Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"There's too many of you to do a beverage service"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"There's too many of you to do a beverage service"

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2013, 8:35 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by JC5280
Agreed. I fly midcons every week and always watch glasses go empty for hours as ex-CO flight attendants disappear after the meal service. I've learned to never turn down a refill opportunity on these flights. It will likely be the last offer you get. Of course, if you go to the galley and ask, it will be refilled. But that's F class these days.

Yes, there are bad apples on every carrier. But on a UA plane with pmUA flight attendants, the glass goes empty and you will likely see a refill within a few moments. A few FAs I have chatted with about this were very aware of the difference and its been discussed at the domiciles frequently apparently.
Absolutely true. That said, it seems that the LAX-based sCO crews have quickly caught up and give an sUA-esque service, while the IAH-based sCO crews are awful. Noticed this stark difference on 2 recent flights. 1 was an LAX-HNL that was sCO LAX crew in F. 1 was HNL-LAX with sCO IAH crew in F. IAH crew was awful. LAX crew was fantastic - as good as an sUA crew.
Old May 17, 2013, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
There really are two separate issues at work here poor FAs and company training/expectations. Any crew sCO or sUA can be bad and should be reported if not providing the promised service. However it has seemed to me that there was a training and expectation difference between CO and UA that has the sCO crews not being expected to provide certain service levels. This isn't because they are poor crews. It just seems to me having ridden with both now that the training for CO crews must not have emphasized continuous service past the meal. There doesn't seem to be any other explanation for how often I see a different service level. The new UA needs to decide what it thinks appropriate service levels are and train to that because the consistent inconsistency is just bad company service and not the crews fault. Of course I just booked another first class ticket with a competitor so UA just lost another $2k of my business so I am solving the problem for myself.
Old May 17, 2013, 8:58 pm

Programs: U/A premier 1K. UA 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Reminds me of the time on a sfo to Hnl in first. I believe this is the only domestic flite with champagne. No champagne was offered Unlike on many prior flites. Asked for a pd glass of champagne and was told no because if the bottle was not finished it would go flat before they could pour it in flite. I was fit to be tied. Explained I was from wine county, napa valley and that if she poured it, it would be gone before take off. At that time several passengers asked for it. She poured and it was empty by take off. Plus of course she was wrong about it going flat in less than an hour.
Old May 17, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by wanymayold
With bad apple like this, I am thinking of sending form to praise the FA on my recent MRY-SFO.
For a 77 miles flight, the FA wrote down everyone's choice of beverage before take off and delivered all the drinks.
I have routinely had similar good experiences up and down the California coast.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
"Too many..."? Considering with UA's UDU policy for all elites, I've seldom been on a NAmerican flight where the F cabin isn't 100% full which would mean this FA refuses to do preflight drinks on all her flights. I can understand if boarding is so delayed and pressed that the door was about to close and taxiing to begin, but under normal circumstances there'd be at least 15 minutes or more to serve, consume and collect before the plane hits the taxiway.
Old May 17, 2013, 11:30 pm
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer
I sent a note to 1K Voice as soon as she said it!
Good for you!

Originally Posted by Kacee
ORD-SEA - wouldn't that be an sUA crew?
Plenty of sCO flights from SEA to ORD and IAD. I actually like them because they have more F seats, and I continue to be upgraded 100% of the time from SEA (since hitting 1K last year).

Originally Posted by star_world
Completely unnecessary. There are bad apples at every airline, and in every group within every airline.
+1

Originally Posted by LilAbner
Lil Abner's Year to Date Premier Segments: 87

Lil Abner's Year to Date Premier Miles: 112,819

Lil Abner's total experiences in steerage for 2013: 3

Lil Abner's total upgrades for 2013: 84

Lil Abner's total times NOT receiving pre-departure drinks: once maybe twice

Reasons for NOT getting a drink while boarding: Delayed flight and they were in a hurry to get the plane loaded and on its way.

# of times I felt that was being screwed for not getting something to drink during pre-departure: 0 out of 1 or 2 times

# of times that I just wished that people who don't have the foggiest idea how to put their excess crap in the overheads and sit their a$$es down and get the hell out of the aisle: Every time!

