Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Award travel question -- 22.5 K saver to Hawaii changes to 25K?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2023, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA,UA,DL,HA

Am trying to book a r/t economy award ticket from PBI to HNL for last quarter 2023. When i go to calendar view it shows lowest miles needed
at 22.5k each way but when i go to look for such a flight on the day listed none exist! Am i doing something wrong ? Need to call UA? or is there some other
strategy anyone could suggest? Am looking to get a r/t for 45k miles if possible. Not concerned about number of connections or duration of
trip really... thanks for any replies.
Old May 15, 2023, 10:44 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by silvermine
Am trying to book a r/t economy award ticket from PBI to HNL for last quarter 2023. When i go to calendar view it shows lowest miles needed
at 22.5k each way but when i go to look for such a flight on the day listed none exist! Am i doing something wrong ? Need to call UA? or is there some other
strategy anyone could suggest? Am looking to get a r/t for 45k miles if possible. Not concerned about number of connections or duration of
trip really... thanks for any replies.
Did you sort the column? Often UA puts the better deals down below and has the shortest itinerary at the top.
Old May 15, 2023, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
In the calendar view, you can touch the date box and it will bring up the available flights and associated mileage. You don’t need to go elsewhere.

There might be (for example) a “Showing 24 of 36 flights” and “show more” at bottom.

Also, some of the lowest awards require long layovers on an outer island w/ a connection on HA. Don’t select United flights only or you won’t get those options.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 15, 2023 at 11:05 am
Old May 15, 2023, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
Did you sort the column? Often UA puts the better deals down below and has the shortest itinerary at the top.

yes i did that both highest at top and lowest at top always came up lowest being 25k miles.
Old May 15, 2023, 11:01 am

yes i did that both highest at top and lowest at top always came up lowest being 25k miles.
Can you give me dates and I'll take a look?
Old May 15, 2023, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
In the calendar view, you can touch the date box and it will bring up the available flights and associated mileage. You don’t need to go elsewhere.

There might be (for example) a “Showing 24 of 36 flights” and “show more” at bottom.

Also, some of the lowest awards require long layovers on an outer island w/ a connection on HA. Don’t select United flights only or you won’t get those options.
yes doing that ... i certainly don't mind going to OGG for a connection! lowest i found for PBI-IAH-LAX-OGG-HNL was 24.8k miles
Old May 15, 2023, 11:12 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
So the issue is 22.5K vs 25K ? this may be related to the 10% discount for credit card holders for saver awards
Do you have a MP credit card? The Infinity Card --

10% discount on United Economy Saver Awards within the continental U.S. and Canada

The primary Cardmember will be eligible to book award flights in United Economy on United or United Express with 10% fewer miles
Appears it does not apply to Hawaii

If you clip on the 25K and continue, does the price adjust later
Old May 15, 2023, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
Can you give me dates and I'll take a look?
sure i'm looking around OCT 22-23 to Nov 1-2
Old May 15, 2023, 11:14 am

I am seeing what the OP describes, for example:

Old May 15, 2023, 11:20 am
Original Poster

yes i even tried the 24th oct came up 24.8k as i mentioned was the lowest...

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
So the issue is 22.5K vs 25K ? this may be related to the 10% discount for credit card holders for saver awards
Do you have a MP credit card? The Infinity Card --
Appears it does not apply to Hawaii

If you clip on the 25K and continue, does the price adjust later
got a MP visa (old one) but anyhow no i click onto 25k it stays 25k ... i could buy the extra 5k miles needed i suppose but just wondering why no 22.5k
options seem to exist. i am seeing the XN fares listed as well.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 15, 2023 at 11:32 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old May 15, 2023, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I don’t know if that’s the same kind of issue, but I’ve found for revenue tickets, and particularly the app, the boxes with the lowest fare are often off from the actual lowest fare I can find. Perhaps somehow those boxes at the top are using older cached data or something. Like I said, this has been a problem for a long time, more so on the app. Pretty sure I have seen this for awards as well.

I recently saw a new version of this, as typically the box at the top will show a lower fare than I can actually find - and the lowest fare - even after bringing up show more, scrolling through the options, then trying to sort, is not there. A few days ago, when sorting, it showed up some fares that were lower than the lowest showing on the box at the top. I’m not sure if it was displaying the lowest option it had before the search was 100% complete, and then lower options appeared after, or some other reason, but that’s what I’ve noticed. .
Old May 15, 2023, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I don’t know if that’s the same kind of issue, but I’ve found for revenue tickets, and particularly the app, the boxes with the lowest fare are often off from the actual lowest fare I can find. Perhaps somehow those boxes at the top are using older cached data or something. Like I said, this has been a problem for a long time, more so on the app. Pretty sure I have seen this for awards as well.

I recently saw a new version of this, as typically the box at the top will show a lower fare than I can actually find - and the lowest fare - even after bringing up show more, scrolling through the options, then trying to sort, is not there. A few days ago, when sorting, it showed up some fares that were lower than the lowest showing on the box at the top. I’m not sure if it was displaying the lowest option it had before the search was 100% complete, and then lower options appeared after, or some other reason, but that’s what I’ve noticed. .
well that is interesting. perhaps i should keep trying... i have also tried completely different browsers (with no cookies in them) with no changes. i'll try the app as well.
Old May 15, 2023, 1:46 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
I see it as well I suspect its filtering out the 22.5K based on the total time that itin is taking, It may be possible to put together the itin using multi-city search. UA prices award flights from non-hubs more competitively than hubs, For example for different dates I can find PBI-SAN for 11.1K and then SAN-HNL for 13.3K. That total is 24.4K. But I suspect there is another non-hub that prices less. I would go through the list of non-hub west coast cities (FAT, PDL, SEA etc). Not that you necessarily want to take that option
Old May 15, 2023, 1:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
... It may be possible to put together the itin using multi-city search. ...
Awards trips built in multi-city price each segments as an individual award. This generally is a very expensive way to build awards (note 5-10 years ago this would worked perhaps but not nowadays)
Old May 15, 2023, 2:12 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Awards trips built in multi-city price each segments as an individual award. This generally is a very expensive way to build awards (note 5-10 years ago this would worked perhaps but not nowadays)
I'm not using it for each segment. 2 single 1 way searches would do the same, for example PBI-SEA & SEA-HNL on certain days will price less than PBI-HNL is available for.
Going forward due to UA pricing engine there are going to be more opportunities for those in hubs to do hidden city on award flights.

Last edited by escapefromphl; May 15, 2023 at 3:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.