FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   How do you hit status flying short trips? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1471186-how-do-you-hit-status-flying-short-trips.html)

LeviLewis May 29, 2013 10:06 am

How do you hit status flying short trips?

I recently took a new job that has me traveling 2-4 times a month. Its a little frustrating because the flights i take are all pretty short 600-800 miles. I am wondering if its worth it to take a connections every time I travel even though it would increase my travel time by 1-2 hours each way just to hit that award level? Also if any of you seasoned travelers have any tips or hints towards making the best of traveling i would greatly appreciate it.

PV_Premier May 29, 2013 10:26 am

segments add up to status as outlined on the UAMP "elite benefits" page...

30 segments per year, silver
60 segments per year, gold
90 segments per year, plat
120 segments per year, 1K

i used to make gold on segments in my previous job. it wasn't fun.

note that if you are booking F or Y/B fares you can get 1.5 segments per flight which helps. watch out for "direct" flights (through flight numbers), which will only give you one segment even if you take off and land twice, or thrice, or...

another albeit more expensive option is to supplement your work flying with MRs, or buy PQMs.

bse118 May 29, 2013 10:30 am

Welcome to FT!

to add to what ddrost1 said (he beat me to it)

Your flight rate would have you between gold and platinum.

3 trips per month X 2 segments per trip X 12 months = 72 segments (assuming each trip is on UA, nonstops each ways, on discount economy fares)

Course if you've just started this flying you'll probably not do enough segments to make Gold this year

DougDons May 29, 2013 10:33 am

Segments, segments, segments!

I am in a similar situation, but I have to connect because there are no direct flight options. I also fly out on Sundays and if costs permit, will do a kind of mileage run and make more than one connection to my destination for work.

I also do a few mileage runs on the weekends if the price is right and I have the time. Based on my travel I don't need to do mileage runs, but I do them to hedge the risk of losing status if my work travel is cut down all of a sudden.

Making status on segments is tough especially when you're on the small regionals, but I think its worth it and don't mind the additional work.

stampchez May 29, 2013 10:37 am

I'm going for gold on segments this year. Intra-Texas flying!

ekwang May 29, 2013 10:41 am

Originally Posted by stampchez (Post 20830412)
I'm going for gold on segments this year. Intra-Texas flying!

Go for Gold! They say Gold is the "new" Silver, which might rightfully be true, but it's worth it for me being Gold. Lounge access when overseas on transcon flights within *A, free checked luggage and E+ seating at time of booking. Worth it. And if you buy a B fare, I believe on your domestic segments you'll get automatic upgrades if there is open space.

Shamrock 105 May 29, 2013 10:42 am

I am at 58 segments YTD. I was 1K for eight straight years, always on segments (my personal best was 152 segments). A chance in work travel patterns last year enabled me to only achieve Platinum status, however I'm back on track this year and should have no issues getting 1K once again. I fly a lot on US Airways so most of my flights are in coach. Personally, I'm used to the four segment per week trips but it's not for everyone

blueman2 May 29, 2013 10:58 am

Originally Posted by LeviLewis (Post 20830228)
I recently took a new job that has me traveling 2-4 times a month. Its a little frustrating because the flights i take are all pretty short 600-800 miles. I am wondering if its worth it to take a connections every time I travel even though it would increase my travel time by 1-2 hours each way just to hit that award level? Also if any of you seasoned travelers have any tips or hints towards making the best of traveling i would greatly appreciate it.

If you can break a flight into highly asymmetrical lengths, you should do so to take advantage of the 500 mile minimum. For example, SFO-AUS is 1499 miles and 1 segment. But if you take SFO-IAH-AUS you get 2108 miles and 2 segments. No real increase in miles being flown, you just get more miles credited due to 500 mile min.

Assume 24 rt's a year, you make 1K on this. Taking non-stop you would only get Gold.

Also, UA gives the 500 mile minimum to lifetime BIS miles as well, so it accelerates your 1MM status if that means anything these days.

demosthenes1 May 29, 2013 4:15 pm

I make 1K every year on 30 trips with 4 segments per trip.

tashi May 29, 2013 6:27 pm

A few years back I came back to UA and went from no status to 1K on SAN-SMF regular trips and occasional transcons here and there. 4 segments a week adds up quick. But compared to my colleagues who were laughing at me as they would reach back home (SMF-SAN on WN) on the same time as I would get to SFO/LAX and then another couple of hours to reach home, I still took the brunt and ever since been dedicated to do as much flying on UA metal.

You have to be dedicated. Do your segments and here and there will hit IRROPS and get some credit and buy your transcon. It's all rewarding at the end. Aim for atleast Gold by the end of the year, anything below isnt worth the trouble.

northsideguy May 29, 2013 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by blueman2 (Post 20830551)
If you can break a flight into highly asymmetrical lengths, you should do so to take advantage of the 500 mile minimum. For example, SFO-AUS is 1499 miles and 1 segment. But if you take SFO-IAH-AUS you get 2108 miles and 2 segments. No real increase in miles being flown, you just get more miles credited due to 500 mile min.

Assume 24 rt's a year, you make 1K on this. Taking non-stop you would only get Gold.

Also, UA gives the 500 mile minimum to lifetime BIS miles as well, so it accelerates your 1MM status if that means anything these days.

The 500 minimums are for Premier Members. If OP is trying to get status as he has none, he will only get 143 miles for redemption and 250 for Premier Qualification for the AUS-IAH route.

CO777DAL May 29, 2013 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by LeviLewis (Post 20830228)

Take the connections if you want to get to get to one of the higest elite levels.

For example 3 flights a month direct is 6 segments by 12 months is 72 GOLD

3 flights a month with connection 12 (4 per trip) segments by 12 moonths is 144 segments 1K and then some. --Get 6 GPU, plus RPU, and extra one you hit 140 segments. Then you can taken nice vacation in BusinessFirst the next year. No fees for awards, better aviavblity, 1K phone line etc.

If your going to use it I'd go for 1K. Being in Dallas I did a crazy amount of segments for many years. Seems like I've been to every podunk town in the south and all on ERJ-145s. Done with flight over 100 segments a year, 5 trips to Hong Kong and I get 1K.

exerda May 29, 2013 7:24 pm

Add a connection if possible.

I used to qualify for 1P (Gold) every year on segments; it was brutal. The year I made 1K on segments--back when it was "only" 100 segments instead of the 120 it is today--was even more brutal.

But a connection here and there will add up, and once you reach Silver/2P, you'll get 500 mile minimums on your segments, too, meaning you'll qualify more quickly on miles, too.

halls120 May 29, 2013 8:10 pm

Very painfully. ;)

WIRunner May 29, 2013 8:21 pm

Having hit Plat for the past two years on segments. It is no fun. Adding a segment each way helps a lot to hit higher levels. It gets depressing when you hear about everyone complaining about the meal choices and pre departue beverages and realise that the past two weeks have all been on express, and those that aren't on ERJs are on a CR7 with two packs of snack mix.