Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iluv2fly
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The value of ETCs (or is it considered a discount from the fare?). (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include) -Note: the Mileage plus site indicates ETC's count towards PQD (12/16/13 imgonnafly)
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's Note:

2014 version of this thread can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536552-mileageplus-premier-qualifying-dollar-pqd-requirement-discussion-thread-2014-a-15.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2013, 5:31 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
It's not the spend requirement...hell, I think I've spent upwards of 30k on tickets already this year, but I want to spend my money on foreign partner airlines that offer products worth paying for, not on the crap UA offers. I guess, I will just move Chase Sapphire points to GAPE United for awards tickets and credit paid flights to Aegean to make *G. Unless I can use my French address to avoid this mess?
They why would you care about United Status and not credit the miles to the partner program?
Old Jun 18, 2013, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NiceLanding
And how hard would it be for Chase to offer a new set of cards with 1.5x or 2x the points of the current cards? Maybe UA gives them a break on the unit cost in exchange for cutting back on some of the other benefits, and Chase has a great hook for next year's advertising campaign.
Well, the way I look at it, the $ opportunity cost to UA of a miles redemption (what UA would have otherwise sold the seat for in $) is the same whether they charge X or 2X miles for the seat. If you keep the total number of miles you're making available in the environment for constant then making miles redemption more expensive makes sense - you reduce the liability of unredeemed miles. But if you allow Chase to go 2x with what it is handing out, and at time give them a price break, you (UA) are both removing saleable seats from inventory and reducing the revenue you are getting for doing so.

That makes sense in my head...not sure if it does in reality. I'm no accountant...
Old Jun 18, 2013, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.2 MM
So, when will PQDs actually be "deposited" in your account? I ask this because last year I crossed to 1k with a flight bought and ticketed in 2012, but my departure date was 2012 and my return date was 2013.

It was a ticket bought in J, so lots of PQM and presumably PQD, but here is the deal, my outbound flight was 2012, so the ~6,000 PQMs were deposited in 2012 and made me cross into 1k. The return flight was in 2013 and the corresponding ~6,000 PQMs were my first miles accrued in 2013. The ticket cost was approximately $4k. Would the entire $4k count to my 2012 status or would it be split with $2k (outbound) in 2012 and $2k (return) in 2013? That could make the difference between enough PQD or not (as it did for PQM for me).

Programs: United Gold, BA Plat, Starwood Plat, Hilton Silver
Just like Delta...

People keep on complaining that they are going to leave for the greener pastures of Delta...and now they are complaining that United is doing something that Delta does. Ha!

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Auuuuuughhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

1. UA/CO merger: I should have switched to AA

2. AA merging with US: I'm glad I didn't switch to AA

3. PDQ: I'm outa' here PDQ.

4. Other airlines follow suit: I'm takin the bus... (oh wait, I already ride 30 segments a year on the bus)

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This really sucks.

Once the big boom dies down, I would sure like some answers from Aaron...

..and PDQ
Old Jun 18, 2013, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by UAConcorde
Maybe I'm blind but I haven't seen a single answer from Aaron.
Give him a break. He's just the messenger. The FAQ that UA posted was pretty comprehensive. I'm sure UA is preparing some sort f response to the few issues that are not covered by it.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 5:35 pm

Another angry vote

I don't fly for business, and I don't do MR's. And yet, I've managed to maintain at least Gold status for last few years, mostly because I've chosen to be loyal to United, despite its poor planes and poor service.

But last year, I lost my bonus miles to just 50%, and this year, I get lumped with same boarding group as credit card holders. And now this? I've been a loyal customer, and this is your ways to tell me that you don't care for my business...
Old Jun 18, 2013, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Re: OP. Well, this quashes thoughts of moving from DL to UA. Bravo!

It's also likely to make the year-end mileage runs a thing of the past, as needing to qualify on both PQDs and miles will be too much hassle for all except those right on the borderline. And if you have a lifetime status that is near or above what you would be busted down to with PQDs, there's no incentive to fly more at all.

