Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iluv2fly
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The value of ETCs (or is it considered a discount from the fare?). (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include) -Note: the Mileage plus site indicates ETC's count towards PQD (12/16/13 imgonnafly)
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's Note:

2014 version of this thread can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536552-mileageplus-premier-qualifying-dollar-pqd-requirement-discussion-thread-2014-a-15.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2013, 8:59 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The ticket info for JV travel is accessible to UA, so not sure why it would be a problem for UA IT.
Because UA IT has issues with even basic functionality? Their mileage calculator hasn't worked for years (yeah, minor issue, but one which should have been easily fixed years ago).

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Chairman's Preferred is not EXP, so actually they don't.

And seriously, you think AA would be willing to sell unlimited domestic space-available upgrades (without competition from anyone below EXP unless they want to pay $ or use an instrument) + 8 SWUs for $4,000 or less? When DL and UA are requiring 10K in airfare spend, and have much worse SWUs and benefits (AA's upgrade from any fare class and use award buckets, IIRC)? OK, then. I wouldn't be making any firm plans continued availability of buy-up, but hey, it's your funeral...
I said that with US running the show, they may indeed continue to sell top-tier status. All of those great EXP benefits may very well go away, too, just like the 1K benefits have been slashed at UA under current leadership.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by vandrei
Just when you thought UA management couldn't get any dumber.

Yesterday, Jeff Smisek acknowledged in a WSJ article that drastic changes to MP last year hurt United, and then this note comes out today.

Are they trying to drive away their mid-tier customers?

If UA wants to compete on premium product, then I'm sorry, it ain't gonna work. I've gotten the chance to fly in domestic F due to CPUs and mile-based upgrades this year. I've even been tricked by one of UA's buy-up at ticketing but it's not really a buy-up shenanigans into paying for domestic F. And the product, by and large, has been inconsistent. Sometimes it's good. Most times it's meh. And I have noticed the reductions in food quantity - and I'm not just talking about the hot nuts here.

That said, all that's left is the "kettles." And UA's product for them is inferior to the WN, JetBlue, Virgin, etc. equivalents. I have plenty of "kettle" friends who absolutely refuse to fly UA and even deride me for doing so - they have zero loyalty and they don't like getting nickel-and-dimed for E+/bags/WiFi (does UA even have WiFi onboard yet?).

Seriously, though, this is not hard. UA's management has forgotten that airlines are businesses and that businesses exist for one reason: to serve their customers. Without customers, any business will DIE.
That's why UA posted significant losses in Q1...
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
pitty..but...

2015 the year my 1K will change in 1MM...and be the end of 1K...
no more MR
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by J.Edward
.FWIW $10k is not an issue for me as I can hit that flying my usual smattering of cheap, sub $0.04 EQM fares.
You fly 250,000 miles per year at 4 cents per EQM?!
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:01 am

Programs: UA Global Services / Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador / Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Stop chasing status.
Fly the best airline at the moment you want to fly for the lowest price.
Amazing that people are so brainwashed that they "MUST-FLY-UNITED-AT-ALL-COST"
My point was a general one. I'm not chasing status, especially as a 1MM who at least doesn't have to worry about being Gold. I've switched all my west coast flying to AS since the merger (which amounts to a LOT of weekly revenue UA might have otherwise had), and flying UA only when it makes sense for longer haul routes.

The point remains regardless.

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by drewguy
How much mail does one get from United? I think the only thing I might want is the actual card. Everything else is marketing.
I get a card and dink chits and thats it

Originally Posted by Downunder girl
Got to say I wish this had been in practice for years. I have been paying easily $2500 or more x 2 (for myself and my child) for flights and sometimes barely making silver but then I hear of USA residents making 1K on $2,500. Spend didnt mean a thing, now it does. Probably too little, too late for me however.
Never paid more then $1900 for even a same day ticket to the usa (IAD) on UA ex syd
not sure what your doing wrong.....

noticed this gem....
Originally Posted by United
For the 2014 Premier Program, when you meet all the requirements for the respective status, we will deposit Regional Premier Upgrades (RPU) and Global Premier Upgrades (GPU) in your account.

You will earn two RPU upon qualifying for Premier Platinum status.

You will earn six GPU and two RPU upon qualifying for Premier 1K status.

After qualifying for Premier 1K, you will earn two more RPU for every additional 25,000 PQM or 30 PQS and two more GPU for every additional 50,000 PQM or 60 PQS. This change goes into effect January 1, 2014, for upgrades earned for 2014 activity
looks like for 1k we are now down to 2 rpu and 6 gpu for doing 100k eqm rather then current 4/6
if true this really sux!

Programs: United 1k ; SW A+ Preferred; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Trend actually started with Southwest, which went with a "points earned are based on airfare" system almost two years ago. DL was next, AA/US will be once they merge.

Those who think AA or US are a safe option can't see the forest for the trees.

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

DL DM is worth the spend. AA EXP too if they do it. UA 1K is not. You drastically cut benefits and now are quibbling about spend?

You can kiss my loyalty GOODBYE
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mecabq
People who fly partner carriers but credit to UA, like me, are the big losers. I will spend something like $30K to reach 1K this year, but much less than $10K on 016 tickets.
Bingo.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM
This is pulled from the program rules website that was linked to in the first post. I don't think just any international address will be exempt.

The Premier qualifying dollar (PQD) requirement only applies to members whose primary MileagePlus account address is in the 50 United States or the District of Columbia. Those who use military or diplomatic addresses (APO, DPO or FPO) are exempt from the PQD requirement.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
No, just those who buy only the very deepest discount fares. IME, you have to really try hard to not spend at least .10 per EQM.
Actually, it's quite easy to spend < 0.10/PQM, just book your tickets 2 months in advance like I do.

Also, these deepest discount travelers are still filling seats at a profit to UA that would otherwise go empty. In my case, including taxes I've spent $8,870 to get to 100k in 2013. I also track how much the cheapest alternative fare was, and those total $7430. That's $1,440 loyalty dollars that UA has earned from me that it risks losing at the thresholds they've set.
What's worse is, if you drop my spending by 15% to account for taxes, on my current spend, I wouldn't even make Platinum.

I'm on track to hit between 125 and 150k this year, so I'll still clear the $10k threshold easily, but i doubt that I'll do so in 2014.

I can live without the CPUs and RPUs, but I'll really miss the GPUs.

Last edited by Pedro Gonzales; Jun 18, 2013 at 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by warreng24
Hopefully they will still honor the Premier Gold for 1MM's.
Originally Posted by edcho
It's in the FAQ:
While it's in the FAQ, they've moved the goalposts once already, and I'm sure they will again at some point in the future.

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by jackal
You fly 250,000 miles per year at 4 cents per EQM?!
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:04 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by bkramt1
That seems about right, unless you want your GPU's (SWU's).
I still get them as a 3MM BIS.....but trying to use them is another story!
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:05 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by J.Edward
The optimist in me looks forward to seeing the improvements UA announces in light of this enhancement to the program while the cynic in me thinks something else...but it seems the cynic's been winning most of the arguments recently with UA.
The changes I would like to see don't cost much... they just come from increasing emphasis on subjective factors using information they already have:

- smiling with every single interaction
- Welcome back, Mr. J.Edward. Nice to see you again. We appreciate your loyalty.
- Thank you for your business, Mr. J.Edward.

How difficult is that? The fact that such attention to detail is absent is attributable to a lack of emphasis from the top, not a morale/labor issue or otherwise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.