Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Highest UA comp'ed status now Marriott Gold}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of 3 March 2019, UA elites are being matched to the new Marriott Bonvoy Gold level including those UA elites who had gone Marriott Plat status during the Marriott / Starwood merger process. Marriott Bonvoy Gold does not include lounge access and late checkout is 2 PM

Archive Thread RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Archive}

************************************* Information below applied to the previous arrangement with Marriott and parts are out of date ***********************************
FAQs: https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com...s.html?lang=en

Q: If I registered and was granted complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status through RewardsPlus and have re–qualified for MileagePlus Premier Gold® status or higher for the following year, will I need to also re–register my request for complimentary Gold Elite status for the following year?

A: No. Members who have already registered for and received complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status through RewardsPlus in a calendar year and who qualify for MileagePlus Premier Gold® status or higher for the following calendar year will have their previous registration with RewardsPlus automatically renewed and will receive complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status for the following calendar year.

-------------------------------

For the United elites who are new to Marriott Rewards, here are the benefits you receive as Gold. Please familiarize yourself with what you are and are not entitled to as a Marriott Gold.

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/member-benefits/gold.mi

Also, please be nice to the Marriott 'newbies' who come to this forum to figure out what UA Silver gets (or doesn't get) them.

And here is a thread with some details for the newly-minted UA Silvers:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...riences-q.html

RewardsPlus combines the best of MileagePlus and Marriott Rewards

United MileagePlus® and Marriott Rewards® are excited to announce that the exclusive travel benefits of our RewardsPlus program will continue into 2016. Once registered for RewardsPlus, MileagePlus members with Premier® Gold status or higher are eligible for Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status, and all of the benefits that come with it. This year’s status offerings will be effective through January 2017.

Go places you’ve dreamed of in 2016 and elevate your experience everywhere.

• MileagePlus Premiers who are already registered: If you qualify for Premier Gold status or higher for 2016, we’ll automatically renew your benefits in Marriott Rewards for another year, until January 2017
• If you qualify for Premier Gold status or higher for 2016 and have not yet registered, sign-up now. Registration is easy and complimentary, and you’ll enjoy a year of great benefits with an upgrade to Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status
• Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite members who are already registered: If you qualify for Platinum Elite status in Marriott Rewards for 2016, more good news – we’ll automatically renew your benefits in MileagePlus for another year, until January 2017
• All members of both programs: You’ll continue to enjoy a 20% discount every time you convert Marriott Rewards points into MileagePlus miles as well as 10% more miles when you redeem points for RewardsPlus travel packages

Continue to take your benefits above and beyond.

For United MileagePlus members with Premier Gold status or higher, Marriott Rewards will offer Gold Elite status, which includes:

• Lounge access and complimentary continental breakfast at participating JW Marriott®, Renaissance Hotels®, Marriott® Hotels and Autograph Collection® Hotels (Resorts are excluded)
• Room upgrades, based on availability and limited to Member’s personal guest room
• Complimentary in-room enhanced Internet access at more than 3,800 hotels globally
• 25% point bonus on all Marriott stays
• Priority late check-out, based on availability
• Gold Elite customized offers and awards
• One-to-one transfer of MileagePlus miles into Marriott Rewards points, a benefit United’s Premier Silver members will also receive

For Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite members, United MileagePlus will offer Premier Silver status, which includes:

• Complimentary access to Economy Plus® at check-in for you and a companion (when available)
• Complimentary Premier Upgrade confirmation as early as day of departure
• Premier Access® priority airport services, including check-in, baggage handling, security screening (where available) and boarding
• One complimentary checked bag, standard size
• 7 award miles for every dollar you spend on United flights*

Elevate your travel experience with another year of RewardsPlus. For more information about RewardsPlus and to learn how to register, visit united.com/rewardsplus or mrrewardsplus.com.

https://hub.united.com/en-us/news/loyalty-program/pages/elevate-your-experience-with-united-mileageplus-and-marriott-rewards.aspx

