Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[RUMOR] New Beverage offerings at United Clubs (Coming September 2013)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[RUMOR] New Beverage offerings at United Clubs (Coming September 2013)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
You do? You must be seeing the last few bottles of Kahlua...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...dka-titos.html
I would be slightly less pissed off about this if the rail pour is Tito's which IMHO is better than Smirnoff, but not counting on it.

For the fee paid, the ability to get a half way decent drink as part of your membership, should not be too much to ask.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
You can go lower. Delta downgraded to Scoresby scotch. Which as the author of this points out, is comparable to 'Sherwyn Williams', or 'Glydden'

http://angelsportion.wordpress.com/2...-years-old-40/

What United is missing about the value proposition is that at Delta, all top tier elites get complimentary membership to the club. Which is a large portion of those using the clubs.

At United, members are all paid access.
That looks disgusting! Good point on the value proposition. If this indeed does downgrade our offerings I see NO value in paying for club membership - I'll drop the Presidential Plus card...
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by i_fly_to_much
I would be slightly less pissed off about this if the rail pour is Tito's which IMHO is better than Smirnoff, but not counting on it.
Tito's is already one of the premium selections in clubs I have been to recently!
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Oh dear, apparently the Canadian I find perfectly acceptable for myself tastes to this reviewer as if it was steeped from "stale lead-laced paint chips from the walls of a Chernobyl bunker".

Clearly, my palate needs developing.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:43 am

What the hell... Next thing you know UA will start letting into the club anyone who has their stupid credit card.

I wish that UA would only allow into the club:

- paying members
- international business/first passengers
- GS members

I pay for my membership to avoid the greyhound bus crowds at the DL clubs. DL has completely diluted their club and other offerings (SkyPriority), and am afraid UA is going to follow suit. I mean, they sell Priority Boarding?! I pay about $1,000 dollars for a FC ticket on a particular route, and am boarding in the same group as someone in coach who paid for priority board.

I would pay $1,000 a year if UA would keep the club exclusive and have better food and beverage offerings.

For clarification:

Well Drink - A drink made with the cheapest liquor available
Call Drink - A drink made with medium priced liquor. (Not the cheapest and not the most expensive)
Premium Drink - A drink made with an expensive liquor. Also called a top shelf drink
Examples:

Well
Seagram's 7 Whiskey, McMaster's Whiskey, Jim Beam Bourbon, Early Times Bourbon, Bacardi Light Rum, Castillo Run, Dewar's Scotch, Lauder's Scotch, Gordon's Vodka, Kamchatka Vodka, Gordon's Gin, Gilbey's Gin, Pepe Lopez Tequila

Call
Canadian Club Whiskey, Seagram's 7 Whiskey, Jack Daniel's Bourbon, Jim Beam Bourbon, Johnnie Walker Red Scotch, Dewar's Scotch, J&B Scotch Tanqueray Gin, Beefeater Gin, Absolut Vodka, Stolichnaya Vodka, Smirnoff Vodka, Skyy Vodka, Bacardi Light/Dry Rum, Bacardi Silver Rum, Captain Morgan Spiced Rum, Jose Cuervo Tequila, Cuervo Gold Tequila, Korbel Brandy, Hiram Walker Triple Sec, Martini & Rossi Sweet Dry Vermouth

Premium
Ketel One Vodka, Grey Goose Vodka, Absolut Vodka, Stolichnaya Vodka, Bombay Sapphire Gin, Tanqueray Gin, Bacardi Light Rum, Meyer's Rum, Johnnie Walker Black Scotch, Crown Royal Whiskey, Crown Royal Special Reserve, Wild Turkey Bourbon, Maker's Mark Bourbon, Knob Creek Bourbon, Chivas Regal Scotch, Macallan Scotch, 1800 Reposado Tequila, Korbel Brandy, Hiram Walker Triple Sec, Martini & Rossi Sweet Dry Vermouth
So, Jeff? What am I getting for my $500 dollar a year membership???

Last edited by DelrayChris; Aug 22, 2013 at 11:01 am
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
I am disgusted with the non-stop downgrades at UA. Wish I never made the investment years ago for my lifetime PC (now UC) membership . . .

Gordon's Gin? Gimme a break (if that's what we end up with). Beefeater was fine, but come on Jeff - do you really want people to avoid future UC memberships? What's the benefit to crowded clubs with horrible meager snacks and swill at the bar?
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:22 am

Greetings!

