Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any plans to rebuild the UA concourse (C and D gates & UX terminal) at IAD / Dulles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any plans to rebuild the UA concourse (C and D gates & UX terminal) at IAD / Dulles?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2023, 4:01 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
https://aeroxplorer.com/articles/exc...ton-dulles.php

The day has finally arrived for many Washingtonians. Documents seen by AeroXplorer show that architectural and design work will begin on two new concourses that are set to replace Concourse C/D at Washington’s Dulles International Airport (IAD): Tier-II West and Tier III-East. United Airlines is the sole tenant at Concourse C/D. Both of these projects are slated for RFPs in the second half of 2023. It is unknown when construction will commence.
SPN Lifer, LETTERBOY and am1108 like this.
Old May 26, 2023, 4:24 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RJNYC

The day has finally arrived for many Washingtonians. Documents seen by AeroXplorer show that architectural and design work will begin on two new concourses that are set to replace Concourse C/D at Washington’s Dulles International Airport (IAD): Tier-II West and Tier III-East. United Airlines is the sole tenant at Concourse C/D. Both of these projects are slated for RFPs in the second half of 2023. It is unknown when construction will commence.
RFP for design or RFP for construction? Because if it's an RFP for design I say construction starts 2027 at the absolute earliest, probably complete ~2031-32
Say Vandelay likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 6:09 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by LarryJ
IAD capacity can be expanded by adding additional banks. There is plenty of down time in between banks, during which additional banks could be scheduled to increase the utilization of the current facilities.
Mr. Kirby must be reading your posts. Kirby Interview - IAD From Four Banks to Seven
Old May 26, 2023, 7:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by RJNYC

There's something slightly sketchy about this report . . . Tier II west makes sense (that's presumably D gate replacements) but no mention of the remainder of Teir II east (currently plans for Tier II east are just the new 14 gates to "replace" some A gates) but that is not a full C replacement.

And while someone could always design Tier III (hypothetical E concourse as part of an E/F concourse) that seems so far off in the future as to be hard to imagine why they'd spend time designing it now.
Old May 26, 2023, 7:13 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
The most intriguing thing to me about this is this wall:

That’s not the look of a finished section. Combined with the swoop, I suspect they may be looking to put in an MCO style terminal:

That flat wall is probably the docking area for the beloved moon buggies to take people to the IAB!
lincolnjkc and am1108 like this.
Old May 26, 2023, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
RFP for design or RFP for construction? Because if it's an RFP for design I say construction starts 2027 at the absolute earliest, probably complete ~2031-32
You're such an ptimist. I'd add on a few years.
SPN Lifer, lincolnjkc and DCAhome like this.
Old May 26, 2023, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
A few years at least. This is the MWAA we’re talking about - they are masters of taking forever and going well over budget with their projects.
am1108 likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by halls120
A few years at least. This is the MWAA we’re talking about - they are masters of taking forever and going well over budget with their projects.
Ok, if we add the MWAA factor goose up my estimates by at least 2 years on the design and 3 years on the construction... My original guess was based on a reasonably competently managed large-ish (~$200m) public sector construction project executed with reasonable efficiency in the general proximity that I am intimately familiar with.
Old May 26, 2023, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Ok, if we add the MWAA factor goose up my estimates by at least 2 years on the design and 3 years on the construction... My original guess was based on a reasonably competently managed large-ish (~$200m) public sector construction project executed with reasonable efficiency in the general proximity that I am intimately familiar with.
Another example to consider is how long it has taken WMATA to extend and complete the Silver Line Extension to Ashburn and IAD as well as how much it has ended up costing. Decades and billions later, WMATA still hasn't figured out how it will cover the overrun.

David
mander and LETTERBOY like this.
Old May 26, 2023, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by DELee
Another example to consider is how long it has taken WMATA to extend and complete the Silver Line Extension to Ashburn and IAD as well as how much it has ended up costing. Decades and billions later, WMATA still hasn't figured out how it will cover the overrun.

David
To be fair probably 3 years of that delay at a minimum were bickering between WMATA, another agency with legendary efficiency, and MWAA. Hopefully MWAA doesn't have that problem when working with themselves -- but I wouldn't put it pas them...
SPN Lifer, mander and am1108 like this.
Old May 26, 2023, 11:27 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by halls120
perhaps, but any one that has enjoyed the overhauled DCA and centralized mid-level security checkpoint will appreciate their attention to the detail, and all the extra space now at DCA!
it’s incredible
Old May 26, 2023, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
perhaps, but any one that has enjoyed the overhauled DCA and centralized mid-level security checkpoint will appreciate their attention to the detail, and all the extra space now at DCA!
it’s incredible
Now if the people at the CLEAR/PRE security checkpoint could just get their act together ...
Old May 26, 2023, 11:45 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I'd add on a few decades, not just years.
Old May 26, 2023, 2:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
While MWAA is an agency that locals and travellers love to beat up on, but let's focus on the UA issues at IAD in this forum. Of course UA will need to work with IAD/MWAA and that may create barriers, generic discussion about what is bad about MWAA and other local area entities seems best to discuss in Mid-Atlantic forum
and
The Future of Dulles Airport [and Metro line]

or even OMNI/PR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.