Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Cannot check-in on-line. "Please proceed to the airport for assistance"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Cannot check-in on-line. "Please proceed to the airport for assistance"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by z28lt1
I've had this happen a few times. Each time I was actually able to check in online a couple of hours before my flight, so you can always try again.

There is a thread or two here somewhere about all the excuses we get form the call center when this happens...
Happens about 1-in-four international fights for me. Airport can’t check in either. I finally figured out that, if I wait until the text message comes through from UA saying ‘your flight is ready for online check-in’ or what not - which may be 6 hours before departure - then it works like a charm.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cricketer
I'm just as confused. Will find out at the airport later this afternoon, hopefully!
Just to update, took about 20 minutes, 2 ticketing/check-in agents, 1 gate agent, and a couple of phone calls at the airport. Finally got a boarding pass printed, but I did lose my upgrade status, and they were only able to manually force me onto the bottom of the upgrade list. Likely wouldn't have cleared anyway, but it's annoying to fall victim to SHARES (the agents were pretty clear about apportioning blame!).
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Tomorrow's domestic flight is my first flight with United in about seven years, and the first since I got Global Entry. I tried checking in online through a browser on three different devices, and on none of them would the computer give me the boarding pass. But the last time I tried, when I went to back to the home page, it showed me as being checked in.

I called United, thinking that maybe my name on United's res system didn't perfectly match up with TSA, so I was getting SSSS. That would be legitimate - somebody doesn't fly with them for 8 years, then buys a first class one-way ticket out of the blue... yeah, without TSA I'd probably SSSS them too.

So I'm going through the automated process and the phone robot asks me if I'd like my boarding pass resent since it sees that I'm checked in. Sure, why not... 30 seconds later, my boarding pass shows up, with PreCheck intact.

Go figure.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: Air Canada 50K, Marriott Gold,
I am flying YYZ-ORD-PNS tomorrow with my wife, tried on-line check-in this morning and for some reason I was able to check her in and get her BP but for me it says I cannot check in online as documents need to be verified at the airport I guess? Is this random? Bought the ticket through UA but am Air Canada Altitude 35K on the reservation.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TOR27
I am flying YYZ-ORD-PNS tomorrow with my wife, tried on-line check-in this morning and for some reason I was able to check her in and get her BP but for me it says I cannot check in online as documents need to be verified at the airport I guess? Is this random? Bought the ticket through UA but am Air Canada Altitude 35K on the reservation.
Does UA have your passport on file? If not and you use the app to check in, you can take a picture to transmit the information. It isn't related to how you purchased the ticket or your status.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by fumje
Does UA have your passport on file? If not and you use the app to check in, you can take a picture to transmit the information. It isn't related to how you purchased the ticket or your status.
I'll try that through the app. The have the passport info for both my wife and I. That's why I thought it weird when hers went through and mine kicked out.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TOR27
I'll try that through the app. The have the passport info for both my wife and I. That's why I thought it weird when hers went through and mine kicked out.
You may have ssssomething to look forward to, then.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by fumje
You may have ssssomething to look forward to, then.
Damn, I hope not!
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I have the "We are unable to complete the check-in process at this time. Please proceed to the airport for assistance" on SFO-HNL today 2:30 flight. The inbound is in the air and on time - outbound still fine. Wondering if because my flight got moved a day from SFO delays yesterday is causing this....
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Just ran into this issue for an Intl trip tomorrow. Nothing unusual about the reservation. Made many months ago, round trip to BKK, passport used numerous times previously and stored in my profile, etc.
Would not let me check-in on website, nor App.

Ran out to the airport. Agent swiped my passport and printed BP with no issue. No SSSS. Pre-check approved.

Monumental waste of time.
Icydubloon likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Just ran into this issue for an Intl trip tomorrow. Nothing unusual about the reservation. Made many months ago, round trip to BKK, passport used numerous times previously and stored in my profile, etc.

Ran out to the airport. Agent swiped my passport and printed BP with no issue. No SSSS. Pre-check approved.

For the roundtrip to BKK, how long does it appear that you will be staying in Thailand? What kind of passport? And which carriers are on the ticketed itinerary?

For international flights with UA this can happen a lot, especially if they assume you may require a visa for any reason, including duration of stay, or want to confirm your passport in person or at the kiosk for some reason before allowing checkin at the airport. It happens more so on UA multi-carrier roundtrip tickets in my experience.

Ever since I loaded my passport info and had it confirmed in the UA app and use that to check in for international UA flights, I’ve had way fewer of these boarding pass-not-issued situations with UA OLCI.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by GUWonder

For the roundtrip to BKK, how long does it appear that you will be staying in Thailand? What kind of passport? And which carriers are on the ticketed itinerary?

For international flights with UA this can happen a lot, especially if they assume you may require a visa for any reason, including duration of stay, or want to confirm your passport in person or at the kiosk for some reason before allowing checkin at the airport. It happens more so on UA multi-carrier roundtrip tickets in my experience.

Ever since I loaded my passport info and had it confirmed in the UA app and use that to check in for international UA flights, I’ve had way fewer of these boarding pass-not-issued situations with UA OLCI.
It is a 10 day stay. I have not had this happen on one-way reservations.

USA passport, which I have used many, many times with United. (Not newly issued).

UA and HX flights.

I tried to do on-line check in again, due to a plane swap and wanting to change seat assignments. Still have the Must Check In at Airport nonsense.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Will have zero impact on your upgrade chances.

Prior to the gate, you don't need to be checked in to be upgraded from the non-visible pre-gate list.

At the gate, upgrading is not done until the check-in deadline has passed, since you will checked-in before that point, you should be fine. The gate list third sort item is check-in time but it has been reported the time (Sequence Number) of the attempt is registered and used as check-in order.
Does it still work this way? Woke up in the middle of the night to check in with my friends but they got the dreaded “message “ (No BP, doc check). Mine went right through.
They’re waitlisted for an UG and it’s getting very tight.

Edit to add: Winecountry is right, Both UGs came through a few hours later while they were not checked in.
Nice to know it works as it should

Last edited by chavala; Jul 6, 2019 at 6:08 am
Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goodeats21

Just reporting back. This trip acted weird over the entire trip. Could not check-in online for the return either.
Check-in at airports went fine. No SSSS, no sync issues. Just would not work in any manner on line / app.

And boarding passes did not show up on the app ever. The "Boarding Pass" button on the home screen just never showed up. And no BPs in the My Trips section either.

Hope this was a one-off experience.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
So I have this stupid message for my upcoming flight to Mumbai tomorrow (India visa needed - have it, but no way to input it in app or website). It isn't even giving me a BP for my IAD-EWR itinerary, so cannot even get on the upgrade list even with a B fare. Guess I don't have an option but wait until airport?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.