While not publicly stated, in 2017, Marriott Platinum Premiers were matched as United Premier Gold (Marriott Platinum Elites are matched as Premier Silver)
and United Global Services members were matched as Marriott Platinum Elites (appears this was for 2017 only and will not be offered in 2018)
Print Wikipost

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Highest UA comp'ed status now Marriott Gold}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: United GS, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by blahmeh14
I have to imagine that they did some fact checking since the statement they made in that article was unambiguous:

“Instead Marriott Platinum status will have the same night requirements that Gold status currently has, though United elite members won’t be comped that.”

I think they were also one of the few blogs that got the information about the new program ahead of time before the embargo was lifted.
Making unambiguous statements without explanation makes this a less reliable source of information, not the other way around.

Your recollection that they got something right at least once before notwithstanding, if they did fact-check, it would be much better writing to at least mention doing it or having a source, even if they can't name the source. A clear-cut statement about something that nobody else knows about is one of those "citation needed" situations. Not to be overly harsh, but either way it's pretty lousy reporting, even for a blog.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: United/Marriott/Chase
For the past 2 years my strategy has been:
- Spend 25K on United card to get PQD waiver and fly 50K cheap miles on United to achieve full United gold status.
- Match United gold status to Marriott gold and SPG gold status with this RewardsPlus program and enjoy all the lounge/breakfast benefits and some upgrades. This has worked great.

Now it seems that this will not continue, since the new Marriott Gold status in August is only a 25-night status instead of 50 nights and therefore doesn't come with lounge access or suite upgrades. So I think my new strategy is going to be:
- Fly 25K miles on United and spend $3,000 PQD to make United Silver. Enjoy the Economy+ upgrade at check-in.
- Put $45K spend on Marriott credit card to get 15+15 = 30 nights Elite credit, then actually stay 20 nights a year at Marriotts to achieve Marriott Platinum (50 nights) w/ lounge/breakfast and upgrades. Work toward lifetime Platinum.

In summary, my everyday spend is moving from Chase United card to Chase Marriott Premier card now and I won't be United Gold anymore. Still deciding whether to get Chase Sapphire Reserve for restaurant and hotel (non-Marriott) spend.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by east_west
And some would say United Silver is a sweet deal for Marriott elites, particularly those who don't spend much time in the air to accumulate status.
I've always felt this program was tilted pretty far in UA's favor. It's so much easier to reach UA Gold (50k miles) than to reach Marriott Plat (75 nights).

In any event, UA and Marriott will reach whatever deal works for them. I'm not too worried about it.

Originally Posted by BurbankTesla
- Put $45K spend on Marriott credit card to get 15+15 = 30 nights Elite credit, then actually stay 20 nights a year at Marriotts to achieve Marriott Platinum (50 nights) w/ lounge/breakfast and upgrades. Work toward lifetime Platinum.
All reports are that credit card stay credits will be capped at 15 total under the new program so you may need to rethink this strategy.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: United/Marriott/Chase
Originally Posted by Kacee
All reports are that credit card stay credits will be capped at 15 total under the new program so you may need to rethink this strategy.
You are correct that the Chase Marriott Premier and Chase Marriott Premier Business do not stack anymore starting in 2019 (15+15=30 nights). However I was referring to putting $45K spend on a single Chase Marriott Premier card.
15 nights credit for having the Chase Marriott Premier card.
15 nights credit for spending $45K on the same Chase Marriott Premier card (You get 1 elite credit night for each $3K spent on the card, there is no limit to how many of these nights you accumulate)
20 nights actually stayed at Marriott
---
50 nights total = Marriott Platinum Elite status in new program starting August 1st.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BurbankTesla
15 nights credit for spending $45K on the same Chase Marriott Premier card (You get 1 elite credit night for each $3K spent on the card, there is no limit to how many of these nights you accumulate)
If that feature survives after August 1 I will be pleasantly surprised.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:35 am

I've always felt this program was tilted pretty far in UA's favor. It's so much easier to reach UA Gold (50k miles) than to reach Marriott Plat (75 nights).

