Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Highest UA comp'ed status now Marriott Gold}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of 3 March 2019, UA elites are being matched to the new Marriott Bonvoy Gold level including those UA elites who had gone Marriott Plat status during the Marriott / Starwood merger process. Marriott Bonvoy Gold does not include lounge access and late checkout is 2 PM

Archive Thread RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Archive}

************************************* Information below applied to the previous arrangement with Marriott and parts are out of date ***********************************
FAQs: https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com...s.html?lang=en

Q: If I registered and was granted complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status through RewardsPlus and have re–qualified for MileagePlus Premier Gold® status or higher for the following year, will I need to also re–register my request for complimentary Gold Elite status for the following year?

A: No. Members who have already registered for and received complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status through RewardsPlus in a calendar year and who qualify for MileagePlus Premier Gold® status or higher for the following calendar year will have their previous registration with RewardsPlus automatically renewed and will receive complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status for the following calendar year.

-------------------------------

For the United elites who are new to Marriott Rewards, here are the benefits you receive as Gold. Please familiarize yourself with what you are and are not entitled to as a Marriott Gold.

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/member-benefits/gold.mi

Also, please be nice to the Marriott 'newbies' who come to this forum to figure out what UA Silver gets (or doesn't get) them.

And here is a thread with some details for the newly-minted UA Silvers:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...riences-q.html

RewardsPlus combines the best of MileagePlus and Marriott Rewards

United MileagePlus® and Marriott Rewards® are excited to announce that the exclusive travel benefits of our RewardsPlus program will continue into 2016. Once registered for RewardsPlus, MileagePlus members with Premier® Gold status or higher are eligible for Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status, and all of the benefits that come with it. This year’s status offerings will be effective through January 2017.

Go places you’ve dreamed of in 2016 and elevate your experience everywhere.

• MileagePlus Premiers who are already registered: If you qualify for Premier Gold status or higher for 2016, we’ll automatically renew your benefits in Marriott Rewards for another year, until January 2017
• If you qualify for Premier Gold status or higher for 2016 and have not yet registered, sign-up now. Registration is easy and complimentary, and you’ll enjoy a year of great benefits with an upgrade to Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status
• Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite members who are already registered: If you qualify for Platinum Elite status in Marriott Rewards for 2016, more good news – we’ll automatically renew your benefits in MileagePlus for another year, until January 2017
• All members of both programs: You’ll continue to enjoy a 20% discount every time you convert Marriott Rewards points into MileagePlus miles as well as 10% more miles when you redeem points for RewardsPlus travel packages

Continue to take your benefits above and beyond.

For United MileagePlus members with Premier Gold status or higher, Marriott Rewards will offer Gold Elite status, which includes:

• Lounge access and complimentary continental breakfast at participating JW Marriott®, Renaissance Hotels®, Marriott® Hotels and Autograph Collection® Hotels (Resorts are excluded)
• Room upgrades, based on availability and limited to Member’s personal guest room
• Complimentary in-room enhanced Internet access at more than 3,800 hotels globally
• 25% point bonus on all Marriott stays
• Priority late check-out, based on availability
• Gold Elite customized offers and awards
• One-to-one transfer of MileagePlus miles into Marriott Rewards points, a benefit United’s Premier Silver members will also receive

For Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite members, United MileagePlus will offer Premier Silver status, which includes:

• Complimentary access to Economy Plus® at check-in for you and a companion (when available)
• Complimentary Premier Upgrade confirmation as early as day of departure
• Premier Access® priority airport services, including check-in, baggage handling, security screening (where available) and boarding
• One complimentary checked bag, standard size
• 7 award miles for every dollar you spend on United flights*

Elevate your travel experience with another year of RewardsPlus. For more information about RewardsPlus and to learn how to register, visit united.com/rewardsplus or mrrewardsplus.com.

https://hub.united.com/en-us/news/loyalty-program/pages/elevate-your-experience-with-united-mileageplus-and-marriott-rewards.aspx

While not publicly stated, in 2017, Marriott Platinum Premiers were matched as United Premier Gold (Marriott Platinum Elites are matched as Premier Silver)
and United Global Services members were matched as Marriott Platinum Elites (appears this was for 2017 only and will not be offered in 2018)
Print Wikipost

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Highest UA comp'ed status now Marriott Gold}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
UA GS here. Just got an email from Marriott telling me I now have Silver status! When the program linkage began I started at Platinum, then quietly slipped to Gold last year, now this. Ah well. When I was Platinum, I got breakfast AND a special gift at check-in (in one case, an ice cream bar). No more special gift for me!
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by AlreadyThere
UA GS here. Just got an email from Marriott telling me I now have Silver status! When the program linkage began I started at Platinum, then quietly slipped to Gold last year, now this. Ah well. When I was Platinum, I got breakfast AND a special gift at check-in (in one case, an ice cream bar). No more special gift for me!
Someone's doing something wrong. Even Gold, Platinum, and 1K get Marriott Gold. Have you 're-submitted' through RewardsPlus your GS status? Or are you just falling status levels at Marriott due to not hitting the stay/night requirement and not informing anyone that you're GS?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:46 am

Personally I don't understand why awarding UA Silver is such a big deal. Sure they get free E+ seating but only during OLCI so that doesn't impact the real loyalists who can choose it at booking. Even if you legitimately earned Silver there's a way around this OLCI the moment the window opens up, beating out most other silver kettles!