Angelsportion here. I just received a ping to angelsportion.com that folks were chatting about my review of Scoresby. And so, as always, I took a quick moment to investigate. While here, I discovered that my review of a vintage bottle of Canadian Club gave pause to some, as well. I took a moment to register so that I could encourage you, with whisky glass in hand, to not be offended... and also to support your valiant efforts at seeing that better booze is available to the masses.

Great discussion here. Didn't know this place existed. Am glad to be a new member!
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:31 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Thumbs down Another Confirmation of Same Rumor

Originally Posted by Red Raider LV
I hadn't heard anything of this, but I just sat down at the UC in PHX and the bartender was telling us that around September 9 the complimentary beverage selections are going to change.

It sounds like most of the current comp wells are going to now become premium and they're going to charge for them.

Current premium selections appear to be going up in price. He mentioned that Grey Goose will now cost $11.

He said we'll still have free wells, they'll just be lower quality. He was reading all of this info off of some piece of paper that he'd been given, I'm assuming from UA.
I heard the same information at two other UCs yesterday (Wed.)
Including the Grey Goose being $11, up from $6.

The first I heard of it the bartender simply volunteered the info.
At the other location I asked and the bartender confirmed the above.

United Airlines....a race to the bottom.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:32 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
I was wondering why it took so long for FTers to respond to this news. Eventhough this rumor is slightly different, this was posted Sunday in another United thread.

Review Sunday's posts in the Premium Wine thread.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Concur with the poster who wishes that they had larger glasses for sodas.
+1 -- I always ask for my seltzer to be put int a beer glass!
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Billiken
I heard the same information at two other UCs yesterday (Wed.)
Including the Grey Goose being $11, up from $6.

The first I heard of it the bartender simply volunteered the info.
At the other location I asked and the bartender confirmed the above.

United Airlines....a race to the bottom.
What a disappointment. And yet this move is totally consistent with the post-merger emphasis on profitability through "right sizing." Rather than offering an attractive lounge product that might bring in revenue from new customers, UA once again opts for cutting services to the bone

Also, I have to wonder how much they're really going to save by ditching Beefeater for rotgut in a plastic bottle. I would think, as a percentage of a given UC's operating costs, the marginal cost of the slightly more palatable booze is fairly small. So in exchange for (presumably) modest cost savings, UA alienates their customer base.

Heckuva job, Jeffie.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by i_fly_to_much

For the fee paid, the ability to get a half way decent drink as part of your membership, should not be too much to ask.
At least Tito's is free the next few weeks on select days in some of the California UCs (including LAX today from 3 - 7).

FYI a quick google search on McMaster's Whiskey (noted as a all liquor earlier and my liquor of choice typically in the form of Jack) reveals you can get a handle for 9.95. If that is really the quality UC is going to that is pathetic. That's the quality of liquor I would buy in college for a party to save money and even then it would only get partially consumed because no one in their right mind would drink that stuff, even poor college students.

I'd rather see the cost of the UC go up a bit instead of seeing the quality of the liquor (and alcohol overall) go down. At least for now the USAirways Clubs may be in the system for a bit longer, though their alcohol selection is, for the most part, even worse.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
beer

Any confirmation of whether the beer selection will be downgraded? I hope Jeff isn't execting everyone to go back to drinking Bud.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:23 pm

- People who have the Chase Club or Presidential Plus cards pay a $395 annual fee - the argument about anyone with a card getting in is a straw man

- Folks who have the Priority Pass through a credit card (as I do I through the Ameriprise Card) have a "select" memebership. UCs do not allow "select" PP member in. I can get into AS and US clubs though, which I rarely do anyway.

- I gave up my UC membership because of the crowding. I may as well in the airport drinking a better drink. If I need WiFi, like I did at IAH yesterday, I just go and sit by the wall of the club in terminal and get it.

- If this is true is is yet another stupid nickel and diming downgrade. Not #unitedprogress
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by DelrayChris
I would pay $1,000 a year if UA would keep the club exclusive and have better food and beverage offerings.
So, Jeff? What am I getting for my $500 dollar a year membership???
Jeff!! You need to read this! You need to get a second lounge for paid F/GS and $1000/year members. This is a Good Idea(tm).

Having said that, he'll probably "discount" the alcohol by only a few dollars - you are in the "exclusive" club after all, and the drinks deserve to be cheaper, not cheap nor free of course, than the riff-raff club.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 22, 2013 at 12:36 pm Reason: off-topic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.