In any event, UA and Marriott will reach whatever deal works for them. I'm not too worried about it.
I have to believe that Marriott and United reached an arrangement that was mutually beneficial. The Marriott execs negotiating with UA aren't stupid. Otherwise this reciprocal program would not have lasted 5 years -- either Marriott or United would have backed out by now.

The old Marriott Gold is 50 nights and the new Marriott Plat will be 50 nights under the new system. For those traveling multiple TPACs a year, 50K PQM and 6K PQD is no big deal. For a lot of US domestic business travelers, 50K miles for UA Gold is not easily obtainable, but Marriott's Plat status is just 4 nights a month.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed. It's conspicuously absent from the new Premier credit card benefits.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: SPG, Marriott, UA, AA, CX, SQ
This is purely my wild armchair-CEO shot-in-the-dark guess, but I see the RewardsPlus status matcha eventually morphing into a more tiered approach :

UA Gold -> new August Marriott Gold (25nt tier)

UA Plat + 1K -> new August Marriott Plat (50nt tier)

UA GS -> new August Marriott plat premier (75nt tier)

And depending on how colored your glasses are, UA+MAR either has a very aligned brand value messaging or doing their best to sow consumer confusion.

Case in point ? UA has a Premier Platinum and now Marriott will have a Platinum Premier elite. (It’d be more confusing if UA retained the “elite” name in statuses from the OnePass days ... like their current premier hotline still spells 1-866-ELITE-CO)

Disclosure : I have an indirect financial relationship with a UA competitor
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by williambruno1975

For most partner promotions (Hertz, etc.), UA has typically lumped Plat, 1K, and GS together.

Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by williambruno1975
This is purely my wild armchair-CEO shot-in-the-dark guess, but I see the RewardsPlus status matcha eventually morphing into a more tiered approach :

And depending on how colored your glasses are, UA+MAR either has a very aligned brand value messaging or doing their best to sow consumer confusion.

Case in point ? UA has a Premier Platinum and now Marriott will have a Platinum Premier elite. (It’d be more confusing if UA retained the “elite” name in statuses from the OnePass days ... like their current premier hotline still spells 1-866-ELITE-CO)

Disclosure : I have an indirect financial relationship with a UA competitor
That's...mildly satisfying for some reason...
Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
It will not. The 15 night credit replaces it.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
It will not. The 15 night credit replaces it.
Well presently it's 15 nights plus 1 night per $3k. But I get the sense that Marriott has decided to cap credit card nights at 15 (likely as a consequence of reducing Plat from 75 nights to 50), so ultimately agree that this feature is not likely to survive.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Well presently it's 15 nights plus 1 night per $3k. But I get the sense that Marriott has decided to cap credit card nights at 15 (likely as a consequence of reducing Plat from 75 nights to 50), so ultimately agree that this feature is not likely to survive.
Already stated by Marriott that it won't survive.
15 night max credit, no matter how many cards you have. Can only get Platinum from spending $75K on Ritz or SPG Luxury.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A question about current, match-granted Gold status turning into Platinum was answered in the affirmative:
Marriott Rewards Associate's Response To My Status Match Gold To Platinum Question

Not certain that it extends to RewardsPlus Gold for current year, but it seems that it would.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Now that 2018 is settled, only question remains, what will the status be for 2019.

Will UA elites get Marriott Plat (current benefits) or would UA elites get downgraded to Gold (zero benefits, ie.current SPG Gold)

I will cancel any stays in 2019 if the status is downgraded, and I suspect many will do same if we are downgraded to useless current SPG gold "benefits"

There are plenty of independent 4*/5* hotels that are much nicer than Marriotts/SPGs around the world.

Last edited by rankourabu; Apr 20, 2018 at 8:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.