If you want to talk about fairness in E+ seating I'd argue that Platinums and above who can award E+ seating to 8 other pax travelling with them on a flight. That's likely the main culprit why good E+ seating is getting harder to come by.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Someone's doing something wrong. Even Gold, Platinum, and 1K get Marriott Gold. Have you 're-submitted' through RewardsPlus your GS status? Or are you just falling status levels at Marriott due to not hitting the stay/night requirement and not informing anyone that you're GS?
Obviously Marriott knew that I was GS since at the outset I was made Platinum despite not being even close to meeting the stay requirement. At the time I merged my account with SPG, I had dropped to Gold. Do I have to keep resubmitting my status? That doesn't make sense, since they must have the means to check FF status automatically to see if someone has dropped below status-matching minimums (and obviously won't tell them).
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Obviously Marriott knew that I was GS since at the outset I was made Platinum despite not being even close to meeting the stay requirement. At the time I merged my account with SPG, I had dropped to Gold. Do I have to keep resubmitting my status? That doesn't make sense, since they must have the means to check FF status automatically to see if someone has dropped below status-matching minimums (and obviously won't tell them).
I'd reach out to them. I am a mere UA Gold and still Marriott Gold. Something went wrong for your account.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
FWIW, I am a long-time CO OnePass elite flyer (most always Silver, sometimes Gold), who retained my Silver Premier on United, even though almost 100% of my travel is for leisure now.

Two years ago, my personal reasons for several RTs (LAX-MCO) each year came to an end.

With the RP program, I am able to keep my Silver status because i still have Marriott Platinum to fall back on.

May not mean much to most here, but it has helped me with some international travel situations (e.g., making same day changes to itinerary w/o penalty), and I also like the E+ at OLCI

Also, I did get an upgrade LAX-ORD (!) for a red eye

so, it (being able to get Silver) DOES matter, and this program helps me get there!
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:48 pm

You have to keep resubmitting your status on a yearly basis. The Rewardsplus is on a year by year basis/renewal (marriott program renewal timeline)
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
You have to keep resubmitting your status on a yearly basis. The Rewardsplus is on a year by year basis/renewal (marriott program renewal timeline)
i never did. It automatically renewed every year for me.

Last year though, flying dropped and I’m just a UA silver this year. Was surprised to see my Marriott status this year was silver - asked in the Marriott forum and apparently it is the norm to get a soft landing at Marriott (though for what it’s worth, I don’t see much value in Marriott silver, but that’s a discussion for a different thread).

Me thinks if a GS was dropped to Marriott silver, there is definitely something wrong. I’d probably just re-link via the web page, or just call.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mine has automatically renewed each year.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:18 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by a9504477
Frequentmiler claims that in future UA elites will only get the new devalued Marriott Gold:
https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...before-august/

Is there actually any information/confirmation on this yet?
The original e-mail I got from Marriott suggested I would become Platinum in August, albeit with the benefits basically being the same as current Gold.

Subsequent e-mails have not been as clear, and the Marriott forum here seems to think the UA match will be only to their new (devalued) Gold.

If that happens, I'll ask my employer to get me a match from my HIlton Diamond status, as the new Marriott Gold is worthless (no exec lounge access is the killer).
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA 1 Million/Gold, AA EXP 3mm, Hilton/Marriott/Starwood Gold
I have Marriott Gold matched from my lifetime UA Gold and just a few minutes ago got an email saying "Gold Elite Status will evolve to Platinum Elite status with new benefits and a 50% earning bonus (instead of 25%).

I would assume that they wouldn't have sent this to status matches if they didn't intend it for us. But I'm assuming this will only be for 2018; they haven't announced anything for 2019 at this point and I'm assuming it will be Gold = Gold, not Gold = Platinum. Hope I'm wrong.
Xyzzy and riphamilton like this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Originally Posted by hotelexec
I have Marriott Gold matched from my lifetime UA Gold and just a few minutes ago got an email saying "Gold Elite Status will evolve to Platinum Elite status with new benefits and a 50% earning bonus (instead of 25%).
From whom, United or Marriott? Could you copy/paste the content please?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:05 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tomwhom
From whom, United or Marriott? Could you copy/paste the content please?
I got an e-mail to that effect from Marriott.

However, if you read the fine print, it isn't so clear, and indeed, suggests that UA RewardsPlus-granted status will not simply be bumped up:

Originally Posted by Marriott
EXPLORE ELITE STATUS.Right now you have Gold Elite status. Take a look below to see how our status levels evolve in the new program—and how you could reach an even higher level in August.*REWARDS ELITE STATUS TODAY
ELITE STATUS IN AUGUST
Silver Elite with 10-24 nightsSilver Elite
Silver Elite with 25-49 nightsGold Elite
Gold ElitePlatinum Elite
Platinum ElitePlatinum Premier Elite
Platinum Elite with 100+ nights and $20K in annual qualifying spendPlatinum Premier Elite with ambassador*Elite tier will be based on the status earned, not status granted via linking and status matching.
Notice that last line: "Elite tier will be based on the status earned, not status granted via linking and status matching."
Seems somewhat clear to me that a Marriott Gold matched from UA Gold/Plat/1K will only be Marriot Devalued Gold come August.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:06 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
Originally Posted by exerda
Seems somewhat clear to me that a Marriott Gold matched from UA Gold/Plat/1K will only be Marriot Devalued Gold come August.
Why? This is referring to the SPG Gold->Marriott Gold match.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by a9504477
Why? This is referring to the SPG Gold->Marriott Gold match.
I think exerda's extrapolating that "status linking" also refers to UA -> Marriott.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.