Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Method to verify employee UA receipts for reimbursement... [OT]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2013, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Sorry for slightly off-topic post, wasn't sure where else to ask.

Is there any website run by UA where I could verify UA flight receipts (based on ticket # or confirmation # or whatever): That they have actually been used, and amounts are as charged? we're a small business, and most of my (few) employees book their own flights, and then submit the email confirmations as proof for reimbursement. We reimburse, they keep their earned FFM, but I want to make sure there's no funny business going on.

In old days we used paper tickets to check, but no longer, of course. Thoughts?
Old Oct 4, 2013, 3:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dypter97
Thoughts?
Trust your employees or fire them and get ones you do trust.

UA won't pull up old reservations by PNR after all the segments are flown so that won't really help.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 3:21 pm

Programs: United Gold
My company used this method for a while, and I have to admit that it would have been easy to change the reservation after getting the initial e-mail. My company now uses some kind of American Express travel portal.

Originally Posted by sbm12
^
Old Oct 4, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat
If you go to the United.com homepage, you can put in the confirmation # and the last name. Once the res pulls up, you can click on View Receipt.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 3:32 pm

Have them provide the conf number prior to travel, and you can save it to your account and view it after the flight.

You won't be able to pull them up unless you have it saved to your account before travel.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
You're probably one of the most informed posters on this forum and are usually 99.9% correct and helpful.

This time you are not benefiting anyone with this abject reply. The OP is simply asking how to verify that the amount he is reimbursing his employees is actually, in fact, what they paid to UAL.

Imho, there is also no need for a bunch of bobble head ^^^^^^ either!
Old Oct 4, 2013, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by LilAbner
You're probably one of the most informed posters on this forum and are usually 99.9% correct and helpful.

This time you are not benefiting anyone with this abject reply. The OP is simply asking how to verify that the amount he is reimbursing his employees is actually, in fact, what they paid to UAL.

Imho, there is also no need for a bunch of bobble head ^^^^^^ either!
Does not look like "bobble head" to me.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Does not look like "bobble head" to me.
+1 - While it's always good to do a one-off random audit here and there, if you trust your people so little that you need to resort to this, you have much greater problems than whether they're nicking you here and there.

If you really do want a system which doesn't require you to go looking things up, use a business card which you issue and which you require employees to use for airfare. If someone charges a $2,500 ticket and cashes it in for something cheaper, you will see the refund.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
So long as your employees have control over their tickets, this will be a concern. And it is a legitimate concern. Even normally honest people can get some odd notions about entitlement when it comes to corporate travel. Requiring use of a corporate travel agent is the usual means of ensuring compliance with corporate travel policies.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Often1
+1 - While it's always good to do a one-off random audit here and there, if you trust your people so little that you need to resort to this, you have much greater problems than whether they're nicking you here and there.

If you really do want a system which doesn't require you to go looking things up, use a business card which you issue and which you require employees to use for airfare. If someone charges a $2,500 ticket and cashes it in for something cheaper, you will see the refund.
What if the employee chooses a voucher?
Old Oct 4, 2013, 5:54 pm

Give em the ol' bobble head!
Old Oct 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by dypter97
Sorry for slightly off-topic post, wasn't sure where else to ask.

Is there any website run by UA where I could verify UA flight receipts (based on ticket # or confirmation # or whatever): That they have actually been used, and amounts are as charged? we're a small business, and most of my (few) employees book their own flights, and then submit the email confirmations as proof for reimbursement. We reimburse, they keep their earned FFM, but I want to make sure there's no funny business going on.

In old days we used paper tickets to check, but no longer, of course. Thoughts?
They could submit boarding passes as proof of travel or request a kiosk receipt at time of check-in to verify they went to the airport.

There is a small biz program which i think provides you travel activity for your business (perks plus) and a pre-pay option (pass plus)...no experience with that here though.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Corporate TA (even for small business) using software which produces exception reports based on any change to the PNR. This stuff is easily & cheaply caught. People who monkey around on small stuff will sc*ew you on big stuff.

You also need clear travel policies (any good corporate TA can supply examples of various versions) dealing with cheapest logical fares, reporting any form of compensation when the underlying ticket is company paid (VDB for example) and the like.

Again, implementing this stuff in-house is expensive and takes you off what you are supposed to be doing. But, it's scaelable and relatively cheap when you outsource it.

All you want to see are the exception reports.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:56 pm

Thanks. I try.

And I provided the answer which I think is most appropriate.

Especially in a small business, where you know all the employees, it is important to build that level of trust that they are going to follow the rules and get their job done to the satisfaction of management and the customer while not screwing over anyone. Write policies and build systems all you want, but in a small company that trust is - by far - the most important factor. I spent many years working for a ~50 person consulting organization. We were told to be at the client site on time and in a professional manner without screwing the budget. To a person we all did. Those who played games were talked to and then terminated. And others noticed pretty quickly.

It doesn't take much to build up that level of trust and responsibility in a small company.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:07 pm

Programs: WN
Originally Posted by prestonh
They could submit boarding passes as proof of travel or request a kiosk receipt at time of check-in to verify they went to the airport.
This is what our company does, when for whatever reason going through the travel office isn't possible. And we're very large, with giant travel spend.

My guess would be that your two primary options for validating that across airlines are to go through a corporate travel agent or require the boarding passes. The latter isn't foolproof, but takes a lot of effort to get around.

Specific to United, you could look into this: http://www.united.com/web/en-us/cont...ness/uatp.aspx I'm sure a quick call to them would tell you if that had that capability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.