Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA looks at IAD-Riyadh & moves from DXB to DWC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA looks at IAD-Riyadh & moves from DXB to DWC

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2013, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
They're probably doing it so they can open a UC in an airport where nobody will complain about them serving cheap booze.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 10:04 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
This would be great news if we could actually get a tourist visa or a transit one like Saudia.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 12:33 am

Programs: UA 1K AA EXP
Originally Posted by exerda
What I'm not clear about is why UA would shift Dubai airports due to runway maintenance "reducing DXB to one runway." AFAIK, the new airport only has one operational runway for the immediate future (they plan to have 5 eventually)--is it just that they don't have as much passenger traffic?
From what I understand, when the runway maintenance starts at DXB the airport will not be able to accommodate the level of flights it currently handles. When it is done things will be back to normal.

As for as DWA, United would have to be fools to permanently move over there which they are not doing. DWA is in the middle of no where are far from most of the people in Dubai area, the hotels, and financial district of Dubai. Also has poor transportation options compared to DXB.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 12:49 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Wink

whats the problem - women are allowed to fly in Saudi Arabia

http://www.omg-facts.com/Interesting...d-To-Fly/59122
Old Oct 30, 2013, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
What I'm not clear about is why UA would shift Dubai airports due to runway maintenance "reducing DXB to one runway." AFAIK, the new airport only has one operational runway for the immediate future (they plan to have 5 eventually)--is it just that they don't have as much passenger traffic?
Actually, UA will switch to DWC. The runway will be closed for approximately 2 months. Due to planned runway maintenance. UA will have been in DWC for a few months. It just only temporarily. When the runway is reopen again. They will shift back to DXB.

Originally Posted by appenzeller
whats the problem - women are allowed to fly in Saudi Arabia

http://www.omg-facts.com/Interesting...d-To-Fly/59122
Exactly! Those women had it right to fly to Saudi Arabia. There is no needing to ban those women entry the country.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 1:40 am

Programs: EK Gold, UA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
One runway at DXB will be closed next summer, they are trying to figure out what to do about the capacity issue now. Some airlines might go over to DWC but with the A380 terminal at DXB and the connection issues that would follow it wouldn't be EK. So that leaves FlyDubai which has said it isn't moving either and the international airlines.

DWC does have only one runway now but they also only have a couple of passenger flights a week that just started this month. There is cargo flights that also use the facility but not many that I see looking out my window here in Jebel Ali.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 4:51 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by hobo13
Maybe they have to do a quick turn....
That's exactly what they do right now. The crew that ferries the flight to and from KWI just turns around and goes right back. Entirely different crews bring the flight in from IAD and take it home again.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:56 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
This would be great news if we could actually get a tourist visa or a transit one like Saudia.
I thought tourist travel was not allowed to Saudi Arabia?
Old Oct 30, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by N830MH
Actually, UA will switch to DWC. The runway will be closed for approximately 2 months. Due to planned runway maintenance. UA will have been in DWC for a few months. It just only temporarily. When the runway is reopen again. They will shift back to DXB.
Do you know when UA is switching to DWC? Is it soon? I have a couple of trips there and DWC will be a disaster.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bldr1k
Do you know when UA is switching to DWC? Is it soon? I have a couple of trips there and DWC will be a disaster.
It is not 100% confirmed that they are going to at all. If it does happen it will be a temporary move next summer while the runway repairs happen.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 9:52 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
A few months ago I was apprised of a rumor of IAD-RUH-AUH with a 777 from a notoriously unreliable source. Would be an interesting add...
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
As someone that goes at least two times a year to Saudi Arabia I welcome this news, hope they have the flight soon!
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Simply b/c I don't know, any idea what the alcohol policy on a UA flight to/from Riyadh would be? Available outside of Saudi airspace? How would the ac be restocked in Riyadh? What do the EU carriers do? All non-dry as noted in the quoted posted?

Cheers -

OT: this is funny

No Woman, No Drive

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I'm going there next week, and even if I could get Star or OW credit for Saudi, I'd still connect w/ a (non-dry) Eurpean airline over taking them nonstop
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
Turkish does Not serve alcohol and lufthansa does. Haven't been on BA yet
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:56 am

Not being permitted to drive is just one of the ways women are oppressed in Saudi Arabia. Women aren't even allowed to * work * except in tightly controlled circumstances. And of course, everything is segregated -- restaurants, schools, etc.

I am told that a Saudi woman's ID card has her * husband's * picture on it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.