Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How do you hit status flying short trips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2013, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Shamrock 105
I am at 58 segments YTD. I was 1K for eight straight years, always on segments (my personal best was 152 segments). A chance in work travel patterns last year enabled me to only achieve Platinum status, however I'm back on track this year and should have no issues getting 1K once again. I fly a lot on US Airways so most of my flights are in coach. Personally, I'm used to the four segment per week trips but it's not for everyone
I am, unfortunately, in the same boat. My travel is 80% east of the Mississippi out of DCA, which means many, many trips through 35A on US. The remainder of my travel is transcon to LAX or SFO. I've been over 100 segs a year since, umm, well, a long time.

Fortunately, I'm only at 40-something for the year, but 16 of those have come in the past 3 weeks.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 7:31 am
Original Poster

How do you find out if the route your taking is a "direct flight" even if it has a layover? I have to use egencia to book (company policy) and it never says anything about number of legs or miles awarded it just tells me flight time.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by LeviLewis
How do you find out if the route your taking is a "direct flight" even if it has a layover? I have to use egencia to book (company policy) and it never says anything about number of legs or miles awarded it just tells me flight time.
While I am not familiar with egencia, you could start by comparing what you're seeing on your company site and what United.com is showing on theirs. Also, is there a summary page on egencia before you purchase that goes over the itin? I would think the site would show you the details before booking like flight numbers, seats, times, etc.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 7:12 am
Original Poster

FYI i found that if, when booking your flights, you make sure to get a fare class "b" ticket you will get 1.5 legs per leg (which i have done for the first time this trip) so i should be getting a total of 6 legs.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 9:46 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LeviLewis
FYI i found that if, when booking your flights, you make sure to get a fare class "b" ticket you will get 1.5 legs per leg (which i have done for the first time this trip) so i should be getting a total of 6 legs.
Yes, the class-of-service/high-yield fare bonus will add up quickly when you have extra segments. And once you have status, those "B" fares will be Premier Instant Upgrade eligible, meaning you can go to UA's site and pull up the itin and request an upgrade for them.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*

Well, the obvious answer is, one at a time. Yet a subset of that is to take the shortest segments possible (time-factor). The first year I made NW SE was on DTW-ORD weekly day-trips for work, which is only a 42min flight at about 235 miles. If you're doing it on segments, either do lots of little ones, or try to make the connection have one that is small as possible. Yet either way, yes, qualfication on segments stinks. And, I also did the four-segments/week commute-for-work thing for a while, and that too stunk. When I MR'ed, I did one 6-segment SR in a day, once. The rest were maximized for distance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.