Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA going to phase out domestic 757s in favor of 737

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA going to phase out domestic 757s in favor of 737

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2013, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, National Executive, Starwood Gold
The flight I was on over the weekend was a new AS 737 with the new "skinny" seats. They were pretty uncomfortable IMO. I was sitting in coach in the exit row. The UA pilot said that UA was getting some of the same planes but not sure about the seating configuration.
Old May 30, 2013, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
What matters to me in terms of planes, in no particular order, are the comfort of the seat, the pitch, the cabin noise, the cruise speed and the cabin decor. Whilst the cabin noise seems better on the new 737s, and the decor is at least newer (if somewhat more dated in design terms), the comfort is worse and the seat pitch seems to be less in E+. So, on balance, I'm not sure if I like the fact that they are being replaced. But... I do like lower fuel consumption and the related lower ticket prices.
Old May 30, 2013, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
What matters to me in terms of planes, in no particular order, are the comfort of the seat, the pitch, the cabin noise, the cruise speed and the cabin decor. Whilst the cabin noise seems better on the new 737s, and the decor is at least newer (if somewhat more dated in design terms), the comfort is worse and the seat pitch seems to be less in E+. So, on balance, I'm not sure if I like the fact that they are being replaced. But... I do like lower fuel consumption and the related lower ticket prices.
Seat pitch on the 737s in E+ is the most in the UA fleet, I believe.
Old May 30, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Aegean-Gold, TK-Elite, Accor-Platinum, SPG-Gold, Hilton-Gold, Club Carlson-Gold,AMEX-Platinum
Originally Posted by JDS747
To my knowledge only the 757-200 domestic and non P.S. fleet is being replaced with 739s.

To me that means the sCO 757-200 in lie-flat international configuration and the 757-300 will remain in service for the foreseeable future.

Basically only the older sUA 757-200s flying domestic routes are being replaced.
If that's the case, then I am very happy!!!
Old May 30, 2013, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Any chance they would convert some or all of these retiring domestic 752s to sCO interiors with BF seating, for more international service, including perhaps more Europe, Central America and northern South America business markets?
Old May 30, 2013, 2:55 pm
RNE

Does "domestic" include LAX to HNL?

RNE, I know HI is a state, but sometimes a distinction is made.
Old May 30, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Orion
Some of the B757's have been updated with winglets. I am hoping that these at least will stay in the fleet a few more years - for my pleasure.
Some of those are likely to be converted to the new PS configs...I can't remember how many of the "new" 15 are coming from the current PS configs vs. the regular 757 configs
Old May 30, 2013, 3:31 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Sad To See Them Go )-:

The "race horse" of the skies (-:
Old May 30, 2013, 3:49 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by businesstraveller2
The flight I was on over the weekend was a new AS 737 with the new "skinny" seats. They were pretty uncomfortable IMO. I was sitting in coach in the exit row. The UA pilot said that UA was getting some of the same planes but not sure about the seating configuration.
Sorry to hear this, those exact seats (Recardo slim line with comfort package) are going into the A320/A319 planes.

UA is adding two extra rows to most of them, and one extra row to the ex-ted/A319s. Pitch will be 30" in E-/34" in E+.

The current drop down IFE will go away, as will audio/CH 9, and they will be dark.

Current 12F (A320) 8F (A319) will remain.

UA has promised to add power sometime in 2014, and promised to be working on some way to put CH 9 on wireless (which you will have to pay for). I'll believe it when I see it.

UAs race to the gutter continues and is in fact accelerating.
Old May 30, 2013, 4:38 pm

That there will be more 737s and fewer 757s is old news. Shame, both are enjoyable planes to fly. If they would only dump those A319s/A320s...

Last edited by Indelaware; May 30, 2013 at 5:40 pm Reason: typo
Old May 30, 2013, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Indelaware
That there will be more 737s and fewer 757s is old news. Shame, both are enjoyable planes to fly. If they would only jump those A319s/A320s...
You want them to "jump [sic]" the most comfortable E+ seats in the fleet?
Old May 30, 2013, 5:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
+1 - The key point. Days of 24F aren't over due to aircraft swap, they are over because the market for paid F doesn't sustain 24F. The 739 could easily be reconfigured to a larger F cabin. But, why do that only to give it away?
Old May 30, 2013, 5:28 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by Often1
+1 - The key point. Days of 24F aren't over due to aircraft swap, they are over because the market for paid F doesn't sustain 24F. The 739 could easily be reconfigured to a larger F cabin. But, why do that only to give it away?
Because I buy twenty $189 trans-cons a year and I deserve to fly every one of those in first class, gosh darn it, for my loyalty!

And if anyone ever for a moment stops appreciating how darn loyal I am, I'm outta here.
Old May 30, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I love the 752. I don't have an opinion on the 737 other than they feel smaller. Time marches on.
Old May 30, 2013, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
You want them to "jump [sic]" the most comfortable E+ seats in the fleet?
Yes, I'd like to see the dump the A319/320s. I do not find them comfortable. I especially disdain those extra soft seats which UA purchased for them. Every time I'm stuck with one of those seats, my back aches.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.