Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Facilities changes to United at LAX, including a new United Club

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Facilities changes to United at LAX, including a new United Club

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2013, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
It's about time. My only wish is that the new lounge keeps the FT guestbook in the copy/FedEx room.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...minal-7-a.html
I was wishing for an easel in T6 UC - never mind. Hopefully the new Club is at least as big as the 2 current clubs combined. And it would be cool if they could integrate the T7 UC ticket counter (the one with the tulip ends) as a historical piece.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 5:56 pm

Reading the full report linked from the article...and what's written here:

http://milecards.com/7071/new-lax-un...-size-in-2015/

Looks like the club will all be on a new floor built above the current club, but taking up the entire width of the concourse rather than just one side now. Should have some nice views and larger than both of today's clubs combined.

There will also be a new security area built at the gate level; no more snaking from that ground level sideways angle.

But no real changes to the rest of the terminal. Just the club, part of ticketing, and security checkpoint.

Last edited by cerealmarketer; Sep 6, 2013 at 6:25 pm Reason: Link to source
Old Sep 6, 2013, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
About time. I really detest flying from, to, or through LAX, and I go out of my way to avoid it. I'm not crazy about IAD, either, but I think LAX is worse (maybe because I end up flying there more often, in spite of my preferences).
Old Sep 6, 2013, 7:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by exerda
It is good news, but I have to ask: when the heck is UA going to work with the MWAA to get a new midfield concourse at IAD? I know we're not the biggest hub, but our "temporary" dump of a terminal really needs to be replaced and made into a flagship for the new UA and the national capital region.
^^ The answer, of course, is that UA faces competition at LAX, and it pretty much owns IAD, so it can treat its customers there like crap.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
But no real changes to the rest of the terminal. Just the club, part of ticketing, and security checkpoint.
Hey, what do you expect for $400M?
Old Sep 6, 2013, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Definitely a good move especially if it results in a new T7 UC on par with the new club at ORD.

If I'm reading correctly though basically United is putting up $34 million and the balance (some $379 million) is being covered by LAWA?

In all, United plans to invest about $413 million in improvements, mainly in Terminal 7. Los Angeles World Airports will pay for the bulk of upgrades through cash and rental credits. United will be on the hook for roughly $34 million for what are considering “proprietary” improvements.

Good on UA for getting that kind of support especially since they can (and are) marketing it as though they (United) are making $400m in improvements when in reality UA itself is only contributing $34m to the improvements.
I suspect that UA will help pay for some of the remaining $379 million through rental payments over the next few years. Perhaps not all of it, but LAWA doesn't have a magical pot of money from which it can spend almost $400 million. And the City of Los Angeles doesn't contribute tax monies to LAWA.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I was wishing for an easel in T6 UC - never mind. Hopefully the new Club is at least as big as the 2 current clubs combined. And it would be cool if they could integrate the T7 UC ticket counter (the one with the tulip ends) as a historical piece.
+1, but knowing the "New UA", the tulip counters will be tossed in the trash.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 9:32 pm

I have it from a good source that the savings in trash bags covering urinals # 2 & #3 in the T-7 UC will cover the $400 million in about 2.3 years!
Old Sep 6, 2013, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
It would be a hundred-fold improvement if all they invested was $1,000 in exhaust fans to get rid of the McDonald's grease smell that wafts through T7
Old Sep 6, 2013, 11:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
United planning $400 million in LAX upgrades

Self-serve soda machines please. Don't feel like stiffing the bartender for his 75% ice cube sodas.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 5:38 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
I remember the renovations for the 1984 Olympics and the addition of the international arrivals and customs space.

Now, I hope that they some day decide to widen the hallways connecting T6 - T7, and T8 in order to add moving sidewalks. I can't believe that they have not done this already.

I hope that someday they decide to take a good look at reorganizing the T6 & T7 ticketing/check-in area to make it deeper, more unified, and more attractive.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Self-serve soda machines please. Don't feel like stiffing the bartender for his 75% ice cube sodas.
Why tip the bartender for providing a drink which is unsatisfactory?

Originally Posted by Karl-MDW
I remember the renovations for the 1984 Olympics and the addition of the international arrivals and customs space.

Now, I hope that they some day decide to widen the hallways connecting T6 - T7, and T8 in order to add moving sidewalks. I can't believe that they have not done this already.

I hope that someday they decide to take a good look at reorganizing the T6 & T7 ticketing/check-in area to make it deeper, more unified, and more attractive.
The other area that needs improvement is the connection between international arrivals in T6/7, and domestic connections. Currently, the arriving passengers who are connecting are dumped out in the arrivals section and have to find their own way to the departures section, with no effective signage and an escalator (unsigned) leading upstairs from which you have to double back (again, not properly signed) to reach the entrance to the security area.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 7, 2013 at 6:39 am Reason: merge
Old Sep 7, 2013, 7:37 am

Nice to hear but I wish LAX would spend some money on adding some moving sidewalks between terminals, the hike on a close connection is tough! Also I'd love to see better choices for food, LAX has about the worst selection of vendors, at least in T6 and T7!
Old Sep 7, 2013, 7:37 am

I wish I would have known about the guestbook sooner. I guess I need to spend more time on FT!
Old Sep 7, 2013, 7:51 am

Improving the connecting halls is part of the plan. And re-vamping the T7 ticketing lobby is part of it. But for some reason the T6 one is not part of the scope, maybe they will unify it all in the T7 section now that security will be removed from part of it.

Originally Posted by Karl-MDW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.