Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Cannot check-in on-line. "Please proceed to the airport for assistance"

Cannot check-in on-line. "Please proceed to the airport for assistance"

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 4, 18, 1:37 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 27, 13, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Exclamation Cannot check-in on-line. "Please proceed to the airport for assistance"

What does it mean if I get the error message "We are unable to complete the check-in process at this time. Please proceed to the airport for assistance"?

Premier line rep told me "there might be a glitch, we've been getting some calls tonight," but was unable to check me in. Web support rep said the same thing.

This is for 9:15pm EWR-ORD tomorrow (last flight of the day). Should I anticipate trouble, and allow for extra time at the airport?

(PS: first flight on United in more than a year. In the meantime, ~20 trouble-free segments on a competitor.)
Old Jun 27, 13, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you complete TSA Secure Flight info prior to checking in? May not be problem, but thought I'd ask.
Old Jun 27, 13, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA peon
Originally Posted by jg70124 View Post
What does it mean if I get the error message "We are unable to complete the check-in process at this time. Please proceed to the airport for assistance"?

Premier line rep told me "there might be a glitch, we've been getting some calls tonight," but was unable to check me in. Web support rep said the same thing.

This is for 9:15pm EWR-ORD tomorrow (last flight of the day). Should I anticipate trouble, and allow for extra time at the airport?

(PS: first flight on United in more than a year. In the meantime, ~20 trouble-free segments on a competitor.)
This is troublesome message. +95% of the time I have always arrived at the airport not checked in to be checked in with out any problems. When I call United they cannot tell me the problem and they have not been able to check me in. The flights this has occurred on are international so I have only sporadically been able to check in online. I always arrive at the airport earlier then an earlier flight which could connect be to my destination if that is possible. Only once was this prudent but it ment that I missed a 787 flight connection in biz and had to connect in coach.
Old Jun 27, 13, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Did you complete TSA Secure Flight info prior to checking in? May not be problem, but thought I'd ask.
Yes. But I called the premier line again and was told that I'm "selected for additional screening." So I guess I will in fact allow extra time at the airport.

Or maybe it's punishment for straying from the UA fold...
Old Oct 14, 13, 5:17 pm

Programs: United, BA, FlyingBLue, AA
Cannot check in for flight online - Is this typical these days?

Have made several attempts to check in on line for a flight 23 hours away. Each time, I go through the entire process (international - website asks several questions). Get to the end, and always get the message:
"We are unable to complete the check-in process at this time. Please proceed to the airport for assistance. "

... ? UA's computers are obviously not down, since I can view the reservation etc.
Old Oct 14, 13, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, CX GR, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
Yes, typically need to verify your passport and/or visa.
Old Oct 14, 13, 6:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While this is most typically a function of UA's need to verify your documents and thus accomplished quickly, it can also be due to your reservation being out of "synch" a common UA IT fault.

It is well worth calling UA. If it's the likely former issue, just show up early enough to sustain a line at check-in. If it's the latter, a phone agent can fix it for you on the spot.

If it's something else and problematic, all better to fix it before the airport.
Old Oct 14, 13, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by USFdonWill View Post
Most likely. I've been traveling to/from Canada 3-4 times a month for the past decade and about every 18-24 Months I get this. When I check in at the airport, the kiosk will request that i scan my passport. After that I'm good. It always seems to happen when I'm returning from Canada, never had it happen on an outboard journey.
Old Oct 24, 13, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I tried to do OLCI but saw this message. I waited a bit and tried again to no avail. I then tried checking in via the mobile app and it worked. Go figure.
Old Oct 24, 13, 11:59 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum (and falling fast)
Just had the same "Unable to complete the check-in process" message pop up for a domestic itinerary tomorrow (T-23)

Originally Posted by USFdonWill View Post
Domestic, so shouldn't be an issue

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
While this is most typically a function of UA's need to verify your documents and thus accomplished quickly, it can also be due to your reservation being out of "synch" a common UA IT fault.
Two agents have confirmed that the reservation is "in synch" so that's not it. They say there's nothing they can do from their end and IT helpdesk was unable to help either.

Not sure what the issue is - it's not like they don't know who I am, this is my 74th segment of the year!

Frustrating as on a trans-con flight, check in time could be key for upgrade priority (something the agents fail to grasp/care about)
Old Oct 24, 13, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1K, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RockinRon View Post
I tried to do OLCI but saw this message. I waited a bit and tried again to no avail. I then tried checking in via the mobile app and it worked. Go figure.
I had the exact same thing happen to me a week ago. Makes no sense at all.
Old Oct 24, 13, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GroundStop View Post
Frustrating as on a trans-con flight, check in time could be key for upgrade priority (something the agents fail to grasp/care about)
Have you tried to instant message UA Insider (Aaron)?
Old Oct 24, 13, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC

Check-in time is the 3rd criteria. So within all the 1Ks, it's the 2nd criteria, after fare class.
Old Oct 24, 13, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Just had the same "Unable to complete the check-in process" message pop up for a domestic itinerary tomorrow (T-23)
Try via the mobile app.
Old Oct 24, 13, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum (and falling fast)
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
Check-in time is the 3rd criteria. So within all the 1Ks, it's the 2nd criteria, after fare class.
Every little helps though!

Originally Posted by RockinRon View Post
Try via the mobile app.
Tried that - no luck unfortunately

Originally Posted by mdobbins View Post
Have you tried to instant message UA Insider (Aaron)?
Just did.

Additional info....
I had an agent screwing around trying to apply an RPU prior to check-in window, so despite additional agents claiming that it's in synch, my money is on this being the root cause

Search this Thread
Search Engine: