Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's New Policy for Passenger Electronic Devices During Takeoff/Landing (6 Nov 2013)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyingnosh
As of evening of Nov 6, UA began allowing use of lightweight personal electronic devices below 10,000 feet.

Press Release

Questions:
  1. Does this apply to international flights when taking off / landing in US airspace? Yes.
  2. When will United Express flights be included? Press release implies by end of year.
  3. Can I use my laptop? UA website says no, but in practice not clear. The key issue is weight. FAA uses 3 lbs limit, Delta uses 2 lbs limit, UA has no stated limit. More to come on this one. For now, do not assume you will be able to use even very small laptops.

Note: on one recent flight, FA stated that the limit on UA is 2lbs.
Print Wikipost

UA's New Policy for Passenger Electronic Devices During Takeoff/Landing (6 Nov 2013)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
From the United twitter account:

"Expect exciting news soon! #Below10KFeet"
Old Nov 6, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: UA GS / 1MM, MR Ambassador / LTTE, Hertz Platinum
keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow. if not keeping my fingers crossed for sunday. If not I fly again monday, wed, oh what the heck, im on a UA flight 2 -3 times a week, just get it done soon!
Old Nov 6, 2013, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by CO777

Hmmm... I wonder how soon ... the new website is coming soon ... and that was announced a year ago.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes

They actually have another 6 of these announcements to go before the big reveal. I don't want to play it up too much, but I've heard that one lucky winner may actually get the whole can on an upcoming flight, but only if on a Y, B, or M Fare

or...
"Expect exciting news soon!, we are proud to announce that we are the last of the major carriers to have something that everyone else already has, thus rendering it not exciting news at all, and just making us look stupid for bothering to even announce it now
Old Nov 6, 2013, 11:51 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
FAA to allow electronics below 10,000 feet. Delta starts tomorrow. Where's UA?
United is still trying to figure out how to connect two tin cans to a 10,000 foot long piece of string
Old Nov 6, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B511 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite

They actually have another 6 of these announcements to go before the big reveal. I don't want to play it up too much, but I've heard that one lucky winner may actually get the whole can on an upcoming flight, but only if on a Y, B, or M Fare

or...
"Expect exciting news soon!, we are proud to announce that we are the last of the major carriers to have something that everyone else already has, thus rendering it not exciting news at all, and just making us look stupid for bothering to even announce it now
LOL
Old Nov 6, 2013, 12:12 pm

It has been a dark and cloudy week in the UA forum.

Can't wait for United's special announcement. I wonder if its the same one the other big airlines previously announced <rolls eyes>.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 12:48 pm

I'm surprised how there has been nothing on their website. I fly United twice a week so this really is a big deal for me.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, IHG Plat Elite, Hyatt Gold, Marriott GE, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
Maybe so, but I found that FAs in F to be somewhat more lenient than those in Y. Of course, it's anecdotal, but still, I saw a trend.
Very, VERY true. For some reason, they don't care what I do in F, but if I'm in Y, I even have to remove my earbuds. That's one of my pet peeves--getting asked to remove my earbuds even though they're unplugged from ANY device. Have been told it's "FAA Rules", which I smirk and let her know that's complete and utter BS.

HOPE they announce it soon!
Old Nov 6, 2013, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fastfxr
Very, VERY true. For some reason, they don't care what I do in F, but if I'm in Y, I even have to remove my earbuds. That's one of my pet peeves--getting asked to remove my earbuds even though they're unplugged from ANY device. Have been told it's "FAA Rules", which I smirk and let her know that's complete and utter BS.

HOPE they announce it soon!
They just want you to be able to hear Jeffy on the video.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Not yesterday or today

Just did a quick MR to LAS and on my outbound last night and my inbound this AM the FA's announced that UA is not participating yet. Hopefully soon. I was in a really really good part of my book and had to close my IPAD.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 1:59 pm
Original Member

You can use PED gate to gate on the Houston to Beaumont "flight".
Old Nov 6, 2013, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HGP Diamond, Avis First
Flew AA today and they allowed PED device usage gate to gate (as long as in airplane mode). Seemed like they got approval either yesterday or this morning.

Seems that UA is trailing.....
Old Nov 6, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by richk_30
Flew AA today and they allowed PED device usage gate to gate (as long as in airplane mode). Seemed like they got approval either yesterday or this morning.

Seems that UA is trailing.....
Other than cutting benefits, when has UA ever been a leader?
Old Nov 6, 2013, 3:21 pm

Pretty good article about Delta Experience....

.....looks like United Express may have the same issue.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_te...assengers.html

I hope this is the case:

"One Slate colleague asked me whether this was similar to the last days of prohibition: Even though alcohol was illegal, enforcement became lax."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.