Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why would someone be listed on both standby & upgrade list(s)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why would someone be listed on both standby & upgrade list(s)?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by Kacee
NRSA.

Not if you're trying to change flights. You can only do that at the airport.
Arguing with the agents was not appropriate.
I wasn't arguing with anyone, as noted above.. simply asking a question why or how there were ppl on the standby list, when I was told the ONLY way to get on the standby list was at the airport, is not arguing.

And could you define or link to NRSA? I've only been doing this 45 years at the moment, my dictionary seems out of date
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nmenaker
could you define or link to NRSA?
Non-Rev Space Available. Airline employee or passholder flying on a non-revenue, non-work (leisure) basis. They're listed as standbys and clear only after all revenue pax have cleared.

I wasn't arguing with anyone, as noted above.. simply asking a question why or how there were ppl on the standby list, when I was told the ONLY way to get on the standby list was at the airport, is not arguing.
Okay. I was reacting to the use of all caps, which denotes "Shouting" on the internet.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Non-Rev Space Available. Airline employee or passholder flying on a non-revenue, non-work (leisure) basis. They're listed as standbys and clear only after all revenue pax have cleared.

Okay. I was reacting to the use of all caps, which denotes "Shouting" on the internet.
understood and agreed, hence my original disclaimer defining my in post use of CAPS.

NRSA, that's a lot of non-revs and voucher fliers, but I guess it's possible.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... NRSA, that's a lot of non-revs and voucher fliers, but I guess it's possible.
I have 20+ multiple times -- especially at holiday times going to leisure destinations.

But as you found out customers go to ahead of any standby NRSA.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I have 20+ multiple times -- especially at holiday times going to leisure destinations.

But as you found out customers go to ahead of any standby NRSA.
agreed.. yeah, it was just a SFO to SEA Tuesday flight, so mostly biz and some leasure travellers for sure.

Incidentally, I was upgraded OUT AND BACK from LAX to KOA a few weeks ago, found that odd. First CPU i've had in about 18 months other than the random ONE of use gets upgraded but not both, which I then just deny and keep my leg room exit row seat.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
On UA 895 (HKG-SIN) on 23 July there are two people who appear on the standby list and also on both the C UG list and the F UG list. These I assume are non-revs. There is, however, also a passenger who shows as cleared via the C UG list but who is also on the F UG list (I assume it's the same person but I suppose it's possibly a coincidence and it's two different people wit the same letters/initials). But assuming it's the same person, is this an NRPS who cleared into C (message directly above says they can "book" into C, which doesn't sound like it would show as an UG clear, but maybe I'm wrong about that), and then gets wait-listed for F, or is it something else? Just curious - thanks.

Last edited by st530; Jul 21, 2017 at 8:20 pm
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Could be a displaced paying F passenger that standby for business but waitlisted for F. Less common the NRSA but does happen. Would be ahead of any NRSA.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by st530
is this an NRPS who cleared into C
Most likely.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Could be a displaced paying F passenger that standby for business but waitlisted for F. Less common the NRSA but does happen. Would be ahead of any NRSA.
This just happened to me the other day. Paid intl J fare. My domestic connection (booked in F) went mx. The next connecting flight was F0Y0. So I was put on the Y stand-by list and F upgrade list. I cleared both (first into Y, then later in to F when there was a misconnect). It does happen.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Apologies if asked before. Small question on NRSA rules: can a nonrev list themselves for the J/F cabin only and not the Y cabin? (In other words, is it possible to see a name on the J standby/ug list that isn't on the Y standby list and for that name still to be a nonrev?)
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: UA - GS 8 years 1K - many!!, Mariott - Titanium, Hilton - Gold, Avis - President, Hertz - President
Originally Posted by zrs70
Not necessarily! I asked a similar question last week when I saw that I was on both the biz as well as first upgrade list (on a domestic 3 class bird). I was upgraded to biz at time of ticketing, but the mobile site still shows my name on the list (as confirmed). I was surprised to see my name on the F list as well.
It is nothing but Staff.... the system sucks.... Staff can - based upon their contract clear into First for many flights where 0 seats are sold in F/A due to plane changes - but staff go in ... GS and Revenues could be still w/L in Biz.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by sfo789
Apologies if asked before. Small question on NRSA rules: can a nonrev list themselves for the J/F cabin only and not the Y cabin? (In other words, is it possible to see a name on the J standby/ug list that isn't on the Y standby list and for that name still to be a nonrev?)
Not a NRSA. Employees flying positive space with a confirmed seat assignment can be on the upgrade list(s) while not on the standby list, though.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
I have asked when standing by to be added to both lists in case I clear
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by creaturecomforts
It is nothing but Staff.... the system sucks.... Staff can - based upon their contract clear into First for many flights where 0 seats are sold in F/A due to plane changes - but staff go in ... GS and Revenues could be still w/L in Biz.
You obviously know nothing about this, there is NOTHING contractual about non rev flying, it is a benefit just like health insurance.

And it's been thrashed to death on here.
Two Bee likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Flight standby List is same as Polaris Business Upgrade Standby List

Looking at my flight tomorrow... Polaris is fairly empty.....

Weird thing is that the standby lists for the flight and upgrade polaris standby are identical. Can I assume that these are all nonrev's? I had a friend who used to fly for UA and I recall looking at his nonrev access and it was interesting to see the number of people who were listed on multiple flights in multiple classes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.