Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any plans to rebuild the UA concourse (C and D gates & UX terminal) at IAD / Dulles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any plans to rebuild the UA concourse (C and D gates & UX terminal) at IAD / Dulles?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2013, 8:55 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Kurt
IAD-SEA-IAD was served off and on by a 3-class 763, usually in the summertime. The IAD-SEA 763 was a late-afternoon departure, the return a morning flight. I recall it was UA917 FRA-IAD-SEA and UA916 SEA-IAD-FRA (with the IAD-FRA-IAD segments flown by a 777).
Some summers the flight was offered, some not, and usually only for a few months. Sure was nice to take it when it existed (and then the fun ride on the EMB-120 to PDX), but it was usually an unexpected treat at best...
Old Jul 16, 2013, 9:47 am
Used to be 'IAD22066'
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K AA
Originally Posted by drewguy
Perhaps they'll move the 757s to DCA for flights to countries with preclearance, such as Ireland.
Ireland would be nice. But that won't happen until all Nancy Pelosi and the rest of Congress are given direct flights to their home Districts. (Nancy probably uses direct flights via private jet.) It was a big deal when Senator McCain managed to get a direct DCA->PHX flight. DCA->SFO would be really nice.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:01 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by IAD22066
Ireland would be nice. But that won't happen until all Nancy Pelosi and the rest of Congress are given direct flights to their home Districts. (Nancy probably uses direct flights via private jet.) It was a big deal when Senator McCain managed to get a direct DCA->PHX flight. DCA->SFO would be really nice.
That flight exists right now, today. You can book an 8:00 am departure from DCA to SFO on United for tomorrow if you like.

Anyway, the Nancy Pelosi/private jet thing is mostly not true: http://www.snopes.com/politics/pelosi/jet.asp

(The speaker of the house gets a private jet, as ordered by GWB. Nancy Pelosi has long since not been the SotH).
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EWR756
I think the IAD terminal is arguably the worst major hub operation amongst all of the legacy carriers. It's simply awful.
which one you love?lhr, cdg, jfk, ord, fra, mow,even muc and dfw are turning into a monster. big airports are a big pain, and big hubs do not work to creature comfort.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
What's the decline in DCA? It remains busy, with more destinations, and the new terminal is relatively nice.

Perhaps they'll move the 757s to DCA for flights to countries with preclearance, such as Ireland.
I think this is wishful thinking. The only countries that currently have preclearance are Canada, Ireland, and a few Caribbean islands.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by andrewwm
That flight exists right now, today. You can book an 8:00 am departure from DCA to SFO on United for tomorrow if you like.
Or on VX, evening flight leaves at 5:05PM daily.

With VX and AS getting slots outside the perimeter most major West Coast cities have at least one direct DCA flight (SAN, LAX, SFO, PDX, SEA). This may be directly due to Congressional lobbying, but I won't complain when it saves those of us in the District a trip out to Dulles!
Old Jul 16, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
Loudoun and Fairfax counties have the first and second highest median household income in the US, and approximately 1.5 million people (1.11 FFX, 0.34 Loudoun = 1.45MM). In addition, they have a number of major employers in government and government-related industries with a Fly American mandate and a need for international travel.

Is DCA a threat? Yes and no -- true international routes seem wildly unlikely due to size, security, and positioning. EWR is already pushing its maximum throughput, hence major delays every time it rains. It's clear expansion needs to come somewhere else, and for United, that place is likely to be IAD.

Traffic figures from 2012 don't show a meaningful decline. A few random routes here and there aren't really indicative. Given a global reduction in United's capacity, IAD has held up quite well. I don't think there's a story about United pulling out of IAD here.

But, for the love of god, somebody needs to fix concourses C and D. Going through B and the part of A which isn't the RJs is quite nice -- great lounges, good shopping, the only Chipotle in an airport I know about... but there's no United. Virgin, JetBlue, Delta, and American have an experience head and shoulders above United.

