FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   The NEW UA elite poll: Which group are you in?? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1468093-new-ua-elite-poll-group-you.html)

PDXPremier May 17, 2013 7:44 pm

The NEW UA elite poll: Which group are you in??

This is a newly modified version of the pre-UA merger elite poll I posted back in 2008...since it's been 5 years and so much has changed, I thought it was time to ask the question again.

After reading many of the threads here, I noticed that the UA elite family here on FT is composed of two general groups of people....which group you fall into obviously affects your opinions and expectations with regard to a lot of the issues related to flying UA. I made a list of the general characteristics of people in each group and I thought I would post it and see if people would be willing to share which group they think they belong to. Keep in mind that neither group is "better" than the other...just different. If you feel like you're about 50/50, feel free to place yourself in group 1.5, but over-all, which group's characteristics describe YOU the best?

Group 1 characteristics:
*Barely makes Silver or Gold after 1 or 2 mileage runs
*Spends a lot of time on RJs and short-haul flights like SMF-SFO (lots of segments, little actual miles)...basically "in the trenches"
*Always chooses flight with the greatest number of miles and/or segments, regardless of how long it takes...after all, it's about the journey, not the destination, right?
*Their MP account has never seen the likes of an RPU or GPU
*Has never seen their MP account balance with more than 5 figures
*Always chooses the cheeseburger meal in F and views meal service in F as a novelty and something to look forward to...has never met a warm chocolate chip cookie or sundae they didn't like :)
*Buys the cheapest possible ticket (N class is their new best friend)
*Has never seen the inside of a United Club but reads a lot about them on FT
*Heartbroken when they discover a 737 without DirectTV and devastated when they learned about the audio and video entertainment being removed from the airbus fleet
*Could care less about in-flight wifi...they're not going to pay for it anyway

Group 2 characteristics:
*Easily makes Platinum, 1K, or GS...doesn't need mileage runs to top off their account
*Flies mostly long-haul international routes like SFO-SYD, FRA-LAX, etc.
*Always has at least one or two RPUs/GPUs collecting dust in their MP account
*Does whatever it takes to get from point A to point B in the shortest amount of time with the fewest number of stops
*Has never seen their MP account drop below 100,000 miles...views their account as another "401K" plan :)
*Always chooses the salad option when sitting in F although sometimes sleep is more important and they pass on the meal completely...could care less whether or not their flight was a "meal flight"...thinks the warm chocolate chip cookies and sundaes are unhealthy and getting old
*Spends airport free time in United Clubs and knows what you're talking about if you mention someone named Annie in SYD :)
*Could care less about in-flight video programming and would rather watch a movie on their ipad
*Doesn't understand why the entire UA fleet isn't already equipped with wifi technology and working power outlets at every seat...what's taking so long??

UA-NYC May 17, 2013 7:46 pm

Yes :D

(ok, more 2)

PDXPremier May 17, 2013 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 20769325)
Yes :D

(ok, more 2)

That makes you 1.75 :)

halls120 May 17, 2013 7:51 pm

I'll never want the cheeseburger, even when I don't fly enough to get plat or 1K.

whakojacko May 17, 2013 7:54 pm

1.5, this poll needs more of a middle ground :) Last year I was about 50/50 business/personal and on business flights I'm group 2, on personal flights I'm group more 1 (surprise!)

runningshoes May 17, 2013 8:08 pm

Where are the Entitled Group bullets?

CIT85 May 17, 2013 8:20 pm

Somewhere in Between

Closer to 2 than 1, so maybe 1.75?

PDXPremier May 17, 2013 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by CIT85 (Post 20769412)
Closer to 2 than 1, so maybe 1.75?

1.75 it is! I'll average the #'s after we get enough data points...my guess is there will be few "true 1's" or "true 2's"....many of us fall somewhere in-between....I'm probably a 1.2 myself since I do have a UC membership :)

LarkSFO May 17, 2013 8:31 pm

where's the poll?

eg: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

endrond May 17, 2013 8:37 pm

1.8 seems about right for me

mbluecpa May 17, 2013 8:38 pm

Two from Group 1 and six from Group 2, so I guess 1.75. I've barely made gold the past two years (though no MRs) and will have no status after 2013, but fit the last six of Group 2.

invisible May 17, 2013 8:41 pm

1.95 - that's because I had one domestic segment in F.

WineCountryUA May 17, 2013 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 20769449)
where's the poll? ...

This seems to be more gray scale vs a black-white poll.

Unfortunately two 1.5s could be different from each other -- so I'm having trouble see the point. There was another older poll that was along the lines of (can not find the thread, so will paraphrase)
-- rock bottom fare purchaser (price more important than destination)
-- cheapest economy purchased well in advance
-- cheapest economy purchased relatively near flight
-- refundable economy purchaser
-- discount premium cabin
-- full fare / refundable premium cabin

Believe the older thread had cpm ranges for each level and other attributes such as club membership

PV_Premier May 17, 2013 8:42 pm

Closer to group 1 than 2 but still plenty of group 2 characteristics. So we'll go with 1.33

EsquireFlyer May 17, 2013 8:44 pm

Why is there no group for people who barely make 1K after a mileage run? I bet FT has tons of those...