes would be the same if the exact flights stay the same (in this case, anyway).

I'm not saying I'm betting on it, we just don't know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.