Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iluv2fly
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The value of ETCs (or is it considered a discount from the fare?). (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include) -Note: the Mileage plus site indicates ETC's count towards PQD (12/16/13 imgonnafly)
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's Note:

2014 version of this thread can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536552-mileageplus-premier-qualifying-dollar-pqd-requirement-discussion-thread-2014-a-15.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:33 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
LOL. This thread is even worse than the DL Forum when the news broke. Let's put it this way. You mow lawns in your neighboorhood. One guy has 20,000 square foot lawn. He pays you $20 to mow it and also requires you to trim the hedges. Another guy has a 15,000 square foot lawn and pays you $50 just to mow it. Why on earth would you think the first guy is a more valuable customer? Yet in airline terms, the first guy is more "valuable" because he consumes more product, even if at a lower price. Yet any rationale person could figure out that the second customer is more valuable to the provider of the service. There's nothing wrong with being an LVC. Even in my example, you've determined what the customer is willing to pay and decided it was worth your while to accept it. But it's assinine to think someone is equally or more valuable or a better customer solely because they consume more product.
Bolding mine: very well said ^

Originally Posted by hobo13
Logical, perhaps. But recent experience with COdbaUA indicates that logic may not apply.....
Imho, logic hasn't applied since Co bought merged with UA

Originally Posted by mkr
In my opinion, if AA is smart they will not join UA and DL by requiring minimum spend for Elite status and thereby gain customers who leave UA and DL.
Yup ^ as they've already gotten a bunch so why not get a bunch more

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Some people think firing some 1Ks will magically bring back Starbucks. Or something.

Hope they aren't in important positions in their day job.

To those that believe in the future magic unicorn, what exactly is the lush product of being a 1K being over consumed today?

1K no longer has exclusive check-in, boarding at leisure, and has TODs to deal with. What is there really?
Bolding mine: There is none and hasn't been since 3/3/12
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
You are forgetting category 3: those of us who easily hit 100,000 PQM, easily have $10,000 in spend, but direct a lot of it onto Star Alliance, buying LH, TK, etc business class fares. UA has decided we're not valuable to them, because they don't see enough of our money. Not saying it's a bad call on their part, but it's possible I might just go to LH next year instead of UA.
I think that this group makes up the majority of "Current 1K's Who Won't Qualify Under The New Program," and probably the main reason why UA is implementing this policy. Those of us (like myself) who barely graze 100K EQM's, but do it by flying all (or mostly) UA metal may fall a bit under $10K, and we can easily make that up by paying a wee bit closer attention to our fare classes in the future.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by exerda
And that's what really baffles me about many of UA's policy changes over the past 16 months or so: almost none of it is going to improve their image among Kettles, and almost all of it is hurting UA's image among road warriors and elites.

They're going to go from being a carrier who the public at large loathed but whose loyal flyers were quite loyal ... to a carrier who is loathed by all.
Great summation! ^
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:34 pm

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
Originally Posted by ddrost1
prediction:
don't plan on getting your E+ free in 2014 (or certainly not in 2015), regardless of your status.
You might have a point there. Otherwise, that comment only addresses GM's and Silver's. Hmmm. I wonder?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by SgtRyan
What happens to people who buy from a travel agent or a package deal on Expedia etc? United wont know the rate will they?
Yes they will. If it is a deeply discounted consolidator fare, you don't get credit. Expedia has to buy those tickets from UA and you will get credit for that (again, assuming it's not a consolidator fare)

Same goes for corporate contracts. What happens if you have a company who spend $4 million a year on travel with United via their corporate TA....does that not count any more?
That never counted at an individual level, only for those few who United gifted status in order to help seal the contract. If you work for a corporation that has those contracts, you will get credit for the actual $ spent (after the discount). If there is a backend rebate, then you will be better off.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:45 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
There seems to be a few of you referencing some of the sub 10pcm 1k flyers are not the ones UA cares about. However...

1. Most flyers as we all know are the kettles who just buy what kayak says is cheapest.

2. Airlines fares are generally dictated by the fare classes in blocks of 9

3. The sooner the airline gets from the lower fare class to the higher fare class and starts to get into the higher revenue buckets the better

4. The cheaper fare bucket passenger is still needed to get to the higher fare bucket

5. If the flight does not fill up, then we generally do not get to the Y, B, M fares and as such, the higher revenues.

I know some people go searching for specific fare buckets, but the family kayaker does not

Every ticket contributes to the piece of the pie
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
But is it being over consumed such that UA needed to thin the ranks?

IOW, they want you buying B/M/H. If the majority were they wouldn't add these constraints.

The notion that somehow thinning the ranks will lead to a better product with this management crew is simply Insane.
I'm not sure what you're talking about now. The question was whether they want to incentivize people to take lots of low-dollar mileage runs or mistake fares. Sure, those people aren't competing with me for B/M upgrades. It doesn't cost much to UA for them to have 1K status. But it does cost something to UA to fly them around the country or around the world at very low fares. They would probably rather not have those customers at all.

