Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the new RECARO seats UA is installing?
I love them
1.83%
They are okay
9.57%
I am indifferent
6.31%
I don't really like them
20.98%
I hate them
48.07%
I've not tried them yet / no opinion
13.24%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2013, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by mitchmu
I wonder if this is worth complaining about, because on these seats, it's basically impossible to open a laptop if the person in front reclines, anyway.
So, you've had the chance to fly the new aircraft already?

(I am not saying you are wrong, I do want to hear some first hand experience from E+ ad E- flyers though...)
Old May 17, 2013, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
So, you've had the chance to fly the new aircraft already?

(I am not saying you are wrong, I do want to hear some first hand experience from E+ ad E- flyers though...)
Based on what others have said and based on experience with those seats on LH.

I look forward to hearing first hand reports, too.

If I fly on one of these aircraft, I'm sure I'll also be able to report on the Y experience since CO is so determined to make sure I never touch a seat in F.
Old May 17, 2013, 2:00 pm

If I fly on one of these aircraft, I'm sure I'll also be able to report on the Y experience since CO is so determined to make sure I never touch a seat in F.
With your track record, I am sure an E- seat is in your future! (That is, if they even let you board the plane at SFO...)
Old May 17, 2013, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by halls120
Originally Posted by Renard

My guess is that this is another nail in the coffin for channel nine.
Chris Elliot's Middle Seat column the other day had another nail in the Ch. 9 coffin - the increased use of text messaging between the Flight Deck and ATC. Maybe United is being proactive and recognizing that there may not be much air-to-ground chatter worth listening to before long.
Or even more likely its another cost cut? They're betting that not enough people would take their biz elsewhere if they save the money it would cost to do this with Channel 9 and the new system. Will more higher profit folks fly us if we do this? Will this stem any bleed of high profit folks?

Their reasoning for not outfitting E- with plugs is similar I would guess. The extra folks that would pony up for the IFE will not increase sufficiently enough to ensure that it will be worth it to UA.

If you examine all the changes made since this merger in this light a lot of them make more sense--at least to the accountants. Now I'm not saying that I like it. I'm not sure they can predict well the cumulative effects of all the cuts on the types of flyers they want to keep and recruit.
Old May 18, 2013, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
I recently flew a ANA 737 and I think they had basically what UA is going to install on the Airbii. It was the "enhanced" Recaro seats. They weren't too uncomfortable, not as good as the current Airbii seats but way better than the seats on sCO planes. The tray table is higher than the current tables. The one thing I noticed is that with the magazine storage moved up, you feel like there's no room between you and the seat back in front of you on the head level (vs knee level).
Old May 18, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Pictures Here!!!

Pictures of the seats can be found at this link.

http://www.cntraveler.com/daily-trav...w-seats-051613
Old May 18, 2013, 11:01 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
First, upon some reflection, why is UA not putting direct TV on these birds? People want consistency, yet this locks in the "can't tell what will be on the aircraft" problem. People hate that.

Second, I think that this shows that Direct TV does not pay for itself. I was talking to a very senior CO FA on my transcon yesterday about this, and she says that other than on the transcons almost no one in coach every buys direct TV. You don't want to pay for 2-3 hours and there is no cut in the price. If the metrics where there the Airbus would be getting Direct TV.

Third, this is a very strong sign that management has not changed course. They are still just managing by spreadsheet, and evidently decided to cut some more. Still have no idea that things like CH 9, or having some IFE matters. Or that having power is sort of key if you are not going to have IFE.

All very discouraging to me about where UA is going.
Old May 18, 2013, 11:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by UATulip
Pictures of the seats can be found at this link.

http://www.cntraveler.com/daily-trav...w-seats-051613
From the article:

These airplanes formed the bulk of United's domestic fleet before the merger with Continental, and they were in dire need of some TLC. While pre-merger Continental's domestic 737s now mostly have in-seat video with live television, United's Airbuses were living in a previous decade.
Has the author even flown recently on the Airbus? I think they've aged quite well. The interiors are nothing exciting, but they're aesthetically neutral in terms of epoch and maintained in consistently good condition in my estimation. Given the comfortable seats (to the extent possible in Y), I'd go so far as to say that they provide the best all-around Y experience of the entire narrowbody fleet. Anyway, whether TLC was needed really has nothing to do with UA's business motivations (increase capacity, decrease fuel cost).
Old May 19, 2013, 2:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

So what decade are they now with the IFE completely removed?

