Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The NEW UA elite poll: Which group are you in??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2013, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This seems to be more gray scale vs a black-white poll.

Unfortunately two 1.5s could be different from each other -- so I'm having trouble see the point. There was another older poll that was along the lines of (can not find the thread, so will paraphrase)
-- rock bottom fare purchaser (price more important than destination)
-- cheapest economy purchased well in advance
-- cheapest economy purchased relatively near flight
-- refundable economy purchaser
-- discount premium cabin
-- full fare / refundable premium cabin

Believe the older thread had cpm ranges for each level and other attributes such as club membership
Yes, it is a gray area poll...and more discussion (ie, getting know the rest of your UA elite "family") rather than pure numbers, although I will crunch the numbers at a later date just for fun
Old May 17, 2013, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Group 2 easily, but 90% domestic flights (the international ones are for leisure) and easily qualify on segments and not miles (averaging about 150 segments a year.)
Old May 17, 2013, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IflyfromABE
Group 2 easily, but 90% domestic flights (the international ones are for leisure) and easily qualify on segments and not miles (averaging about 150 segments a year.)
150 domestic segments? Amazing....
Old May 17, 2013, 9:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
After reading many of the threads here, I noticed that the UA elite family here on FT is composed of two general groups of people....which group you fall into obviously affects your opinions and expectations with regard to a lot of the issues related to flying UA.
Perhaps (though I don't really think it is that clearly defined) but the distinctions you've drawn are quire ridiculous. People who fly short-haul don't care about wifi because they're never going to pay for it? Really?? And the idea that the short-haul road warrior is buying cheap tickets is quite funny. Similarly, the idea the people who only fly long-haul also don't care about IFE because they only bring their own is disproven on a regular basis in this very forum.

Doesn't make much sense at all to me.
Old May 17, 2013, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA G, Marriott PlatPrem
Hmmm. 0.85?

Except for the part about mileage balance. I have a ton of RDMs accrued because I never redeem them since I need the EQMs.

I'd rather take Amtrak given the choice of options to get from NYC to DC.
Old May 17, 2013, 9:14 pm

Programs: United 1K
1.5 Buys Cheap ticket, but pays extra for GPU. Flies a lot extra to hit 1K...would be considered insane by most...business trips, extra fun trips and a couple MRs. track flights I took on spreadsheet and hours in UC - Between 60 - 93 hours in a year. UC and F seats are my office away from office. A few weeks without flying and I think it's been a while. After I get off a business class international flight of 14 hours, I feel like I just got off a roller coaster and can't wait to go again. Love the meals, even though it's the same old eggs. Always giddy over ice cream. Ran into the same FA on 5 different flights...many seem familiar or recognizable. On CO flight; asked the FA if she was PMUA and why she was on a CO flight....I was right and she said 119 UAFAs went to CO at merger. I just have the "Catch Me If You Can" Jet-setter mentality.
Old May 17, 2013, 9:48 pm

Not amazing

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
150 domestic segments? Amazing....
It doesn't sound amazing to me, because I am in the same place and it's painful. I average about 140 segments a year. I live in VT and it's all commuter flights from BTV and I am increasingly funneled through EWR, where most connections are to what seems to be the world's largest fleet of 50-seaters. Does United actually have flights where you can get upgraded to first and choose between a hamburger and a salad? (And yes, I know they really do--when you fly 140 segments, you do occasionally end up on a mainline flight.)

Last edited by gsvt; May 17, 2013 at 9:54 pm
Old May 17, 2013, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Originally Posted by IflyfromABE
Ditto, at 100% domestic (UA 130 segments, DL 75K miles), all last minute travel
Old May 17, 2013, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sbm12

Me neither.

Talk about wanting to put people in a tidy little box.

I'll stick to being a charter member of the Gang of 11.
Old May 17, 2013, 11:05 pm
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Originally Posted by sbm12
I agree.
But it's just for fun.
Old May 17, 2013, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K
1.75. Main difference being a lot of domestic flying for me these days
Old May 18, 2013, 12:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum

Group 2. Sitting here looking at Annie right now, waiting, waiting for UA to fix another plane. Why don't they services planes when i am not waiting to get on it? Why, Jeff, why?
Old May 18, 2013, 12:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond, Marriott Platinum
100% 1 except I can't live without the miserable United Club and I do wonder where the WiFi is. Interesting to see the list, I feel like more of a flying nerd than I thought now..
Old May 18, 2013, 1:03 am

Programs: UA, AS, AA, DL
Old May 18, 2013, 1:20 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I suppose I am closer to group 2. I live outside the U.S., and my strategy is to fly 2-3 round-trips from the Middle East to the U.S. per year when I go home, buying V/W and upgrading to C with GPUs. To qualify for 1K, I also take a handful of trips from the Middle East to Europe, always buying a more expensive fare-earning class if I am flying LH, along with a handful of miscellaneous Star Alliance flights.

When purchasing C for business or pleasure, I never take United. (I occasionally buy C on LH and try to upgrade to F, but with the changes to the LH GPU process, that is now pretty much impossible.)

GPUs are getting harder and harder to confirm at booking (I managed it twice this year on the BAH flights and once to NRT), so I am really just squeaking by. I will most likely continue this strategy until I reach 1MM, then abandon the annual pursuit to reach 1K status. I will buy non-UA C for long-haul trips, or dip into my sizeable mileage balance to purchase upgrades or, at worst, redemption trips since I won't fly more than 8 hours in Y. In the past, I have never used miles for an upgrade -- only for premium long-haul redemptions on non-UA Star Alliance members for myself or others.

So, in short, I look forward to the day in a couple of years when I will convert to a net redeemer rather than a net earner, going from a decent UA customer to a drain on them. I don't know if I am the type of customer that they are trying to wean away from UA, but I am surely not the type of customer who will suck it up and purchase premium-class tickets on UA, since once I reach lifetime *G, there is no reason to do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.