Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Asked to pay $449 to upgrade AFTER shelled out a $600 co-pay AND 20,000 miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2013, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Really, United?

BKK-NRT-LAX, NRT-LAX cleared weeks ago. BKK-NRT didn't.

At check-in I am asked to pay $449 to upgrade. Thing is, if I do not pay up, I will get no refund on the $600 co-pay or the 20,000 miles.

So wait, Dear United. I paid for the upgrade per MP rules. You have seats available. You will not upgrade me unless I pay you ANOTHER $449? Or worse, you will upgrade me AFTER someone takes that offer, if I can be upgraded at all?

Selling upgrades at the gate, in front of passengers on a wait list with EARNED upgrade instruments is an offensive reward for loyalty.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 2:10 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
This doesn't sound correct....... is there more information ?
Old Sep 28, 2013, 3:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by Droneklax
At check-in I am asked to pay $449 to upgrade. Thing is, if I do not pay up, I will get no refund on the $600 co-pay or the 20,000 miles.
Why will you not get a refund? (Even if you take the buy-up, I'd expect a refund, unless you're jumping from Y->C->F.)

Yes, it's unfortunate that UA is selling cash upgrades while people are on the waitlist. This is well known, but I do not see why this requires you wind up paying (effectively) $1049 and 20k miles for a one-cabin upgrade.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 3:35 am

Programs: UA MM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz #1 Gold

I think the OP paid $600 + 20K miles to upgrade the entire trip BKK-NRT-LAX. Since NRT-LAX cleared, he doesn't get a refund regardless of wherever BKK-NRT clears. Bummer.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...BKK-NRT-LAX, NRT-LAX cleared weeks ago. BKK-NRT didn't.....
Originally Posted by 1Konsultant
I think the OP paid $600 + 20K miles to upgrade the entire trip BKK-NRT-LAX. Since NRT-LAX cleared, he doesn't get a refund regardless of wherever BKK-NRT clears. Bummer.
:-:^ This makes sense now.

OP paid $600 + 20K to upgrade NRT-LAX, BKK-NRT didn't clear. UA upgrade pricing is the same if you clear any international portion. Then, UA sells cash upgrade to all for BKK-NRT at $449. Hyperbole aside, the question is should UA upgrade waitlisted elite first or sell cash upgrade first?

Not making judgement, just trying to clarify the situation.

Last edited by TerryK; Sep 28, 2013 at 6:30 am
Old Sep 28, 2013, 4:57 am

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Definitely worthy of a tweet, a PM to UA Insider, and whatever other means of getting some action are available.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Air Houston
Definitely worthy of a tweet, a PM to UA Insider, and whatever other means of getting some action are available.
That's following current UA policy. Not saying policy cannot be changed , but I won't except UA to change upgrade policy based on a tweet or PM.

Miles and co-pay collection and refunds policy

Your miles and co-pay are due at the time when you request an upgrade, even if you are waitlisted. We will automatically refund any miles, co-pay and taxes you paid if none of your flights are upgraded. In most instances, the MileagePlus Upgrade Award will be considered used if any segment of your travel is upgraded. However, if your travel includes requested upgrades to United BusinessFirst and/or United Global First, and none of the United BusinessFirst or United Global First segments are upgraded, then your MileagePlus Upgrade Award will not be considered used, even if you are upgraded to United First or United Business on another segment. In these instances, we will fully redeposit your miles and co-pay. When applicable, these refunds will occur automatically seven to 10 days after travel.
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...e-pricing.aspx

Similar situation except that his transpacific segment didn't clear and was offered cash upgrade at airport. He bought cash upgrade and got his copay+miles back per UA policy.@:-)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...und-copay.html

Again, the real question is: should UA upgrade waitlisted elite first or sell cash upgrade first? There is no official policy but practice seems to be selling cash upgrade first.

Last edited by TerryK; Sep 28, 2013 at 6:32 am
Old Sep 28, 2013, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TerryK
That's following current UA policy. Not saying policy cannot be changed , but I won't except UA to change upgrade policy based on a tweet or PM.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...e-pricing.aspx

Similar situation except that his transpacific segment didn't clear and was offered cash upgrade at airport. He bought cash upgrade and got his copay+miles back per UA policy.@:-)
(
Wait wait wait. Does this mean that had I taken the $449 upsell, I would have gotten a refund of my $600 copay and 20K miles?

I am thinking that in my situation the transpacific portion DID clear so I would have been SOL on the NRT-BKK.

Originally Posted by 1Konsultant
That is my understanding as well.

I am peeved that they are selling upgrades when they already got my muniez and have the balls to NOT CLEAR me on the list. What gives here?

Originally Posted by Air Houston
Following Tweets sent:

Selling gate upgrades in front of customers on a waitlist with earned upgrade instruments is an offensive reward for loyalty.#Mileageplus#UA

#UnitedAirlines Ask me to pay for a gate upgrade when I have already paid for it with an upgrade instrument? #NOR1 @jeffsmisek

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 28, 2013 at 7:57 am Reason: merge
Old Sep 28, 2013, 7:27 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Silver
Following Tweets sent:

Selling gate upgrades in front of customers on a waitlist with earned upgrade instruments is an offensive reward for loyalty.#Mileageplus#UA

#UnitedAirlines Ask me to pay for a gate upgrade when I have already paid for it with an upgrade instrument? #NOR1 @jeffsmisek
FYI @jeffsmisek isn't going to get your very far...
Old Sep 28, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: None - previously UA
That is my understanding as well.

I am peeved that they are selling upgrades when they already got my muniez and have the balls to NOT CLEAR me on the list. What gives here?
There was probably R space available which triggers the UFC offers. A call in may have snagged the space.

https://twitter.com/FakeUnitedJeff/s...26626762416128
Old Sep 28, 2013, 8:00 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
There was probably R space available which triggers the UFC offers. A call in may have snagged the space.

https://twitter.com/FakeUnitedJeff/s...26626762416128
R space is the same space he needs for his miles/copay upgrade. Thus if he would have called you are right there would be a good shot at him clearing.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 8:13 am

Wait wait wait. Does this mean that had I taken the $449 upsell, I would have gotten a refund of my $600 copay and 20K miles?

I am thinking that in my situation the transpacific portion DID clear so I would have been SOL on the NRT-BKK.
This is correct, since NRT-LAX cleared there would be no refund.

I would have called UA on the spot.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
This is correct, since NRT-LAX cleared there would be no refund.
Funny... I have a similar situation tomorrow. I cleared TPA-DEN and DEN-NRT (Dreamliner!) a few days ago (ticket was booked last weekend). But NRT-BKK shows FULL on check in today. This will be the first GPU segment I've ever missed (its technically not a miss since the more important DEN-NRT segment cleared, but still). I might luck out and get a no show (and have once before) but I would say that NRT-BKK is always borderline.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Thank you.

This policy must change. This is a 6 hour flight, a third of the total mileage of my upgrade.

It is not a minor portion of what I paid for, and United is treating it as if I never paid for anything.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Thank you.

This policy must change. This is a 6 hour flight, a third of the total mileage of my upgrade.

It is not a minor portion of what I paid for.
Eh... you would have paid the same without the BKK portion. I agree that this sucks, but you actually aren't out anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.