Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's New Policy for Passenger Electronic Devices During Takeoff/Landing (6 Nov 2013)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyingnosh
As of evening of Nov 6, UA began allowing use of lightweight personal electronic devices below 10,000 feet.

Press Release

Questions:
  1. Does this apply to international flights when taking off / landing in US airspace? Yes.
  2. When will United Express flights be included? Press release implies by end of year.
  3. Can I use my laptop? UA website says no, but in practice not clear. The key issue is weight. FAA uses 3 lbs limit, Delta uses 2 lbs limit, UA has no stated limit. More to come on this one. For now, do not assume you will be able to use even very small laptops.

Note: on one recent flight, FA stated that the limit on UA is 2lbs.
Print Wikipost

UA's New Policy for Passenger Electronic Devices During Takeoff/Landing (6 Nov 2013)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm curious, they did not enforce the no electronics very well, how are they ever going to enforce the airplane mode?
Old Nov 6, 2013, 3:46 pm

Will be self-enforced

I've never powered my cell or tablet off but I have put it in airplane mode purely to save the battery. You're not really going to get reception anyway so you might as well prevent the device from trying to find a tower.

Originally Posted by Baze
I'm curious, they did not enforce the no electronics very well, how are they ever going to enforce the airplane mode?
Old Nov 6, 2013, 4:51 pm

Programs: One Pass
UA got their approval today.

Customers may now use PEDs throughout flight
We have received government approval to allow our customers to use their portable electronic devices (PEDs) during all phases of flight from gate to gate. We began offering electronics-friendly cabins on all domestic mainline flights arriving or departing within the 50 United States after receiving FAA approval this afternoon.
With this change, customers can now safely use their lightweight, handheld electronic devices – such as tablets, e-readers, games and smartphones – in non-transmitting mode from gate to gate, unless a flight attendant instructs them otherwise. Larger electronic devices, like laptops, must still be stored securely in an overhead bin or another approved stowage area during takeoff and landing.
“We know our customers want more freedom to use their portable electronics during flights,” said XXXX XXXXXX. “This is one of the many ways we can make the travel experience we offer more user-friendly.”
For our flight attendants, the new policy means ensuring that customers safely secure or properly stow their PEDs during takeoffs and landings. Flight attendants also must tell passengers when it is safe to use PEDs or if the captain has directed customers to turn them off.
We are providing our flight crews with updated onboard announcements reflecting the new policy and will soon update our onboard safety videos, the safety information in Hemispheres and the safety information cards we store in the seat backs.
We are working with our regional partners to extend the benefit to United Express flights by the end of the year. Voice calls to or from cell phones or VoIP-enabled devices are still prohibited during taxiing, takeoffs, landings and while the aircraft is in flight.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Cbmaz, where did you see this? Great news.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:10 pm

Programs: One Pass
Originally Posted by blueman2
Cbmaz, where did you see this? Great news.
Employee Daily News Bulletin. Published 15 minuted ago.

Last edited by Cbmaz; Nov 6, 2013 at 5:15 pm
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:21 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

FAA to allow electronics below 10,000 feet. Delta starts tomorrow. Where's UA?

Hi all,

It is indeed now official.

http://newsroom.unitedcontinentalholdings.com/2013-11-06-United-Airlines-Begins-Offering-Electronics-Friendly-Cabins

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
"CHICAGO, Nov. 6, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines is now offering its customers electronics-friendly cabins on all domestic mainline flights. "

Well, that's about 50% of my flights anyhow.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi all,

It is indeed now official.

http://newsroom.unitedcontinentalhol...riendly-Cabins

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Sweet! Thanks Aaron
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:25 pm

Programs: Dulles Airport Traveler's Aid Volunteer, hopefully future United IK member
Hey Mr. Goldberg,

Does that mean that they will start In-Flight Entertainment right away after the safety video?

This is awesome news and long overdue!!
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by JacobVB27
Hey Mr. Goldberg,

Does that mean that they will start In-Flight Entertainment right away after the safety video?

This is awesome news and long overdue!!
You mean after the 5 minutes of credit card/Hotel/DTV promo ads?
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:27 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by Cbmaz
Employee Daily News Bulletin. Published 15 minuted ago.
I just got it too, was just about to hit send
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Hadrian35
"CHICAGO, Nov. 6, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines is now offering its customers electronics-friendly cabins on all domestic mainline flights. "

Yep. When AA rolled it out yesterday, it was for their entire fleet including Am Eagle.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Flew six segments since the FAA announcement, the latest was this morning between IAD and LAX. FAs kept saying UA is awaiting government approval. Just like my ancient 757 that was awaiting installation of AC power at the seat instead of the DC cigaret plugs in F! Looking forward to my next AA flights!
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Hadrian35

Consider yourself lucky, mainline flights are at best 3% for me. I look forward to this change making its way to the UX flights.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
This is great news but a) funny how AA could work out eagle flights immediately too and b) that press release sure makes it sound like United is ahead of the game, doesn't it?

Edit: Ok the AMR comparison not a good one, I take that back.

Last edited by ACVBear; Nov 6, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.