Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's New Policy for Passenger Electronic Devices During Takeoff/Landing (6 Nov 2013)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyingnosh
As of evening of Nov 6, UA began allowing use of lightweight personal electronic devices below 10,000 feet.

Press Release

Questions:
  1. Does this apply to international flights when taking off / landing in US airspace? Yes.
  2. When will United Express flights be included? Press release implies by end of year.
  3. Can I use my laptop? UA website says no, but in practice not clear. The key issue is weight. FAA uses 3 lbs limit, Delta uses 2 lbs limit, UA has no stated limit. More to come on this one. For now, do not assume you will be able to use even very small laptops.

Note: on one recent flight, FA stated that the limit on UA is 2lbs.
Print Wikipost

UA's New Policy for Passenger Electronic Devices During Takeoff/Landing (6 Nov 2013)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I think UA was too busy chairing the HSCC (How to Screw Customers Committee), for which are are lifetime chair. That is why they are always leading the pack in treating customers like dirt.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by blueman2
I think UA was too busy chairing the HSCC (How to Screw Customers Committee), for which are are lifetime chair. That is why they are always leading the pack in treating customers like dirt.
Whahahahahhaah ROTFL
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
I've actually seen UA fa's texting and using their phone during take=off taxi, on one occasion anyhow.

Many people seem to have ignored this rule in the past.

It's kind of a joke - there are 10's of thousands of take off and landing videos on Utube. Dont' people realize that electronics have been being used for years already?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:29 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Like with most things, Delta had the presence of mind to get ahead of this, probably applied in advance and as such was the first cleared for use. The world's leading airline was asleep at the wheel, and are now just beginning to get around to being accepted. UA should have been first, but it's telling that they will be among the last. At least they are consistent
Old Nov 5, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: UA GS / 1MM, MR Ambassador / LTTE, Hertz Platinum
I was on a UA flight from JFK to SFO yesterday and they made it very clear to one passenger that electronics were not to be used.

Its not like I need to use my cell phone etc since it doesn't work anyway after a certain altitude, but I would love to keep on my noise canceling headphones from taxi to landing. Its annoying to be watching a movie and then have to switch to earbuds when taking off / landing.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K
At this point, telling passengers not to use electronics is like telling people to keep enduring bombing drills even though they know the war is over and the troops are on the way home. It just looks like a ridiculous charade.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
AA and American Eagle just got approved today, which means that the first domestic carriers to adapt to the new regulations are members of that committee. Just a coincidence?
I wonder why UA wasn't on the committee.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by blueman2
Not at all ,they are simply trying to figure out how much to charge us to use our stuff and how they can block its usage unless we pay for it.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Reading betwen the lines with UA comment about working with FAA and its Express carriers. How DL did not include its express carriers and AA is not including all Eagle planes. These lead me to believe UA is going the all or none route which is another stupid move.

Originally Posted by edcho
Who knows, either way you cannot include everyone on the committee
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by edcho
My guess is they didn't care. While the ARC (the committee) was limited to 20 members, per the Committee Charter interested parties could request to attend the meetings (they were not open to the general public but my guess is that if United, the world's largest airline, asked to send someone the ARC would have allowed it) and all the notes, agendas, minutes, work papers, etc. were available via FOIA (or, more likely, freely provided to a company like United). In addition, the Advisory Report, which was issued September 30th, seemingly provides all the information needed to prepare a submission to the FAA.

I think this has very little to do with UA (willingly or unwilling) not being involved in the ARC but rather just UA ineptitude or UA not caring to invest the time or money to get whatever needed to get done in time for a Nov 1 rollout.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
I sent UA a tweet yesterday about this. There reply was along the lines of we are working on it with the FAA and our UAX partners. I think because UA is really just a shell for a bunch of DBAs (at least domestically) these days they are trying to get all the UAX partners on board so that you don't on one flight have the rule still in place and on another not and get confused/even more angry customers. Still *smh*
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:05 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CDKing
Reading betwen the lines with UA comment about working with FAA and its Express carriers. How DL did not include its express carriers and AA is not including all Eagle planes. These lead me to believe UA is going the all or none route which is another stupid move.
I dunno; we'd get plenty of complaints and confusion from pax when there was one policy in place for mainline and another for a particular express operator and yet another for a different express carrier. To the general pax, they're all "United," so I can see the benefits of an "all or none" approach, too.

I just wish UA would have kept up with the times here and been working on that well before now...

Speaking of express partners with differing policies, Silver (on a dba UA Express flight) claimed you couldn't use cell phones until you reached the gate and even chastised a pax about it on my flight Sunday.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
Like with most things, Delta had the presence of mind to get ahead of this, probably applied in advance and as such was the first cleared for use. The world's leading airline was asleep at the wheel, and are now just beginning to get around to being accepted. UA should have been first, but it's telling that they will be among the last. At least they are consistent
UA only jumps at opportunities to screw its customers (devaluation of miles, taking away elite benefits without providing a better product that people are willing to pay for, etc). They'll never lead the way in good policies like this until Jeff is kicked out.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:38 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by STS-134
UA only jumps at opportunities to screw its customers (devaluation of miles, taking away elite benefits without providing a better product that people are willing to pay for, etc). They'll never lead the way in good policies like this until Jeff is kicked out.
It certainly does seem to be a leadership issue! Unfortunately, Jeff is keeping the board and shareholders happy with short-term profit taking and endless excuses for bad quarters (sequestration, Superstorm Sandy, government shutdown, 787, and so on and so forth).
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:03 am

I love love love love this comment!!

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
At this point, telling passengers not to use electronics is like telling people to keep enduring bombing drills even though they know the war is over and the troops are on the way home. It just looks like a ridiculous charade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.