Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iluv2fly
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The value of ETCs (or is it considered a discount from the fare?). (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include) -Note: the Mileage plus site indicates ETC's count towards PQD (12/16/13 imgonnafly)
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's Note:

2014 version of this thread can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536552-mileageplus-premier-qualifying-dollar-pqd-requirement-discussion-thread-2014-a-15.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FLYDCA
But they can still have many of the benefits by simplying carrying the Chase credit card.
IMO any Silver who gets to that level on the cheaper fares would be wise to just go the CC route...similar benefits for $85 as for $2,500
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Well. Not unexpected. I really think this makes sense and I support this move. I wish AA did it, too. It is a much better model than transactional loyalty on a one-off basis. Now that status is more meaningful, that should bode well for those who fulfill the published criteria.
I doubt that the last sentence above is the way it will end up going.

After the thinning of the herd, then the following decimation or worse for the remainder of the herd faces less public outcry, less resistance and goes ahead since there are fewer who care or who are in a position to care and respond forcefully to the forces that turn against them eventually too.

Things will get uglier, so prepare to be fleeced and then decimated by those who pretend to be doing you a favor while thinning the herd. The ruling party aren't doing this to enhance long-term benefits given to the "over-entitled elites", and so benefit reductions will eventually follow for the remainder of the elite herd with fewer in a position to care to make some noise about the reduction in benefits too.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
Except for those of us that live outside the USA for the moment

I side note that this seams like a STUPID idea considering how easy it is to get a mail forwarding address in UK/AU/NZ that for less then $50 year will forward your mail back to the USA
My guess is, they will be very tough with people 'moving'

From Delta MQD:
Residency: Country of residence is determined by the primary address in the member’s SkyMiles account at the time of qualification for Medallion status. Documentation may be required for some types of address changes. Please see the SkyMiles Membership Guide for more information and a list of acceptable documentation. Delta reserves the right to audit an account at any time for residency requirements, request further supporting documentation and update the address for any member's SkyMiles account using the National Change of Address (NCOA) data filed by relocating postal customers, but shall have no obligation to do so. Accounts found in violation are subject to penalty, up to and including termination of Medallion status and closure of the SkyMiles account.

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
To those who say this will only affect MR-ers: There's this thing called leisure travel, which is often done at less than 10 cpm.
people flying for work have a hard time understanding people go on vacations on airplanes it seems.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 18, 2013 at 8:44 am Reason: merge
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:36 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
Originally Posted by halls120
So, does this also signal the end of purchasing PQM miles once you've purchased a ticket?

At least they didn't announce this on Friday afternoon.
I'd hope they would either kill this or make $$ spent on PQM purchase count towards PQD.

UA Insider: Can we safely assume YQ is considered a carrier imposed surcharge (can't see how it would not be)?
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Since I'm primarily a leisure traveler who is always looking for the best deal (and to get VDB'd), this will make it more challenging for me to hit those premier thresholds.

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by halls120
So, does this also signal the end of purchasing PQM miles once you've purchased a ticket?

At least they didn't announce this on Friday afternoon.
Maybe purchased PQMs will count toward PQD? Lord knows they're pretty expensive.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:37 am
RNE

Your clairvoyant Uncle RNE told you this was coming, but did you believe me?!

Winners: Premier passengers; they will face less competition.

Losers: Mileage runners; they will face reality.

Honorable Mention: Adam Smith @:-)

RNE, advising MRs to snag your cheap elite status this year. You won't have it after January 2015.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
To those who say this will only affect MR-ers: There's this thing called leisure travel, which is often done at less than 10 cpm.
+1 on that. Even my "expensive" leisure trips are usually under 10 cpm, most are under 7 cpm. (My MRs are under 4 cpm)

That is who I feel bad for. The leisure traveler that takes 5 transcons for $400 each. They get 27K miles for the year. They are not a high revenue flyer but they are a loyal "frequent flyer". They don't even get to book E+ until check-in anymore and are down to the same number of checked bags as someone that shells out $90 for a United CC.

That is the real travesty here.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:41 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by RNE
Winners: Premier passengers; they will face less competition.
I suspect the real winners will be those non frequent flyers looking to snag TOD's.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:41 am

For leisure travelers this seems like a good time to head for Kayak, which is likely what UA wants anyway.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
so how many "business" flyers will now be waiting longer for their employer to buy their "business" ticket until the price is more expensive
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I would encourage UA to use this opportunity to roll out some improvement in elite recognition, a la DL, to coincide with the spend requirement. If this airline wants to goose revenue per traveler, at least make the experience something we feel good about spending money on.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:45 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
Now those smaller first class cabins make sense.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by EWR764
I would encourage UA to use this opportunity to roll out some improvement in elite recognition, a la DL, to coincide with the spend requirement. If this airline wants to goose revenue per traveler, at least make the experience something we feel good about spending money on.
Concur!

I want to ask Aaron the following, since he's probably being innundated with questions:

What about:

purchased PQM miles?
purchased upgrades at booking?
miles & money upgrades after booking?

will those $$ count?
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:47 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by rankourabu
people flying for work have a hard time understanding people go on vacations on airplanes it seems.
I do both. And I just looked at all of my leisure travel that I have left for this year. Only ONE of them doesn't meet the 10 CPM threshold, and I thought the fare I got there was very cheap:

ORD-BOS: 18 CPM
ORD-SFO: 10.4 CPM
ORD-DCA: 18 CPM
ORD-LNK: 21 CPM
ORD-SJU: 7.5 CPM

If you are exclusively a leisure traveler who is only getting the absolute rock bottom fares every single time, sure, maybe you won't be elite, but then maybe you don't deserve to be.

My partner will achieve silver this year just barely, and his PQD spend will easily meet the $2500 threshold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.