Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA going to phase out domestic 757s in favor of 737

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA going to phase out domestic 757s in favor of 737

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2013, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
I pose a question to the issue of a smaller F cabin. If UA and CO did not merge, what would pmUA have done with the 752's?

I assume we would be seeing the same decision being made with regards to a smaller F cabin as they replaced the 737's with the Airbus twins at 8F and 12F. the unfortunate problem was that the 757 has been out of production for over a decade and I highly doubt pmUA would have brought on an aircraft with 24F as its replacement.
Old May 31, 2013, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by RNE
Darn. I like the 752. I booked UA342 LAX-HNL because the equipment is a 752. And since this booking is in 2014, it'll probably be swapped for a 739. But I knew equipment can and does change. Oh, well.
739s don't fly CA-Hawaii. It's the 738s with the useless DTV product while over water.

Once they start really phasing out the 757s and starting reconfigurations to "dark" A320s it's bye-bye for me and UA. You don't see Delta dumping 757s to fedex. UA is just anal about having a new fleet as it's COdbaUA.
Old May 31, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
739s don't fly CA-Hawaii. It's the 738s with the useless DTV product while over water.

Once they start really phasing out the 757s and starting reconfigurations to "dark" A320s it's bye-bye for me and UA. You don't see Delta dumping 757s to fedex. UA is just anal about having a new fleet as it's COdbaUA.
so the old 757's that are not very airworthy in regards to reliability, burn fuel like crazy, have expensive costs to operate should be kept, simply to please you?
Old May 31, 2013, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat

I don't follow your "logic" here. There's nothing "dark" about the proposed reconfiguration of the Airbus aircraft - they will have WiFi that works over-water and streaming audio / video content. Is that a step backwards from the looped US TV sitcoms on a tiny overhead LCD screen that exists today? If so, there really is no pleasing people.

739ERs most certainly do fly CA-Hawaii.

The 738s and 739s are also moving to the same satellite WiFi platform that works over water. DL aircraft have no Internet connectivity outside of the terrestrial GoGo coverage area. There's also onboard video content on the 737s that works just fine over water.

Plenty of options here - what exactly are you going to miss about the 752s? They are quickly going to become the "dark" aircraft in the UA fleet as the rest of the aircraft start getting fitted with WiFi - it will be interesting to see how quickly people start booking away from them.

Originally Posted by CALMSP
so the old 757's that are not very airworthy in regards to reliability, burn fuel like crazy, have expensive costs to operate should be kept, simply to please you?
^
Old May 31, 2013, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Do they burn fuel like crazy? Or is that the CO "smoke and mirrors" PR machine talking?
Old May 31, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Burn fuel like crazy? 757-200s are actually among the better narrow-bodies on a seat-mile basis. For routes that can regularly sustain yields with ~180 passengers, they're fine - comparable to A320s.

http://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/sites/ri.../table_06.html

Old May 31, 2013, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Do they burn fuel like crazy? Or is that the CO "smoke and mirrors" PR machine talking?
They burn fuel like crazy. 739ERs are vastly more fuel efficient. A cursory Google search will show you the figures.

You don't see Delta dumping 757s to fedex. UA is just anal about having a new fleet as it's COdbaUA.
Forgot to post this link last time around That's exactly what they are doing.

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1428
Old May 31, 2013, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by star_world
They burn fuel like crazy. 739ERs are vastly more fuel efficient. A cursory Google search will show you the figures.

Forgot to post this link last time around That's exactly what they are doing.

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1428
Did you read the chart? The 757s at UA were only slightly worse than the 737s at CO

I'm sorry, selling off the 757s is some BS. Funny how they are willing to dump the sUA 757 but would NEVER sell off the precious sCO 757 that divert to gander in the winter.

And that link doesn't say anything about retiring 757, just ordering 739. DL will be adding AVOD to the 5600 series (ex-NW) 757 and is holding off on the MAX.
Old May 31, 2013, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Did you read the chart? The 757s at UA were only slightly worse than the 737s at CO

I'm sorry, selling off the 757s is some BS. Funny how they are willing to dump the sUA 757 but would NEVER sell off the precious sCO 757 that divert to gander in the winter.

And that link doesn't say anything about retiring 757, just ordering 739. DL will be adding AVOD to the 5600 series (ex-NW) 757 and is holding off on the MAX.
Where to begin...

- The 739ER isn't on that list. So you won't find the comparison there

- What has dumping domestically-configured 752s, usually used on the most inefficient of routes (short hops) got to do with keeping internationally-configured 752s, operating routes that no other similarly-sized aircraft can fly, and earning correspondingly high international fares? Hint: nothing. They may as well be two completely different aircraft types given the economics. Would you have us believe that they're keeping international 752s because they used to be owned by Continental? It certainly sounds that way

- Did you read the DL link I posted? Here's a short quote:

As a result of maintenance efficiencies and a 15 to 20 percent improvement in fuel consumption per seat, the Boeing 737-900ER will have lower unit costs than the older technology Boeing 757 and 767 and Airbus A320 aircraft that it will replace.
Here are a few other links that describe the transaction more directly:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/fl...00-737-90.html ("Delta to order 100 737-900ER to replace 757 fleet")

http://blog.seattlepi.com/aerospace/...ng-737-900ers/
Old May 31, 2013, 3:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite

thats your rebuttal? this has nothing to do with a CO vs UA. And if you can understand news articles, you will note that the sub UA 757 fleet is not going away. Certain particular old ones that are needing babysitting with mainentance are the ones that are leaving.
Old May 31, 2013, 4:12 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Jorgen
Because I buy twenty $189 trans-cons a year and I deserve to fly every one of those in first class, gosh darn it, for my loyalty!

And if anyone ever for a moment stops appreciating how darn loyal I am, I'm outta here.
I don't fly nearly that much, but I keep my Gold. The day United copies Delta, I'm not sure what I'm going to do.
Old May 31, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Aren't you a DL flyer anyways ? What does UA retire their own 752 will afect you afterall ? You can still fly 752/753 with DL.
Delta just bought a whole bunch 15 year old MD-90s from some third world airline, I suspect that they would love to buy those 25 year old 752s from UA too...
Old May 31, 2013, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IflyfromABE
Delta just bought a whole bunch 15 year old MD-90s from some third world airline, I suspect that they would love to buy those 25 year old 752s from UA too...
Don't think China is a 3rd world country... and anyway, they bought the MD-90s mainly because of their fuel efficiency - on a par with, or better than the A320s.
Old May 31, 2013, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
And when you factor that the UA planes had lower density than the CO ones, for all we know, the UA ones may have been more efficient than CO's.
Old May 31, 2013, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by schley
smaller F cabins and less capacity planes are the future of UA, I don't mind the smaller planes necessarily if they are mainline, but the less F cabin the more I dislike for sure.
Indeed. Gotta hate those new E175s on order with 12F seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.