Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"There's too many of you to do a beverage service"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"There's too many of you to do a beverage service"

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2013, 1:20 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by TA
I find it amazing that other airlines in other countries can do a full meal service on a 1.5 hour flight by comparison.
I think the OP is talking about a pre-departure drink
Old May 17, 2013, 6:34 am

Programs: UA PP/Marriott Platinum Elite/Hyatt Diamond/Avis Preferred/Hertz Presidential
Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer
Today on my flight to Seattle (which was delayed almost 2 hours), I was seated in First Class and asked for a Diet Coke after giving my coat. I was told "There's too many of you to do a beverage service" on a 737. She had plenty of time to talk with her colleague in the galley. Very pathetic.
Another reason to get status. Fire her now. This is not the service mileage run folks are expecting.
Old May 17, 2013, 7:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by JC5280
Agreed. I fly midcons every week and always watch glasses go empty for hours as ex-CO flight attendants disappear after the meal service. I've learned to never turn down a refill opportunity on these flights. It will likely be the last offer you get. Of course, if you go to the galley and ask, it will be refilled. But that's F class these days.

Yes, there are bad apples on every carrier. But on a UA plane with pmUA flight attendants, the glass goes empty and you will likely see a refill within a few moments. A few FAs I have chatted with about this were very aware of the difference and its been discussed at the domiciles frequently apparently.
+1

I've noticed the exact same thing. It really makes me prefer pmUA for longer flights.

I'm more than a little troubled by your last comment. Since everything seems to eventually go the pmCO way, does this mean that pmUA crews are going to start acting more like ex-CO?
Old May 17, 2013, 7:03 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
Disgusting service by a PMCO crew. I hope it is reported. While PMUA was not perfect the crews were much more service oriented!!
Old May 17, 2013, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K
I think the response from 1K Voice was very appropriate (and surprisingly speedy):

"The response you received from our flight attendant definitely is not the level of service we expect our employees to give. I am very willing to make a formal complaint about this service failure, however I am unable to find flight 1179 on in your MileagePlus account."

I checked and the flight number and mileage plus number was correct and forwarded a picture of the boarding pass - pretty sad when the airline can't tell which flight you actually just completed - probably because they didn't see the miles in my account yet - but we all know that will take a while!
Old May 17, 2013, 8:12 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
This goes right in line with the lunch service I got the other day ORD-SNA with a sCO crew. No PDB at all (no delay whatsoever), service started almost an hour into flight and was slow as molasses. I ordered doubles because I knew the girl wouldn't be around for another 45 minutes. No nuts, no rolls, no hot towels. When I inquired about the missing elements her the answer was "gone for 4 years, forgot." while I could clearly see the bag of rolls just sitting in the galley in plain sight.

She was of course very chatty with her FA friends, probably talking about how bad sUA is for CO. Sent an email to 1K voice and got a generic response. I specifically said I didn't want any compensation and didn't get any. There is a very common theme here with sCO crews lately, they just don't care.
Old May 17, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by LilAbner
Lil Abner's Year to Date Premier Segments: 87

Lil Abner's Year to Date Premier Miles: 112,819

Lil Abner's total experiences in steerage for 2013: 3

Lil Abner's total upgrades for 2013: 84

Lil Abner's total times NOT receiving pre-departure drinks: once maybe twice

Reasons for NOT getting a drink while boarding: Delayed flight and they were in a hurry to get the plane loaded and on its way.

# of times I felt that was being screwed for not getting something to drink during pre-departure: 0 out of 1 or 2 times

# of times that I just wished that people who don't have the foggiest idea how to put their excess crap in the overheads and sit their a$$es down and get the hell out of the aisle: Every time!

# of times I wished that the f/a would use the mic and tell people to move out of the way and forget about pre-departure formalities - Anytime we're running late

# of times I get tired the FT whines re comparison of pmUA vs pmCo service and lack of an early glass of wine: A zillion

# of times I almost puke hearing Smisek's name mentioned on here: Immeasurable as it's Never-Ending!
I know I am a relative newbie and you have a lot more experience with flying that I do,, but as far as the PDB goes, we are indeed paying for a ticket and service...not just all strapped into cargo and getting from a to b. Regardless of whether the crew is from United or Continental, there needs to be some consistency and I for one am irritated when it does not exist. Obviously, if there are time constraints, that makes all the difference, but I definitely prefer to get my so called 'early glass of wine" if that is what is part of the service at that level. If we are on the same flight, I will try not to whine if the FA's don't come through (but no promises )
Old May 17, 2013, 9:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by demkr
I know it goes against your 100% zero-deviation-of-any-kind support of Smisek agenda on this forum, but this is my experience without any anomalies as someone who flies 100K a year.

sCO flight attendants tend to have a slower service and some don't provide beverage until meal is served an hour after takeoff. We've had many reports on here of them eating the snack basket.