We're seeing this move thanks to having only effectively three legacy carriers/alliances instead of 5 or 6. Pure and simple. The trend is toward U.S. passengers being treated as hub captives and not particularly well with FF programs, not unlike the Europeans and certain others who live in countries with a single dominant national carrier. Those airlines have long had less-generous FF policies for their own captives than in the U.S., and now U.S. carriers are converging on that.

For those of you who think there might be a silver lining or something in it if you can meet the requirements, puh-leeze. The same diminished competition that brought this in the first place also means they won't feel obligated to offer more. Most of their most frequent flyers are hub-captives and they know it. And if they do throw you some kind of bone, history shows it'll get yanked back with any hard times (fuel spike, something like SARS, etc.)

If AA doesn't plan to match then they should announce it. Otherwise the big winners are ULCCs/LCCs domestically (and increasingly internationally, with Air Asia X a model for long-range), Southwest (they seem to gain everytime something like this happens), and non-allied airlines that routinely are among the cheapest for certain routes.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 5:39 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by novaguy30
People keep on complaining that they are going to leave for the greener pastures of Delta...and now they are complaining that United is doing something that Delta does. Ha!
Eh, the folks who have talked about going to DL aren't doing so based on their FFP. UA needs to realize that! DL's product beats UA hands-down at the moment in many ways for the most important aspect of travel: the actual flight. People know SkyPesos suck and folks here who talk about leaving for DL are the first to say that.

Most people who talk about leaving for FF benefits talk about AA, who has not (yet) undertaken the dramatic devaluations which UA has. Probably they will, but as of now, AA looks very good from a FFP perspective.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by palladia
I don't fly for business, and I don't do MR's. And yet, I've managed to maintain at least Gold status for last few years, mostly because I've chosen to be loyal to United, despite its poor planes and poor service.

But last year, I lost my bonus miles to just 50%, and this year, I get lumped with same boarding group as credit card holders. And now this? I've been a loyal customer, and this is your ways to tell me that you don't care for my business...
How else would you prefer they tell you they don't care about your business?

First they told you with the 50%, then by lumping you with the credit card holders, and now with PQDs. What else do they need to do for you to finally get the message?
Old Jun 18, 2013, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Program Enhancements?

The email from UA announcing the changes included the following sentence (bold mine):

"We will provide you with more information on the 2014 program going forward, including details on how you can track your Premier qualifying dollars, plus information on some new program enhancements. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you on board."

Any guess as to what these 'new program enhancements' may be?

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
This is what I don't get

Are PQDs like EQMs where it doesn't matter who books & pays for the flight, they get credited to the flyer?

also, can someone tell me why I just wouldn't go with A3 and get *G on this?
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Going the non-US airline program route for alliance status benefits and then paying a la carte for any "in-flight" benefits is the strategy of my choice and has been for quite some time. Where I credit the flights is a bit of a toss-up.

Originally Posted by BearX220
I
Miles are next on the block, for sure. You hear Smisek say how much he admires DL. Surely one of the things he admires is how they can charge 350k SkyPesos for a flight to Europe and not face mobs with torches. Soon the MP currency will have similar value.
Indeed. Anytime a player in the "loyalty" program industry starts singing the praises of DL, it's times to watch out and make plans to avoid getting burned.

It's really unfortunate for consumers that the big 3 US airlines have been allowed to merge with other big players domestically and also have international JVs that have been ATIed. All favors granted by governments -- just another form of corporate welfare.
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RustyC
It's also likely to make the year-end mileage runs a thing of the past, as needing to qualify on both PQDs and miles will be too much hassle for all except those right on the borderline. And if you have a lifetime status that is near or above what you would be busted down to with PQDs, there's no incentive to fly more at all.
I wonder if we're going to see bad Q4 results due to all the pax who would otherwise be flying on last-minute status runs (and many more pax do that than MR, mind you)? What will Jeffy blame?

Or will he just keep cutting capacity, eliminating frequency in December?
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Give him a break. He's just the messenger. The FAQ that UA posted was pretty comprehensive. I'm sure UA is preparing some sort f response to the few issues that are not covered by it.
Exactly. It's clear many here haven't even read the FAQ, instead resorting to snarkiness re: cashews.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.