Really horrid "journalism"
Old May 19, 2013, 3:25 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
On my flight into NYC a crew member let me read their internal newsletter which included extensive talk on the Airbus reconfig. I found nothing in the article at all which leads me to believe there is any lift in comfort for passengers. They talk about power not being available in F and looking for a solution. The various IFE systems and internet systems they will have all over UA. The number of F seats is not being increased. The large closet forward cabin is going away. I will continue to avoid this aircraft looking for the 737s. Would have never said that a decade ago on UA. Would love to have gotten this wrong from memory.
Old May 19, 2013, 3:39 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Based on what others have said and based on experience with those seats on LH.

I look forward to hearing first hand reports, too.

I didn't even have to look at who wrote this.....I knew right away

You can be sure that customer comfort was the last thing on the list when it came to picking these new seats.........I would not be surprised if "inflight" was locked out of the meeting. I think anyone that has sat in these seats can attest they are not comfortable. Thats a given but perhaps with a few extra inches of legroom in E+ (which LH, etc don't even have in European C),, it MAY at least be possible to use a lap top or move your knees. All we can do is speculate until the first AB is reconfigured. Regardless, MITCHMU, with your luck, even E+ may not be in your future I would book away from these if I were you.
Old May 19, 2013, 3:42 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
They talk about power not being available in F and looking for a solution.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
  • 110v power outlets in United First and United Economy Plus
There you go. This might be one of the only clear positives so far based on what we know.
Old May 19, 2013, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I didn't even have to look at who wrote this.....I knew right away

You can be sure that customer comfort was the last thing on the list when it came to picking these new seats.........I would not be surprised if "inflight" was locked out of the meeting. I think anyone that has sat in these seats can attest they are not comfortable. Thats a given but perhaps with a few extra inches of legroom in E+ (which LH, etc don't even have in European C),, it MAY at least be possible to use a lap top or move your knees. All we can do is speculate until the first AB is reconfigured. Regardless, MITCHMU, with your luck, even E+ may not be in your future I would book away from these if I were you.
I don't find the seats on LH to be uncomfortable.

My main complaint is no space in pouch and on LH, nearly impossible to use a laptop.

I would choose this aircraft over an sCO aircraft with the DirectTV crap.
Old May 19, 2013, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by spin88
First, upon some reflection, why is UA not putting direct TV on these birds? People want consistency, yet this locks in the "can't tell what will be on the aircraft" problem. People hate that.

Second, I think that this shows that Direct TV does not pay for itself. I was talking to a very senior CO FA on my transcon yesterday about this, and she says that other than on the transcons almost no one in coach every buys direct TV. You don't want to pay for 2-3 hours and there is no cut in the price. If the metrics where there the Airbus would be getting Direct TV.

Third, this is a very strong sign that management has not changed course. They are still just managing by spreadsheet, and evidently decided to cut some more. Still have no idea that things like CH 9, or having some IFE matters. Or that having power is sort of key if you are not going to have IFE.

All very discouraging to me about where UA is going.
Nobody liked the direct tv option, CO made that decision back in 2006/2007 when inflight wifi was just getting started and JetBlue was having massive success with DirectTv. Try to think back, wifi was just starting to become standard and hell even starbucks was charging for it. DirectTv seemed like the right call even though time proved them wrong.

US still gets a decent uptake rate on IFE even though they do not have power.
Old May 19, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
The article I read said there would NOT be power at this time in one section of the plane. I believe that was First which made no logical marketing sense at all. Hoping for the best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.