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
4. The cheaper fare bucket passenger is still needed to get to the higher fare bucket
No, UA can set their fares however they like. They decide how many discount tickets to sell not based on some external force, but based on knowing how many of the higher-fare tickets they will sell under more restrictive guidelines, and then selling the rest at lower prices rather than fly empty seats. If changes result in less demand for low-value fares and the same or slightly higher demand for high-value fares, they can just rebalance the number of seats and fares that they offer to make more money from that new situation.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 19, 2013 at 2:51 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:47 pm

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
More than 1300 posts in a day about this?!?
Maybe I am being too nonchalant as I easily hit 10K spend, but isn't it difficult to fly 100K miles on UA metal without spending 10K?

I mean this comes out to $100 spent per 1000 EQM's flown. With the exception of a few deep discounted international tickets and transcons, I would find it difficult to do 100K miles on less than $10K.

I realize this weeds out some mileage runners and segment runners, but isn't this really a small percentage of those with status?

Disclaimer: I didn't read all 1350 posts, so if this was said and commented on before, please reply with the post numbers.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by star_world
If you think that's their motivation, then why are *A flights included if it's a UA ticket? They don't get the revenue then either. Like I said above, it sounds much more like a technical limitation than a conclusion that you're "not valuable".

I'm hopeful that they do in fact find a way to allow these flights to be counted.
It has to be a limitation because with their own stock, they can get history and see, with another's stock they either are unable or would have to pay $$ to get it. For example, my XXX-YYY flight three months ago didn't post. I think it would be difficult for UA to get access to non-016 stock. This is going to be a big mess.

Tickets are like checks - 016 is Bank of UA, 022 is Bank of Airline X, 093 is Expedia, etc. ACH (Airline Clearing House) acts as a Federal Reserve of sorts (IATA Clearinghouse) for 300+ airlines. It makes sure that if you have three airlines on 016 stock, they each get their $$. All this comes at a cost. I have a feeling that UA can access 016 stock, but for them to have access to another airline's it would either be costly or not possible.

So, either three things:

- UA's system can only read UA 016 stock tickets
- UA doesn't want to fork over the added $$ to get the info to read non-016 tickets
- One airline can't have access to another's ticketing info

Anyone know what is true?

Last edited by UrbaneGent; Jun 19, 2013 at 2:55 pm
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by UA Insider
In the meantime, if you still have any more questions after going through the FAQ, please post them here and I’ll do my best to clarify.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Aaron -

I will ask a question directly to which many people (including myself) assume we know the answer, but since you have invited us to ask you any questions, I hope you will answer and/or clarify my question.

On its face, the new Premier qualifying dollars program seems like it is an entirely negative change as it relates to the passenger experience. In other words, it appears that while it may result in greater revenues for United, there is no further benefit accruing to Premiers in 2014 as a result of this change.

Could you please confirm whether or not there is any accompanying change to the new PDQ that represents new or improved benefits for Premiers? Many of us would feel much better about this policy if we knew that there was something "in it" for us.

I do hope you'll answer my question, as it truly is intended as a serious inquiry, and one that all of your Premier customers here on FT would, I'm sure, like to know.

Thanks,
Greg
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
prediction:
don't plan on getting your E+ free in 2014 (or certainly not in 2015), regardless of your status.
Originally Posted by star_world
I see zero basis for this - just sounds highly alarmist.

The vast majority of UA pax have to pay for E+ if they want it now at all, and the vast majority of the remainder have to pay for it if they want it >24hrs out. The percentage of UA pax that get E+ for free is tiny - and there's no competitive pressure to move away from that.
Originally Posted by ibuyyoufly
You might have a point there. Otherwise, that comment only addresses GM's and Silver's. Hmmm. I wonder?
Let's think about some facts for a moment:

E+ spend is going to be a component of the FF elite earning program.

E+ subscription option was just reintroduced after being axed around the time of the merger.

UA elites are even more addicted to E+ than to upgrades, free bags, or arguably any other UA benefit. E+ is a huge deciding factor in my being a UA elite.

UA sells some fraction of E+ seats for $19-100+ a flight.

In UA's eyes, this means that some (potentially large) fraction of "elites" might pay for E+, maybe not at the same markup as kettles, but at some markup whether it be for an annual subscription. The product is too much better than E- to not pay for it when you are flying that much.

Why would they make E+ spend a part of the FF program if this isn't the route they were going to go? If they indeed plan to keep E+ free for elites, the only people who would benefit from it being a component of elite qualifying are those who are spending almost $2500 and flying over 25k. Then, a couple E+ purchases in that 25k would put you over the top for silver. Presumably, once one earned silver, E+ would still be free at T-24 and the incentive to continue purchasing it is gone.

The writing is on the wall. I am just translating the current set of facts into a logical outcome. By 2015, E+ will not be free at any point certainly for silver, probably for gold, and maybe not for anyone. Not saying it won't come cheaper for elites, but they wouldn't code it into the program if they were not going to leverage it as a hurdle between you and your elite status.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
No, UA can set their fares however they like. They decide how many discount tickets to sell not based on some external force, but based on knowing how many of the higher-fare tickets they will sell under more restrictive guidelines, and then selling the rest at lower prices rather than fly empty seats. If changes result in less demand for low-value fares and the same or slightly higher demand for high-value fares, they can just rebalance the number of seats and fares that they offer to make more money from that new situation.
I've not found the above to be the case. I know sometimes they will only offer the higher buckets at first, but generally you can "play around" with it to get the lower buckets especially if the ticket is a round trip or multiple destination ticket
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
There seems to be a few of you referencing some of the sub 10pcm 1k flyers are not the ones UA cares about. However...

