Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Direct flights -- Why? What about Mileage Credit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by tlawrence85
'Direct' flights are not the same as non-stop flights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_flight

"A direct flight in the aviation industry is any flight between two points by an airline with no change in flight numbers, which may include a stop over at an intermediate point."
Non-Stop -- A flight between two airports with no stops / no other airport involved.

Direct flight -- a flight booked as a flight between two airports BUT will involve a scheduled connection (landing/departure) at another airport. The same plane may or may not be used for each segment of the flight. {On UA, generally does not involve the same aircraft and may use a different type of airplane}

Why done
  • So that the direct flight shows as a competitive option vs non-stops in third party online booking sites.
  • Conservation of flight numbers, due to shortage of 4-digit flight numbers, this allows for more flights without using more flight numbers

For UA, mileage credit is the same for a non-stop and a direct flight. You "lose" out of the extra flight miles.
With the change from credit being based on fare and not flight miles, there is no difference in earning method from direct flight vs non-stop
On PQFs, each segment counts as 1 PQF -- this is a change from how PQS was done
Possible resolution is to see if the direct flight can be split into the separate flight segments -- some times this is possible, other times it is not.

There can be seat assignment issues on direct flights especially if aircraft type is different.
Upgrades will not clear on direct flights in advance unless upgrade space is available on both flights. Gate upgrades will process based on the individual flights.

Related thread
Direct Flight Seat Selection Bug?

Selecting Seats/Upgrade Issues on Second Leg of "Direct" Flight Itinerary

Solution for seat assignment missing on direct flight

Upgrade Individual Flights on direct flight
Print Wikipost

Direct flights -- Why? What about Mileage Credit?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2020, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Is there a real benefit to either party (airline or customer) for doing this? As a passenger, it is very misleading. I saw the post above about search engines looking at it as a single flight and maybe it is a marketing technique (Think Ex-UA 78 ICN-EWR)

I'm not an english expert by anything means, but:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/direct

Does UA.com have a glossary of these terms anywhere?
Old Dec 31, 2020, 8:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_flight

"A direct flight in the aviation industry is any flight between two points by an airline with no change in flight numbers, which may include a stop over at an intermediate point."
Numerous air travel glossary sites have similar definitions

This is a long used, well established airline industry term

Originally Posted by phkc070408
Is there a real benefit to either party (airline or customer) for doing this? ...
Clearly for the airline as direct flights are listed similar to non-stops and before flights with connections / separate flight numbers

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 31, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Old Dec 31, 2020, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there a real benefit to either party (airline or customer) for doing this?
As described earlier -- airlines do it either to conserve flight numbers or to improve their search result rankings. Passengers get to save on Passenger Facility Charges and can sometimes get a better fare than would otherwise be available.

As a passenger, it is very misleading.
For novice travelers, I agree. I've had to help a couple of people out in the past when they didn't realize they needed to change planes. (Also: yes, you can miss your connection on a direct flight -- if UA1234 is direct and the first leg is delayed, they'll just renumber one of them as UA1234T, and both can be in the air simultaneously).

I saw the post above about search engines looking at it as a single flight and maybe it is a marketing technique (Think Ex-UA 78 ICN-EWR)
Exactly. Heck, at some airports, you'll even see the distant airport displayed with gate information. (e.g., at AUS, AA's AUS-DFW-NRT flight showed up as, "Tokyo, gate 14" or whatever).

The airline industry is hardly the only one with specialized vocabulary.

The use of a direct flight goes back to the earliest days of air travel, when direct generally did mean direct (like the Island Hopper). If you find old timetables, you'll see things like "Los Angeles, direct from Chicago, via St. Louis, Kansas City, Denver, Flagstaff, and San Bernardino." WN direct flights generally do still operate that way.

Does UA.com have a glossary of these terms anywhere?
I'm not sure why they would; I don't know if the phrase "direct flight" even appears on their site. They clearly spelled out what was happening: the flight would stop in ANC and OP would need to change planes.
SPN Lifer and writerguyfl like this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
Not nearly as common as it once was, but you will still find it from time-to-time. In fact, on UA, if the flight number is the same, it's more likely than not to be a change-of-equipment, except for certain well-known routes like the Island Hopper or the current SFO-ICN-PVG flight.

Some search engines will prioritize direct flights over connecting flights; also, the flight will be slightly cheaper, because you don't have to pay Passenger Facility Charges at ANC.
I was a UA Reservations Sales Representative (RSR) at SFORR from 1985-87. (Just a line domestic RSR, not the International Desk, Rate Desk, or Help Desk.) At that time, "direct" flights were very common indeed, although equipment changes less so. In the pre-Internet era, direct flights were also prioritzed over connections on the computer reservation systems used by travel agents — Apollo, SABRE, PARS, System One, etc. Travel agents in that era sold a vast majority of tickets.
Furthermore, because the stop at ANC is not a transfer, you do not need to account for it when looking at a fare's routing rules. ANC is not a valid transfer point for the least-expensive FAI-DEN fare, but you can still apply that lowest fare to the direct flight.

Under the older PQM system, you would not get credit for the individual flight legs -- instead, you got credit for the nonstop distance between the origin and destination. (UA ran an AUS-SFO-LAS flight that I had to be careful to avoid ). That's less of an issue in a PQF/PQP world -- UA is providing two PQFs, and, of course, distance is irrelevant. (I'm not sure how lifetime mileage would be computed in this case). If you credit to another program, I suspect it'd be logged as a single FAI-DEN flight, although I'm not sure if we have any recent examples.
Yes, back in the 1980s, a disadvantage of direct flights was that you only got the mileage (both for annual and lifetime status) as if it were a non-stop. A "favorite" was ORD-OAK-SFO.
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
One of my previous jobs was training Reservations Sales Agents at the call center of a travel wholesaler. Explaining the difference between a direct flight and a non-stop flight was always one of the most difficult things we did. Some people just have a hard time with the concept, for some reason.

We purposely avoided mentioning the fact that a direct flight can also involve a change of planes. Some of the people we trained seemed incapable of accepting the concept that a flight number is a completely meaningless designator.
At UA SFORR and other Res Centers throughout the system, we were meticulous in explaining the difference. Every RSR was skilled in explaining the difference. UA did not want surprised, confused, or upset customers.

"No, we don't have any non-stops in that market, but we do have a direct flight that makes a brief stop in XXX." Back then, a change of equipment was much less common, usually caused by IRROPS or domestic extensions of international flights.
Is there a real benefit to either party (airline or customer) for doing this?
As described earlier -- airlines do it either to conserve flight numbers or to improve their search result rankings. Passengers get to save on Passenger Facility Charges and can sometimes get a better fare than would otherwise be available.
As a passenger, it is very misleading.
For novice travelers, I agree. I've had to help a couple of people out in the past when they didn't realize they needed to change planes. (Also: yes, you can miss your connection on a direct flight -- if UA1234 is direct and the first leg is delayed, they'll just renumber one of them as UA1234T, and both can be in the air simultaneously).
When most reservations were made by travel agents or the airline, agents, RSRs, and airport / ticket office personnel were scrupulous in explaining the distinctions. Now that most reservations are booked directly by consumers, many of them do not have the same attention to detail.
I saw the post above about search engines looking at it as a single flight and maybe it is a marketing technique (Think Ex-UA 78 ICN-EWR)
Exactly. Heck, at some airports, you'll even see the distant airport displayed with gate information. (e.g., at AUS, AA's AUS-DFW-NRT flight showed up as, "Tokyo, gate 14" or whatever).
Most travelers want to get to their destination as simply as possible. A direct flight, with or without an equipment change, is a way to keep things simple and address market demand.
I'm not an english expert by anything means, but: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/direct
The airline industry is hardly the only one with specialized vocabulary.
The use of a direct flight goes back to the earliest days of air travel, when direct generally did mean direct (like the Island Hopper). If you find old timetables, you'll see things like "Los Angeles, direct from Chicago, via St. Louis, Kansas City, Denver, Flagstaff, and San Bernardino." WN direct flights generally do still operate that way.
Indeed. The terms "non-stop" and "direct" are confusing only to those who are unaware of the basics of air travel. Fortunately, threads like this help people learn.
​​​​Does UA.com have a glossary of these terms anywhere?
I'm not sure why they would; I don't know if the phrase "direct flight" even appears on their site. They clearly spelled out what was happening: the flight would stop in ANC and OP would need to change planes.
Some people do not read carefully, and can only learn by experience. Let us hope they are quick students.
jsloan, artvandalay and narvik like this.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Jan 24, 2021 at 3:10 pm
Old Dec 31, 2020, 10:33 pm

I won't create reply's because there are several comments to my post.

First, I read and considered all of your replies. Regarding the ones about Direct being an aviation term with the definition of a single flight number, I used to work for one of the major commuter railroads in the USA and completely understand this. In fact, our Rule Book had a few definitions that mean differently than a standard dictionary. However, we are told not to use internal terminology with the pax.

I took an introductory Accounting Class several years ago. One of the things we talked about was how the information need not be easily read by all, but by those who take the time to learn the subject.

