Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
UA Insider's reply in posts 247 and 254 of this thread:
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

We recognize the importance and value to you of accessible and transparent information about United flights. It’s a meaningful part of your travel planning, and we are committed to providing useful information that is both accurate and preserves the integrity of United’s data and systems.

While we are committed to data transparency, Expert Flyer has been accessing united.com in an unauthorized fashion to retrieve UA availability. In addition, these activities have consumed significant united.com bandwidth that could otherwise be used by regular consumers. As a result, we had to take this action to protect the security and integrity of United’s systems.

Thank you for your understanding as to why we had to take this action. We continue to look at ways in which we can provide you with timely and useful information (some of which you will see in new releases of our own digital channels) as well as with partners that have authorized access to our data.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Expert mode/visibility in UA channels is unaffected by this.
Print Wikipost

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:52 pm

Well, nice to know that it is still available, but I call BS on the unauthorized stuff. UA has to have known about this forever, and if it really was all about it being 'unauthorized' access, there would be no waiting until Oct 31, they would shut the access off _immediately_.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by zrs70
While I certainly wish things were not changing, UA will hardly see a dent from reaction to this.

And let's keep life in perspective: A lump in your oatmeal is an inconvenience. A lump in your breast is a serious problem.

This is a lump in my oatmeal. So it will take extra time to find the upgrade space. I'm really not all that annoyed. And those who say they are leaving because of this are being kind of petty.
I'll rephrase... puff of smoke.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K and 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Darlox
Shutting down a useful tool over "too many queries", with nothing to replace it, should be an indication that UA is doing something wrong in leaving a popular need un-met.
This is an excellent point! I hope this is communicated to those at United who make these sorts of decisions.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card

While we are committed to data transparency, Expert Flyer has been accessing united.com in an unauthorized fashion to retrieve UA availability. In addition, these activities have consumed significant united.com bandwidth that could otherwise be used by regular consumers. As a result, we had to take this action to protect the security and integrity of United’s systems.
Wasn't this the same BS reason why AA shut out Award Wallet two years ago?
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...27142338884936

Really, it comes down to the fact that if we're using ExpertFlyer and not UA.com in order to search for R/award availability, UA loses the ability to pollute our screen with useless banners and ads for the explorer card.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Searching R, O, I, X (and their 'N' siblings) takes up more "Bandwidth" then searching F, A, Z, P, J, C, D Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, N?

That does not pass the sniff test
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM; AS; GP D; HH D
Please work with ExpertFlyer

We recognize the importance and value to you of accessible and transparent information about United flights.
As the united.com site is not able to provide this access in a usable way, please work with ExpertFlyer to allow them authorized access to the information so that they may continue to provide us with a valuable resource.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Biggles209
As the united.com site is not able to provide this access in a usable way, please work with ExpertFlyer to allow them authorized access to the information so that they may continue to provide us with a valuable resource.
I would second this. If the access was unauthorized, I would hope that this particular feature would be available in Expertflyer or in some way.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by pete4212
What is this 1995? Servers and bandwidth are the cheapest resources you have available to you. Since your consumers are using ExpertFlyer instead of going to United.com directly for searches, there was no loss of "bandwidth", the search was going to happen regardless, via EF or not. EF also never asked us for a password to login to United.com, so maybe you're confusing them with the websites that login as their users to get point/mile balances. It would be nice if you gave us a non boiler plate answer.
^

It either is 1995 at UA's web IT dept, or they have healthcare.gov contractors running the solution...
Old Oct 30, 2013, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
UA Blocking Access to R and Award Searches as of 31-Oct-2013? (per ExpertFlyer.com)

How much bandwidth will it take when we all have to call for an hour a day or a week to do manual award routing check across multiple days?
Old Oct 30, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver; Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by eagle007
Can't imagine this is REALLY about bandwidth...
I don't think I've heard "bandwidth" as an excuse from a large company in....years. Maybe Jeff's internet was slow this morning. Perhaps use some of those profits from service cutbacks and UC drink price hikes to invest in infrastructure to keep up with demand (perceived "significant" or otherwise)?

UA Insider (the various ones over time) has had rare opportunities to listen to direct feedback from a variety of customers (high-value GS, to occasional business or vacation tripper, and everyone in between) There have been also rare opportunities to earn accolades, loyalty, and points with customers. It seems UA has not taken those opportunities and have chosen to do the opposite, unfortunately.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
Aaron;

As a former spinster myself, I commend you on the try. I really hope there are no hidden changes to Expert Mode on the horizon, that will make my traveling experience a tougher and longer process than it already is.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 4:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Well, a number of people here can either

-apologise

Or

- spin off a new conspiracy theory

I've already doubled down on one of these.
Apologize for what? Until United provides us with "timely and useful information (some of which you will see in new releases of our own digital channels) as well as with partners that have authorized access to our data," this simply another customer-unfriendly take back.

And the bandwith claim? Hogwash.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by dpdapper
Seems self-defeating for United--why hide this information from (presumably) loyal MileagePlus members who are simply trying to use their (sometimes) hard-earned miles efficiently?
Obviously if visibility worked to UA's advantage they'd provide it. The "bandwidth" excuse is impossible to believe.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 4:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
EF has always said that they don't screenscrape. Curious what their reaction is.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Hi everyone,

We recognize the importance and value to you of accessible and transparent information about United flights. It’s a meaningful part of your travel planning, and we are committed to providing useful information that is both accurate and preserves the integrity of United’s data and systems.

Thank you for your understanding as to why we had to take this action. We continue to look at ways in which we can provide you with timely and useful information (some of which you will see in new releases of our own digital channels) as well as with partners that have authorized access to our data.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
So "authorize them"! Did you make them an offer to pay for access or offer an alternative method through a GDS? Did they offer to negotiate, or pay for for the data? Were you willing to entertain an offer if they did? And as far as bandwidth being an issue, what percentage of their accesses are they of all your accesses, if indeed that is their method? Have "regular customers" been complaining about slow access? And what about all the other "unauthorized" sites have on your bandwidth load? Why is EF being singled out? Sounds like a red herring. What's your real motive?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.