Wiki Posts
Search

New Baggage Policy??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2013, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold
New Baggage Policy??

Do companions no longer receive a free baggage benefit?!! It appears the UA website has changed and this info is no longer available. I am gold.

I called the service desk and they were not clear on whether or not the benefit still exists.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Asia Miles, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Emerald Club.
There are indeed changes posted on UA's website:

"We have revised some of our checked baggage policies for travel worldwide. For the latest checked baggage updates, please review all relevant baggage pages before you travel.
Updated: February 27, 2013"

Please tell me this is not true. It will be horrible as even a Chase CC holder gets a free checked bag for a companion.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
This has to be wrong. Did I miss the Friday 7pm message by UAInsider?
Old Mar 3, 2013, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Asia Miles, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Emerald Club.
Here's what I found:

Last edited by mathgeek1978; Mar 3, 2013 at 2:40 pm Reason: Replace photo and add gold photo
Old Mar 3, 2013, 2:34 pm

Ha. Love it. They say that it has changed, they just won't tell you what has changed.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 3:30 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
It was posted a week or two ago. International first class non-status now receives two instead of three free bags.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 4:05 pm
RNE

And yet again "Bronze" (credit card holders) is better than "Silver."

RNE, amazed and wondering how many punches you Silvers will take.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
So companions no longer get a baggage allowance?? So my gold status means less again?
Old Mar 3, 2013, 4:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
So companions no longer get a baggage allowance?? So my gold status means less again?
might be premature to conclude that -- we need to hear more explicitly from UA. Could just be sloppy documenting or it could be an idiotic move.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 5:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GregMM
It was posted a week or two ago. International first class non-status now receives two instead of three free bags.
This thread topic however is something different, and if true, diabolical. How many of us Gold book a non status on our reservation to check more bags? Quite a few I bet.

I just spot checked the site and got the same disturbing news. Text doesn't just disappear by magic.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 3, 2013 at 5:51 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 3, 2013, 5:15 pm

UA Insider is on vacation 2/22 - 3/12

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-will-out.html
Old Mar 3, 2013, 5:23 pm

Oh Lordy! Maybe that's why UA Insider decided to take a vacation for this time period!
Old Mar 3, 2013, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Interesting that it seems to have affected 1K and GS, as well.

I hate to say it, but I'm glad that my wife has my MM companion status, as we've never checked more than 6 bags.

Greg
Old Mar 3, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
This thread topic however is something different, and if true, diabolical. How many of us Gold book a non status on our reservation to check more bags? Quite a few I bet.

I just spot checked the site and got the same disturbing news. Text doesn't just disappear by magic.
Hopefully it was just omitted when the redid the entire baggage page to eliminate all the specifics, requiring you to select your flights first.

According to the Wayback Machine, it was on the Checked Baggage Fees page:

http://web.archive.org/web/201205080...CFB62C440BB65C

All of this text below was removed:

MileagePlus® Premier® Platinum, Premier Gold and Premier1K® members; United Global ServicesSM members; and Star Alliance Gold members get up to three checked bags free.
United MileagePlus Premier Silver and Star Alliance® Silver members get one checked bag free.
United BusinessFirst®, United First®, United Business® and United Global FirstSM customers get up to three checked bags free.
United Airlines Presidential PlusSM and MileagePlus Club Card primary Cardmembers get their first and second checked bags free. MileagePlus Explorer and OnePass Plus primary Cardmembers get their first checked bag free. See united.com/chasebag for details.
Any customers traveling on full-fare United Economy® tickets get up to two checked bags free.

Customers traveling with MileagePlus Premier members or dependents traveling with active U.S. military personnel are also exempt as long as they are traveling in the same reservation. This exemption will not apply to group reservations including 10 or more customers.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 8:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
New Baggage Policy??

Then what was updated 2/27?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.