So I therefor understand what you guys have said and don't dispute it. I'm just putting myself in the shoes of someone who would feel that they were intentionally mislead, especially if they paid a premium for what they thought was a nonstop.

As an aviation hobbyist, I do understand the term, and read the comment about how a noob could make this mistake. I wonder how many regular flyers who are non-geeks like us are aware of the term. I assumed it to be rather low, but if it's higher than I expected, much of my objection is overcome.

And BTW, Happy New Year All!!
Old Dec 31, 2020, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I therefor understand what you guys have said and don't dispute it. I'm just putting myself in the shoes of someone who would feel that they were intentionally mislead, especially if they paid a premium for what they thought was a nonstop.

As an aviation hobbyist, I do understand the term, and read the comment about how a noob could make this mistake. I wonder how many regular flyers who are non-geeks like us are aware of the term. I assumed it to be rather low, but if it's higher than I expected, much of my objection is overcome.
The OP used the term direct (and correctly, I might add). United didn't use any jargon at all.

If you book on United.com, I don't see how it could be much more straightforward.

Here's what I get if I search for FAI-DEN:

Collapsed view

Detailed view

And this is what I get if I search for FAI-AUS:

Compare FAI-(ANC)-DEN-AUS and FAI-ANC-ORD-AUS; both say "2 stops," although it's a little more explicit on the latter.

Incidentally, you can see the advantage to the passenger in the price of last example -- the G fare doesn't allow a transfer at ANC, so it forces an end-on-end combination of two S fares instead, and is thus much more expensive.

Happy New Year to you as well.
SPN Lifer and writerguyfl like this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 3:08 am

OK. I see it as "plane" as day now. I've never tried to book one of these and with the other provisions of a single flight (O/D Miles, no airport transfer fees, etc), I got myself down the wrong path.

The only time I was ever on a "direct flight" was sometime around 1992 and I was about 14 years old. It was a CO morning departure EWR-MCI-DEN with the same flight number. They called it a "1 Stop" flight then where a change of plane was called a "Connection." It was a through plane with the same crew as well. When we got to MCI, they asked those of us going through to remain on the plane so we could load and go ASAP.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which can lead to a simultaneous feeling of confusing and excitement for a person boarding such a flight.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TomMM
Which can lead to a simultaneous feeling of confusing and excitement for a person boarding such a flight.
Especially when you get onto the 737 and wonder how it's going to make it across the ocean.
bluedemon211 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Especially when you get onto the 737 and wonder how it's going to make it across the ocean.
Funzies!

David
Old Jan 1, 2021, 12:04 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
It might make more sense to think of a "connection" not as a change to a different airplane but a change to a different flight.

I've had connections before where I was on the same airplane on both legs. Same airplane, different flights.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 3:36 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
On mobile but re: "direct can also include change of aircraft" --- NW was horrible about this well in to the early 2000s. They'd have flights XXX-DTW-YYY under the same flight number and same aircraft type but still change A/C at DTW. I forget what city pair in particular I was looking at during one lo g connection but the inbound leg was a D95 landing at IIRC A3 and the outbound was also a D95 but departing from something like A45.

Felt sorry for anyone who booked that not realizing despite the single flight number and A/C type they had a mile hike between arrival and departure.

WN also did lots of through flights -- flight number would originate in SAN and terminate 5 stops later at BWI for example, thought as far as I know they are (virtually) all same plane
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or in my case an MD-80 that was headed to CDG from MCO!
Old Jan 1, 2021, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
And on this subject of direct, but with a plane change, this is generally pretty much only a thing in the US. Most other carriers with direct flights are actually operating both (or all) legs with the same aircraft. For example, at least pre-COVID, SQ did SFO-HKG-SIN - you need to get off in HKG and then re-board, but it is the same aircraft. AC has YYZ-YVR-SYD, again, all on the same plane.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 12:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Direct Flights and PQF

I understand that direct flights such as SFO-ICN-PVG count as 1 PQF because the stop in Seoul is a tech stop where passengers stay on the plane. But what about other flights UA considers as "direct" with aircraft changes? How many PQF are you expected to earn on these types of flights?

Look for example at SFO-LAX-LAS on 4/27. This itinerary is two separate flights with two different aircraft, but each leg happens to have the same flight number. The UA site only shows 1 PQF for this itinerary despite the two flights:

Anyone have any idea what's going on? Is this really only 1 PQF because United is selling it as a direct flight? I called the 1K desk twice and both agents didn't have an answer and asked me to call MileagePlus. I'll call first thing in the AM to see what they say.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.