Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 4001, FA bumped me from 2A to back of plane.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA 4001, FA bumped me from 2A to back of plane.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2013, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Tronic
No I'm not complaining, just asking if that's acceptable or common practice. If it were a long or expensive flight I would have been angry.
Anything that is E45 or smaller are expected to be moved frequently due to weight and balance issue.

As long as there are empty seats on the plane, even they are not "training", you would still have a chance to be moved no matter you like it or not.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Anything that is E45 or smaller are expected to be moved frequently due to weight and balance issue.

As long as there are empty seats on the plane, even they are not "training", you would still have a chance to be moved no matter you like it or not.
On our EMB-120's, we have been moved back enough that I always get the seats between the exit rows (row 7&8). Usually fly with my kids, so no exit row for me. It's quieter the further back you are on a turboprop anyway.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 6:42 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Did you still get your first choice of meals or just another Saab story?
Old Apr 27, 2013, 10:19 pm

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by mitchmu
There was no available crew seat?

What was your feeling when it happened? Did it feel legit?
If a trainee has not completed certification, they cannot occupy the jumpseat. On most all coach acft, they would indeed sit in row 1. Generally, they are travelling on a company business positive space pass. It would have been helpful if the training dept would have blocked that seat for all of the legs that the trainee was on, to avoid having to reseat a customer, but this is not an uncommon practice, particularly on the "wind ups"
Old Apr 27, 2013, 10:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mitchmu
There was no available crew seat? ...
The regionLs tend to only have enough seats for the required FA and no extra jumpseats.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 10:28 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Tronic
The latter so should be an enjoyable weekend. Didn't mean to make this seem like a rant bc it's definitely not, just wanted to get the professional's take on it
"Professionals"? That made me smile.

Experienced, yes. But most here aren't getting paid to fly.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by xzh445
If a trainee has not completed certification, they cannot occupy the jumpseat. On most all coach acft, they would indeed sit in row 1. Generally, they are travelling on a company business positive space pass. It would have been helpful if the training dept would have blocked that seat for all of the legs that the trainee was on, to avoid having to reseat a customer, but this is not an uncommon practice, particularly on the "wind ups"
Well I've seen it both ways on a CR7. I.e. some times the trainee sits in the jump seat, and sometimes she doesn't. I.e., sometimes the certified trainer takes the jump seat and sometimes she doesn't.

In the instance where trainee took a passenger seat, I was bumped from 2C to 2D, I.e. aisle to window, during boarding by the trainee, and not the GA and I was initially angry. However, the trainee promised she would only be using 2C for take off and landing, so overall it was a good deal. In the case where the trainee took the jump seat, the trainer took 1A; if anyone was bumped it was handled before boarding.

Since part of training should be interacting with the cockpit during taxi via intercom, I find it odd that by regulation a trainee can never occupy the jump seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.