1. Most flyers as we all know are the kettles who just buy what kayak says is cheapest.

2. Airlines fares are generally dictated by the fare classes in blocks of 9

3. The sooner the airline gets from the lower fare class to the higher fare class and starts to get into the higher revenue buckets the better

5. If the flight does not fill up, then we generally do not get to the Y, B, M fares and as such, the higher revenues.

I know some people go searching for specific fare buckets, but the family kayaker does not

Every ticket contributes to the piece of the pie
You're quite a bit confused about how fare buckets work. There are lots of resources out there on the internet, but let me try to explain where you're a bit off.

1. There are no 'blocks of 9'. Q9 just means that somewhere between 9 and infinity seats are available in that fare class.

2. Fare classes are segment-wise (ignoring married segments). Fares, on the other hand, are end-to-end. If you're trying to go one-way NYC-IAH, no matter how you get there, you have to travel in some ungodly high fare class. Doesn't matter if lower buckets are "available." The fares aren't.

3. Fare buckets are nested. When someone buys an N ticket, that can decrease G. There's no need to "go through" the lower fare buckets.

4. Revenue management knows exactly what it's doing. The number of seats in a given fare class is the number of seats UA is willing to sell at that level. If they think they can fill a plane with high-price fares, they'll never release the lower fare classes.

5. Unless something is wrong or were talking about a complicated itinerary, the Kayaker and the super-expert-man-who-knows-how-to-search-for-specific-fare-classes will get the same lowest fare.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
This is going to be a bit long and technical but here is the main idea:

I think UA is underestimating the negative impact of the high degree of uncertainty they are introducing into the elite qualifying system.

A good portion of elite flyers know approximately how many miles and how many trips they may take in the coming year, and the likelihood that they will be able to fly them on MP earning carriers. Based on that knowledge, we decide on the feasibility of earning an elite status, and the benefits that status will bring. We then decide, at each booking point, whether the incremental cost of booking on UA or *A over an alternative exceeds that flight's contribution to the goal.

What UA has done here is introduce considerably more uncertainty into a flyer's decision making. Now, in order to calculate the value of flying UA, I must not only estimate how much I will fly in the next year, but the value of the UA-ticketed flights. The key point is this: The less certain I am about the probability of achieving a specific elite level, my cost threshold for booking with a different airline will be [weakly] lower (that is, the threshold might be the same, but no higher).

As a simplified example, suppose I am fairly certain that I will fly 110K miles in the next year. Now, I am booking a 12K trip. I know that if I book away from UA EQM, the 'cost' of doing so is the cost from moving from 1k to Plat (let's call that cost 'C^'). Therefore, if a ticket on AA costs $C less than UA, but C<C^, I will still book on UA. Under the new regime, if I think with probability p<1 that my 110K miles will hit the $10K spend mark, there is a (1-p) chance that the 12K trip will make no difference to my spending goal, and thus my cost threshold for staying with UA decreases from C^ to p*C^.

I gather that UA thinks that the new system will incentive customers to spend more so that they increase p, but I think that effect will be second order, and counteracted more strongly by people booking away from UA earlier in the year. In other words, for those who bother to stick with UA through the year, once their PDQ gap becomes certain, the new rules will induce some to increase their spending to bridge the gap. However, more people won't even get to that point (or will face marginal PDQ bridging at lower overall spending) because the incentive to fly UA from the beginning has decreased.

Note that UA has thought about these issues, as evidenced by the Chase exception. But they could further ameliorate these effects these few ways (and others):

1) Replacing the UA ticket stock rule with something more sensible for TATLs. This would alleviate uncertainty from individuals being unsure how code share flights will be ticketed, and is basically revenue neutral for UA given the revenue sharing agreements.

2) Doing away with the 'taxes don't count' rule. I can see why UA thinks this makes sense--taxes don't go into UA's pocket. But this rule only serves to increase uncertainty about hitting status, as customers are indifferent to a dollar of taxes or fare, and hence do not have a good idea about the portion of each paid. A better idea is for UA to just increase the threshold to, e.g. 11000, and let taxes count.

3) Announce meaningful benefit increases to elite status. This would have the effect of raising the cost threshold C^. I suppose that the award fee increase for non-elites is actually a form of this, and I expect more such 'benefit increases' in the form of non-elite benefit reductions in the coming year.

Even with these tweaks, I'm skeptical that any revenue increases won't be offset by an eroding customer base who know longer sees it in their interest to achieve UA status.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA IK, Hyatt Plat, Avis PP
Why would they make E+ spend a part of the FF program if this isn't the route they were going to go?
This is an incentive to attract new flyers, and have silver's purchase E+. Nothing more. In no way will they remove E+ for Gold's and higher. Pure paranoia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.