Something needs to be fixed.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAD22066
Can someone tell AA that they need to also have a direct IAD->SFO flight? (Is Virgin America an option?) That would give United a kick in the pants.
I have previously speculated that Parker would be foolish if he ignored the growth potential at IAD once he takes over AA.

At DCA, US has a huge market share, and AA's share is in itself pretty large. Unless you hold one of the scarce beyond-perimeter slots, the only way to get your customers between Washington DC (DCA or IAD) and the west coast is from IAD, and IAD-SFO isn't all that off-the-wall for new AA.

Originally Posted by entropy
they'd need more than 1, if you're trying to compete for business travel you would need 3 at a bare minimum. Its very hard to compete in a hub-hub situation, just ask VX how EWR-SFO is going...and I would argue they're more substantially differentiated than AA is.
AA has long flown multiple daily flights between IAD and LAX, although the frequencies have declined (as have the size of the planes) as UA's costs came down and it cemented its hold on IAD. Pre-September 11, AA ran several daily 3-class 767s between IAD and LAX.

Now that new AA will have substantially lower costs than UA (even after Parker's promised raises to everyone), Parker should look at the growth opportunities for a few new long-hauls from IAD. If US has a large loyal following in the DC metro area, and new AA is able to hang onto many of them (or intends to), then some well-timed-for-business transcons from IAD to SEA, SFO and SAN look like naturals. I could easily see three daily 738s between IAD and each of them.

AA spent 2012 chipping away at UA, and some growth at both SFO and IAD would continue that momentum.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:49 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I have previously speculated that Parker would be foolish if he ignored the growth potential at IAD once he takes over AA.

At DCA, US has a huge market share, and AA's share is in itself pretty large. Unless you hold one of the scarce beyond-perimeter slots, the only way to get your customers between Washington DC (DCA or IAD) and the west coast is from IAD, and IAD-SFO isn't all that off-the-wall for new AA.
Might happen, might not happen. However, I am pretty sure US and soon to be "+ AA's share" at DCA will be a topic of controversy in the merger discussion with the government. I wouldn't be surprised if they will be required to hand over some in-perimeter slots.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Might happen, might not happen. However, I am pretty sure US and soon to be "+ AA's share" at DCA will be a topic of controversy in the merger discussion with the government. I wouldn't be surprised if they will be required to hand over some in-perimeter slots.
Indeed, the remedy is likely to be that "+AA's share" becomes someone else's share.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
UA's terminals at IAD are the worst arm pit of an experience as I have had at any location with United. Nothing comes close to being as bad as IAD.

However, IAD does have one HUGE thing going for it. LH Lounge. That is why I continue to look for an excuse to transfer there!!!!
Old Jul 16, 2013, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Any plans to rebuild at IAD (Dulles)?

What are Lufthansa's plans for IAD? UA could try to consolidate all *A in a new C/D terminal.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Indeed, the remedy is likely to be that "+AA's share" becomes someone else's share.
I think it's apparent/obvious/foregone conclusion that new AA will have to divest some DCA slots, but that has very little to do with the loyalty of long-term customers in the WAS metro area. As Parker has said, divested DCA slots will mean that small towns will lose their three-times-a-day CRJs, it won't cause reductions to the hubs or big focus cities. Handing over some slots to WN or B6 or NK won't necessarily cause long-term loyal customers to flee to WN or B6 or NK.

As I posted above, AA spent 2012 taking business away from UA. If that trend continues, new AA might see the benefits of expansion at IAD/SFO/etc.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 5:08 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by sannmann
What are Lufthansa's plans for IAD? UA could try to consolidate all *A in a new C/D terminal.
I hope not. I don't want to lose the Senator lounge for sharing some junky United lounge facilities where you need a chit just to get a drink, and the only food is a packet of peanuts.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
I hope not. I don't want to lose the Senator lounge for sharing some junky United lounge facilities where you need a chit just to get a drink, and the only food is a packet of peanuts.
Ha, I hear you, although the chits are gone thanks to the Continental influence. All drinks free, if you're willing to drink that kind of stuff.

Senator lounge food is nothing worth visiting in my view - not worth the calories - but it is better than the salty snacks from the United Club.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.