Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"There's too many of you to do a beverage service"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"There's too many of you to do a beverage service"

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2013, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
ORD-SEA - wouldn't that be an sUA crew?
It's a PMUA route but operated on this particular flight with a 737 which only sCO crew can work. Aircraft determines the crew not the route.
Old May 16, 2013, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
ORD-SEA - wouldn't that be an sUA crew?
737 with a sCo crew (one even was wearing a scarf with a highly visible "Continental" phrase on it.
Old May 16, 2013, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
I had a similar sCO crew experience on IAD-LAX a few weeks back.

No pre-departure beverages, lots of giggling and joking-teling in the front galley ... FA brought a friend brought into F at the last minute with a cocktail napkin note telling him to not tell anyone he sat there ... I definitely reported her. I received a gracious response the next day thanking me for the detailed description of the offender and the circumstances.
Old May 16, 2013, 6:41 pm

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
#overusinghashtags
#thenewunited
Old May 16, 2013, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LilAbner
Lil Abner's Year to Date Premier Segments: 87

Lil Abner's Year to Date Premier Miles: 112,819

Lil Abner's total experiences in steerage for 2013: 3

Lil Abner's total upgrades for 2013: 84

Lil Abner's total times NOT receiving pre-departure drinks: once maybe twice

Reasons for NOT getting a drink while boarding: Delayed flight and they were in a hurry to get the plane loaded and on its way.

# of times I felt that was being screwed for not getting something to drink during pre-departure: 0 out of 1 or 2 times

# of times that I just wished that people who don't have the foggiest idea how to put their excess crap in the overheads and sit their a$$es down and get the hell out of the aisle: Every time!

# of times I wished that the f/a would use the mic and tell people to move out of the way and forget about pre-departure formalities - Anytime we're running late

# of times I get tired the FT whines re comparison of pmUA vs pmCo service and lack of an early glass of wine: A zillion

# of times I almost puke hearing Smisek's name mentioned on here: Immeasurable as it's Never-Ending!
If people on the MP forum stopped mentioning Smisek and blaming the "other" half of the merger for all the issues they face when flying UA there would be no more UA forum. It's a great place to come to catch a whole bunch of people acting like spoiled kids who've had their favorite toy taken away
Old May 16, 2013, 7:06 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by demkr
You definitely need to write this on your survey if you receive one and send in a complaint via Customer Care. Typical sCO attitude.
I had this many times on UA before the merger...maybe not the exact exchange mentioned but no bev service was pretty common in my experience. I am sure there are some old threads about it in this forum.
Old May 16, 2013, 7:12 pm

Programs: United 1k ; SW A+ Preferred; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Seems doing something potentially productive like reporting it to UA would be more useful than yet another whining victim's rant on FT.
Old May 16, 2013, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer
Today on my flight to Seattle (which was delayed almost 2 hours), I was seated in First Class and asked for a Diet Coke after giving my coat. I was told "There's too many of you to do a beverage service" on a 737. She had plenty of time to talk with her colleague in the galley. Very pathetic.
Is she International-certified FA or not (from the Wing)?
Old May 16, 2013, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Aegean-Gold, TK-Elite, Accor-Platinum, SPG-Gold, Hilton-Gold, Club Carlson-Gold,AMEX-Platinum
Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer
I sent a note to 1K Voice as soon as she said it!
That's probably the best move you could have done! Talking about attitude... Geez...
Old May 16, 2013, 7:50 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Great to hear that a FA sees "too many of you" first class passengers as problems to be dealt with (or ignored in this case).
Old May 16, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: CO Gold - 1MM, IC Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mcgahat
I had this many times on UA before the merger...maybe not the exact exchange mentioned but no bev service was pretty common in my experience. I am sure there are some old threads about it in this forum.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...re-drinks.html

IME pre merger on UA, just OJ or Water was "sometimes" offered...reading the thread above it seems that this used to be a common practice for short and long haul flights via UA. I can't say it didn't happen pre merger on CO but even at 6AM ordering a Screwdriver or anything was I rarely told no in F pre departure to any request for a beverage.

To the OP, it would have ticked me off too no matter what crew was on board to then see the FA's chatting it up in the galley. If nothing else they should have at least offered water.
Old May 16, 2013, 10:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by demkr
sCO flight attendants tend to have a slower service and some don't provide beverage until meal is served an hour after takeoff.
Agreed. I fly midcons every week and always watch glasses go empty for hours as ex-CO flight attendants disappear after the meal service. I've learned to never turn down a refill opportunity on these flights. It will likely be the last offer you get. Of course, if you go to the galley and ask, it will be refilled. But that's F class these days.

Yes, there are bad apples on every carrier. But on a UA plane with pmUA flight attendants, the glass goes empty and you will likely see a refill within a few moments. A few FAs I have chatted with about this were very aware of the difference and its been discussed at the domiciles frequently apparently.
Old May 16, 2013, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CLEHillbilly
[url]

IME pre merger on UA, just OJ or Water was "sometimes" offered...reading the thread above it seems that this used to be a common practice for short and long haul flights via UA. I can't say it didn't happen pre merger on CO but even at 6AM ordering a Screwdriver or anything was I rarely told no in F pre departure to any request for a beverage.
Actually, it was almost always offered. I can remember 1 or 2 times where it wasn't, and usually with a good reason.

The point is that that was the policy. OJ and H2O. They followed the procedure. (And I saw plenty of people get a different drink, albeit often with a look or a comment....)

CO crews seem to have trouble following policies. PDB is just one example. I'm at less than 50% for CO crews prioritizing 1K meal orders, despite that being the policy for a while now.
Old May 17, 2013, 12:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LilAbner
# of times I get tired the FT whines re comparison of pmUA vs pmCo service and lack of an early glass of wine: A zillion

# of times I almost puke hearing Smisek's name mentioned on here: Immeasurable as it's Never-Ending!

I'm only 86k miles so far this year, but agree completely with your post! (especially the quoted part).

I'd add: # of threads where SHARES is blamed for shortcomings: all. (i.e OP: My cheeseburger was served cold. Reply: well duh, SHARES strikes again).
Old May 17, 2013, 12:38 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
The comments in this thread are hilarious and sad all at the same time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.