Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[RUMOR] New Beverage offerings at United Clubs (Coming September 2013)

Old Aug 21, 2013, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy

I hadn't heard anything of this, but I just sat down at the UC in PHX and the bartender was telling us that around September 9 the complimentary beverage selections are going to change.

It sounds like most of the current comp wells are going to now become premium and they're going to charge for them.

Current premium selections appear to be going up in price. He mentioned that Grey Goose will now cost $11.

He said we'll still have free wells, they'll just be lower quality. He was reading all of this info off of some piece of paper that he'd been given, I'm assuming from UA.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 21, 2013 at 4:48 pm Reason: details missing in thread title
Old Aug 21, 2013, 3:46 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Thanks DL.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 3:46 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Lovely.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This means we should probably be booking our saver awards now, before UA follows DL on that one too.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, Avis 1st
I seriously hope this isn't the case but wouldn't surprise me if it was. They better not take away the free Shiner draft in the IAH clubs...
Old Aug 21, 2013, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I was about to get pissed, then I realized I haven't paid for a club membership since AUG2012. Thanks TK. I'm hoping by 2014, UNITED will have a club worth the price they ask, but I doubt it.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Wait but nothing that UC offers now is premium anyway. Are they going to go down to the Aristocrat level? At least Delta went from legit premium to still of decent quality and definitely premium compared to anything UC offers now. For example my drink of choice, Jack and Coke, at the SkyClub they offer Jack for free, at the UC they offer Jim Bean. So if Jim Beam is "premium" at UCs what exactly are they going to offer for free, water with brown food coloring? Is it too late to cancel my UC re-enrollment, I knew I should've just switched to Priority Pass while using LH Senator Lounge when at my home base of IAD.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Nothing DL does is apparently too low for UA not to copy

(fully expecting the nice "local beer" option to get 86'd next)
Old Aug 21, 2013, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just like change fees, you can expect anything that is changed by one carrier to be followed by the others in short order, although not necessarily in exactly the same way.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Was not going to renew this Oct anyway. The SEA UC is more crowded most times of the day than is the terminal. I'll just use my nexus to fly out of YVR, it's closer and I'll have complimentary access as *G
Old Aug 21, 2013, 4:47 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Wait but nothing that UC offers now is premium anyway. Are they going to go down to the Aristocrat level? At least Delta went from legit premium to still of decent quality and definitely premium compared to anything UC offers now. For example my drink of choice, Jack and Coke, at the SkyClub they offer Jack for free, at the UC they offer Jim Bean.
Jack is the only recognizable liquor that Delta has on offer for free. UC free offerings are as a whole much better the DL right now. Some people would say Jim Beam and Jack are comparable, though Beam is cheaper, it is far from a 'no-name' bourbon. Nobody would say that Dewar's Scotch and Scoresby are comparable, or that Scoresby is a familiar name!
Old Aug 21, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Jack is the only recognizable liquor that Delta has on offer for free. UC free offerings are as a whole much better the DL right now. Some people would say Jim Beam and Jack are comparable, though Beam is cheaper, it is far from a 'no-name' bourbon. Nobody would say that Dewar's Scotch and Scoresby are comparable, or that Scoresby is a familiar name!
I'm already looking forward to the Taaka vodka tasting events.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 5:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Wow, that's really crappy.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 5:01 pm

Programs: VAG
Can we get a "Rumour:" (or "Rumor:", if you must) in the thread title?

I'm not saying I don't want to see a one hundred page thread complaining about some rumour that some guy heard in a bar, but sometimes it doesn't hurt to wait for the actual announcement. Like last week's big argument about PMCO 777s on the SYD routes.

That said, if you've got a lounge where there's (a) no food, (b) no drinkable drinks, and (c) furniture which isn't anything to write home about, then I'm not sure why you have a lounge at all. You're basically just taking up space.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 5:43 pm

Wahooo!!! We get to see PBRs in the UC soon?

It's gonna feel like i'm back in college again! ;p

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.