I avoid sCO flights as much as I can -- mainly though because I desire a comfortable F seat.
Thanks for continuing the tone - although I suspect you may have me confused with someone who actually supports that agenda.

There are hostile, militant FAs who couldn't care less about customers in both the sCO and sUA portion of UA. That is without question. If you get one of them you're going to get a bad experience. If you want to see the other side of your point look at the various sources available to you where you can see the outrage expressed by large numbers of sUA FAs at the very thought that customers should be allowed to choose their own drink pre-departure "Who the !@!* do they think they are!!!" is one choice expression that I came across on a crew discussion forum. But there are thousands of them that have no issue with this and provide excellent, prompt service, just like there are thousands of sCO FAs who provide excellent, prompt service.

Bad apples everywhere.
Old May 17, 2013, 9:06 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by star_world
If you want to see the other side of your point look at the various sources available to you where you can see the outrage expressed by large numbers of sUA FAs at the very thought that customers should be allowed to choose their own drink pre-departure "Who the !@!* do they think they are!!!" is one choice expression that I came across on a crew discussion forum.
Expressing such comments privately to colleagues is one thing (although the language you quoted, if true, is not good), but expressing such comments to passengers, or taking it out on the passengers, is completely different and inappropriate.

And if the policy of allowing pax to choose their own PDBs (since that makes it take longer) is what gives some FAs an excuse to say "There's too many of you to do a beverage service," that's an even more inappropriate response to the policy.

Originally Posted by star_world
Bad apples everywhere.
People often say this to justify ignoring bad behavior, but it's no justification. Bad behavior should not be ignored.
Old May 17, 2013, 9:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
People often say this to justify ignoring bad behavior, but it's no justification. Bad behavior should not be ignored.
I agree 100% and completely support reporting this type of behaviour. If you look at the previous posts, this was in direct response to a poster describing this as "typical sCO attitude". In fact, it's "typical poor FA attitude", nothing more.
Old May 17, 2013, 11:00 am

Programs: AS 100K
I think it was inexcusable for an F/A to act in that manner.

Pretty silly that the 1K Voice agent couldn't look up the record though.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 17, 2013 at 2:02 pm Reason: off-topix
Old May 17, 2013, 1:52 pm

So what? None of these stats prove anything or are meaningful. If it doesn't happen to you, doesn't mean it didn't happen for anybody else

Originally Posted by LilAbner
Lil Abner's Year to Date Premier Segments: 87

Lil Abner's Year to Date Premier Miles: 112,819

Lil Abner's total experiences in steerage for 2013: 3

Lil Abner's total upgrades for 2013: 84

Lil Abner's total times NOT receiving pre-departure drinks: once maybe twice

Reasons for NOT getting a drink while boarding: Delayed flight and they were in a hurry to get the plane loaded and on its way.

# of times I felt that was being screwed for not getting something to drink during pre-departure: 0 out of 1 or 2 times

# of times that I just wished that people who don't have the foggiest idea how to put their excess crap in the overheads and sit their a$$es down and get the hell out of the aisle: Every time!

# of times I wished that the f/a would use the mic and tell people to move out of the way and forget about pre-departure formalities - Anytime we're running late

# of times I get tired the FT whines re comparison of pmUA vs pmCo service and lack of an early glass of wine: A zillion

# of times I almost puke hearing Smisek's name mentioned on here: Immeasurable as it's Never-Ending!
Old May 17, 2013, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by malgudi
So what? None of these stats prove anything or are meaningful. If it doesn't happen to you, doesn't mean it didn't happen for anybody else
Read between the lines.

He is noting here are larger issues afoot, not the least of which is the constant pmUA/pmCO rivalry here.
Old May 17, 2013, 2:17 pm

This does not sound unusual and is probably within procedure. If the flight was already 2 hours late, they want to board as quickly as possible and serving pre-departure drinks in F on a 737 delays boarding because it blocks the aisle. The might do it on a 757 because it loads at door 2 and F passengers turn left and Y passengers turn right but 737s load at door 1 and everyone has to file past F. I assume they managed to serve drinks after takeoff.
Old May 17, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by AADC10
This does not sound unusual and is probably within procedure. If the flight was already 2 hours late, they want to board as quickly as possible and serving pre-departure drinks in F on a 737 delays boarding because it blocks the aisle.
How do you figure? Sounds more like serving drinks would interfere with chit-chatting in the galley for 10-15 minutes while overhead bins are closed by the Economy FAs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.