# of times I wished that the f/a would use the mic and tell people to move out of the way and forget about pre-departure formalities - Anytime we're running late

# of times I get tired the FT whines re comparison of pmUA vs pmCo service and lack of an early glass of wine: A zillion

# of times I almost puke hearing Smisek's name mentioned on here: Immeasurable as it's Never-Ending!
+1 million
Old May 18, 2013, 3:17 am

Programs: CO Gold - 1MM, IC Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hobo13
The point is that that was the policy. OJ and H2O. They followed the procedure. (And I saw plenty of people get a different drink, albeit often with a look or a comment....)
I am not sure that you understood my comment.....Pre Merger sCO FAs almost always offered the PDB, thus following the procedure. sUA it was hit or miss, thus not following the "procedure"...at least sUA from IME ex-CLE-xxx and ex-ORD/IAD/LAX-CLE flights. YMMV of course.
Old May 18, 2013, 5:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by star_world
Bad apples everywhere.
I agree. While I have had some excellent service from sCO crews, I have encountered their post meal service disappearing act for more often than I have experienced a surly sUA crew.

Originally Posted by pdx1M
There really are two separate issues at work here poor FAs and company training/expectations. Any crew sCO or sUA can be bad and should be reported if not providing the promised service. However it has seemed to me that there was a training and expectation difference between CO and UA that has the sCO crews not being expected to provide certain service levels. This isn't because they are poor crews. It just seems to me having ridden with both now that the training for CO crews must not have emphasized continuous service past the meal. There doesn't seem to be any other explanation for how often I see a different service level. The new UA needs to decide what it thinks appropriate service levels are and train to that because the consistent inconsistency is just bad company service and not the crews fault. Of course I just booked another first class ticket with a competitor so UA just lost another $2k of my business so I am solving the problem for myself.
This is indeed the difference between the average sUA and sCO crew.
Old May 18, 2013, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TA
I find it amazing that other airlines in other countries can do a full meal service on a 1.5 hour flight by comparison.
AA does a meal service on a flight 1.5 hours, however, this topic is about PDB, which SHOULD have been done. I hope the OP did report this to UA, since most people will not and this behavior continues.
Old May 18, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Totally agree with the inconsistency in service from my own experience. Management should be blamed for it. It is not a good-vs.bad apple issue.
Old May 18, 2013, 8:47 am

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
I've been treated rudely by plenty of ORD ground crew as well as EWR. I've had flippant attitudes from CO and rough treatment by UA... they're all over worked, just like the rest of us.

737 with a sCo crew (one even was wearing a scarf with a highly visible "Continental" phrase on it.
Fetch the smelling salts.
Old May 23, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold

737 with a sCo crew (one even was wearing a scarf with a highly visible "Continental" phrase on it.
Sounds a bit like my flight yesterday to FLL:

> "We will be landing at Concourse C - C as in Continental". *eyeroll*
> A very surly, but somewhat justified, "if you don't sit down, this airplane is going back to the gate"
> "I was going to say you may now use your cellphones but I see all of you already are"

F service was spotty - but unlike the OP, we did get a PDB.
Old May 23, 2013, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by pdx1M
There really are two separate issues at work here poor FAs and company training/expectations. Any crew sCO or sUA can be bad and should be reported if not providing the promised service. However it has seemed to me that there was a training and expectation difference between CO and UA that has the sCO crews not being expected to provide certain service levels. This isn't because they are poor crews. It just seems to me having ridden with both now that the training for CO crews must not have emphasized continuous service past the meal.
Agreed. I generally find the sCO crews very pleasant, they just tend to disappear in the galley to chat (often rather loudly) immediately after meal service.
Old May 23, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2006-2013
Originally Posted by demkr
I know it goes against your 100% zero-deviation-of-any-kind support of Smisek agenda on this forum, but this is my experience without any anomalies as someone who flies 100K a year.
As someone who has flown 120K for the last 6 years on UA (based out of ORD), I have a different perspective. I've found about the same percentage of pmCO and pmUA flight attendants to offer poor service. Or good service. Probably even depends up on the day I run into them.

In fact -- and I know it's blasphemy in this forum -- if you pushed me further its my perception that the pmCO crews have been more pleasant overall than the pmUA crews. Though I do agree with the previous post that the pmCO attendants do tend to disappear after the main service more than pmUA. Not that it matters for me cause I usually just try to sleep.

All this shows me is that there's no cut and dry rule about one crew being better than the other.
Old May 29, 2013, 7:25 am

This has happend to me a few times over the years on AA flights between MIA and LGA, and every time it made my blood boil. It was the very same situation (FA's gabbing to each other) Of course the wife kept telling me that "I" was being a PIA. Whether your using miles or paying for the upgrade, you deserve to get the benefits. Glad to see I'm not the only one who gets annoyed....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.