Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nonsensical email reply from 1K voice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2013, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Nonsensical email reply from 1K voice

I sent 1K voice a very simple message requesting original route credit for an itinerary that was impacted by MX. I included a scan of my receipt and boarding pass. This trip was about 2 weeks ago.

The reply told me that my trip in June 2012 was already credited to my account. In addition to the totally incorrect date, they cite a totally different ticket number. There is not a single data point correct, and they obviously came no where close to addressing my actual request.

Makes me wonder exactly how these emails are evaluated and responded. Does anyone know if these are even being looked at by a real person?
Old Oct 23, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
I imagine only a real person would make such a stupid mistake. Write back and point it out clearly and I bet you'll get a response from somebody who's bothered to read your letter.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
it could also be that reply was meant to different person, addressing different request. mistakes do happen.
especially given specific dates/tickets.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Maybe. But I am addressed by name and it has my correct Mileage Plus number in the email body.

Just really bizarre.

I will reply back and see what happens. Not sure what to say except "please read my email again and actually address the request?"
Old Oct 23, 2013, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Maybe. But I am addressed by name and it has my correct Mileage Plus number in the email body.

Just really bizarre.

I will reply back and see what happens. Not sure what to say except "please read my email again and actually address the request?"
i would think being nice and saying something like: it seems that you have confused/crossed different accounts. The referenced ticket/date are not related to me at all. bla bla bla correct information.
will get you better results.

or you can do what you said.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 4:00 pm

Programs: United 1k
Originally Posted by dsauch
i would think being nice and saying something like: it seems that you have confused/crossed different accounts. The referenced ticket/date are not related to me at all. bla bla bla correct information.

I agree with your option - the rep was probably multi-tasking; copying and pasting...
Old Oct 23, 2013, 4:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

Exactly. The # of people on FT who think that snark is productive is astounding, but maybe that's why they're here complaining that they're poorly treated.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Exactly. The # of people on FT who think that snark is productive is astounding, but maybe that's why they're here complaining that they're poorly treated.
No. I don't often post but take it from a 12 yr 1K who has just sadlly status matched with AA that its more likelythe # of people posting are tired of United's customer unfriendly culture and are just looking for a forum to vent ( for better or worse.)
Old Oct 23, 2013, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes, my reply was pretty close to what you suggest.

Originally Posted by Often1
Actually, I use snark here as a way to vent. I have little patience for incompetence, or incompetent systems (don't get me started about UAs IT glitches).

Snark is not very effective when trying to get something accomplished. But thanks for the assumption that I am treated poorly.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 6:59 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Like much about United, I find 1K Voice responses very inconsistent. During the summer, I was denied entrance to the UC at SEA on an international connection. After politely querying the policy I was told in two consecutive emails that UC access was only available on the international leg of any itinerary, not the connections. This is false, and I've been in several other UCs since the summer on international connecting segments.

Last week, I was delayed 2 hours and 23 minutes for MX on UX, and was awarded 5,000 miles in customer compensation after writing in about how unpleasant it was to arrive at my destination at 1:40 a.m. Many others have gotten the response that UA won't provide anything for less than a 4 hour delay. My point is that you just never know what will happen in dealing with United any more.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Maybe UA CS thought they were in the omni thread Misunderstand this post and reply.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The fun continues.

Instead of crediting my account for my original, purchased route, 1K voice kindly informed me that my account has already been credited for the route I actually flew. Seriously?

I really can't imagine this exchange is happening with any level of qualified agent.

Have they degraded 1K voice like they did with the 1K line?

Crazy.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Maybe after your initial email, it was processed correctly, but with an incorrect response, and it's like a flight where it might take a couple days to reflect in your account online. Although, in my experience, when they say they'll credit it after the fact, it's usually pretty prompt - almost instant.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 4:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Although, in my experience, when they say they'll credit it after the fact, it's usually pretty prompt - almost instant.
In my experience, "you will receive credit" means they are putting it in someone's stack to process eventually and it may or may not get done in your lifetime. I've had to keep nagging until finally someone gets tired of me and just processes the credit (instead of putting it in someone else's queue for eventual processing). Then it happens within 24 hours.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Woo Hoo. Third time is the charm.

Third reply came from a different person. Apologized for the continued misunderstanding of my request and have arranged for the original route credit...to be posted in 24-48 hours.

I am still not convinced the first couple of replies were sent from a "real" 1K agent.

At first I was thinking it was an "intelligent" automated system. Saw key words of "credit", "US Airways", etc. and assumed how to answer.

Of course, might have been an off-shore agent (English Second Language). I can see UA trying to lower costs by farming out email communication to low paid contact centers.

However it happens, disappointing to have to HUWA (Hang up and write again) with 1K voice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.