Wiki Posts
Search

Change Fee Increase to $200/300

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by unavaca
As far as I know, WN has nothing but full fare Y available on day of departure, hence the upfare to full Y. It's really "upfare to the current fare in the market," which ends up being full Y.
Actually, "wanna get away" discount fares are offered day of departure. At least for sale via web/app.

It surprised me to see that the ticket I booked 2 weeks prior was available for the same price on game day, multiple flight times. It was a PHX-SMF segment where I saw this.

And on UAUA until 2003 at least, INTL change fee was Zero as long as the new fare was higher. I paid $9 once x 4 to change 4 transpac tickets.

A nominal fee is fine. Extortion is not. Hence SQ abroad and WN domestic going forward. I'll kick the minimum 4 segments UA's way to maintain Gold as well.

Highly recommend folks book away from COdbaUA. It ain't all that.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 18, 2013 at 9:25 pm Reason: merge
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:17 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by njcommodore
I'm surprised you of all people couldn't see the inference that many people believe United is being run by legacy CO people (HouCrew).
Not too much doubt in most people's minds about who is running the show at COdbaUA. And it isn't the ChiCrew.

Originally Posted by hobo13
Given that change fees are purely a relic of the past and not indicative of the amount of work involved to change a ticket......
A very large number of tickets are changed on line and require absolutely no intervention on the part of UA. All the work that's being done is by the customer. The equivalent of going through the self checkout lane at your local grocer or Home Depot.

Originally Posted by mherdeg
Looks like the last change was $100->$150 on 19 April 2008. I guess it's a five-year cycle?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...now-150-a.html

Edit: previous change was a cycle of $75->$100 changes in early 2001? CO and DL documented on FlyerTalk in ~Jan 2001, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...now-100-a.html and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...e-100-too.html

Interestingly, when it was $100 apparently it was ~negotiable for 1Ks: see a bunch of reports of it not always being assessed for 1K members at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...hange-fee.html .
Circa 1996 the change fee was $35. It changed to $75 right after the turn of the millennium.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by danville 1K
A very large number of tickets are changed on line and require absolutely no intervention on the part of UA. All the work that's being done is by the customer. The equivalent of going through the self checkout lane at your local grocer or Home Depot.
I'm pretty sure that's what I meant when I said that change fees are NOT indicative of the amount of work that goes into it. @:-)

It's an arbitrary money grab, plane and simple.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Actually, "wanna get away" discount fares are offered day of departure. At least for sale via web/app.

It surprised me to see that the ticket I booked 2 weeks prior was available for the same price on game day, multiple flight times. It was a PHX-SMF segment where I saw this.
As someone who rode WN like the bus for years, I've never seen this happen between the Bay Area and LAX.

They even have a dedicated sprite that they overlay on Wanna Get Away on day of departure: http://www.southwest.com/assets/imag...horizontal.png

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
A nominal fee is fine. Extortion is not. Hence SQ abroad and WN domestic going forward. I'll kick the minimum 4 segments UA's way to maintain Gold as well.

Highly recommend folks book away from COdbaUA. It ain't all that.
If you don't intend to fly UA domestically, why not credit to A3 and get your *G after 25k with no UA or A3 requirement?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
In some cases it may be cheaper to buy a new ticket. This fee is ridiculous.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Originally Posted by DELee
Management is thinking that they need to (somehow) recoup the costs of those 60+ minute by phone changes + multiple calls + 3 supervisors + the 600+ agents hired. SHARES anyone?
Came here to say this.

When it takes hours of time with multiple staff to correctly make a change, be it for IRROPs, changes in routing in advance that SHARES cannot easily accommodate, or SHARES dropping flight segments on UA or foreign carriers, the money has to come from somewhere. In this case, it's coming from us the consumer.

Can't wait to see them start announcing change fees for upper level elites on award travel.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:06 pm

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
The last four months I have completely changed my view of UA and really any airline loyalty program. Too many issues and very little consideration for the customer. I must give credit to some frontline Airline agents that try to work with these insane rules and placate a frustrated public.

$200 change fee should work both ways, UA should pay the customer every time there is a schedule change, crew is late, or maintenance.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by star_world
This is no different to what happens when one of the major US airlines tests a fare increase and waits for the others to match it or not. These happen 5-10 times a year and are initiated by UA, DL, AA, etc. The same thing will happen here - either all of those airlines will follow suit or UA will be back at the lower rates in a month.

These things happen all the time - and unlike a change fee increase, a fare increase affects everyone. It's amusing to see all the faux outrage though and threats to go to WN

There is zero room for one major US airline to be out of step with the others on pricing for a very short length of time - keep that in mind. You can forget any notion that this will impact PRASM relative to competitors or any similar metric.
Myself and others have left and do fly WN now. Why pay 700 to fly on an RJ when I can pay the same on WN and change my flight anytime. 200 is steep very steep. You may like to pay more but others dont and others have and will continue to leave.

Last edited by l etoile; Apr 19, 2013 at 8:21 am Reason: Overly personalized comments removed per rules
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:13 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
One more reason I don't fly the majors. Its like the old saying Why does a dog lick himself?? Because he can. Long Live Mergers (maybe we'll have 1 big legacy airline left soon)
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
The timing of this seems particularly odd given the issues over the last year. They have done nothing but piss people off. To try a stealth increase just seems stupid. A lot of folks are pissed at DL right now for SDC changes, but at least everyone got an email about it in advance.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by unavaca
As someone who rode WN like the bus for years, I've never seen this happen between the Bay Area and LAX.

They even have a dedicated sprite that they overlay on Wanna Get Away on day of departure: http://www.southwest.com/assets/imag...horizontal.png

If you don't intend to fly UA domestically, why not credit to A3 and get your *G after 25k with no UA or A3 requirement?
I've sern them available day of plenty of times when a flight is empty. Just recently on a trip to San Diego, both ways had WGA fares day of. They were more expensive but about 100.00 less than anytime. It doesn't happen often but does happen.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 3:53 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by danville 1K
Not too much doubt in most people's minds about who is running the show at COdbaUA. And it isn't the ChiCrew.

It has nothing to do with how much time it takes. Traditionally these kind of things (change fees, Sat night stays, etc) were charged to mostly leisure travelers and as a way to get people to buy more expensive fully changeable tickets. I have no problem with that philosophy. The problem is COdbaUA makes it so difficult & confusing to know which fares are fully changeable / refundable. They do this on purpose to dishonestly try to grab the extra money TWICE!!!! Almost every other airline I've flown (both US domestic & Intl carriers make it very clear in the web sites what fares are free to change, which have fees & which are refundable. UA & it's garbage SHARES has those nice little buttons you can click to pay a higher fare if you want a "changeable ticket" etc. the problem is half the time you choose these fares, pay more & then find out "YES SIR, YOU CAN CHANGE THIS TICKET BUT THERE WILL BE A FEE". So what's the point of choosing these higher fares? NOTHING!!!! COdbaUA purposely stays away from calling a fare a "flex" fare as they don't care what you pay....almost none are really "flex"

Years from now (not to many years). UA will be a great case study in B school on a company that has done NOTHING RIGHT
Old Apr 19, 2013, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Clincher
... change fee should work both ways, UA should pay the customer every time there is a schedule change, crew is late, or maintenance.
I know DL generally permits you to change or cancel a reservation at no cost in the event of a "significant" schedule change (+/- 90 min, often negotiable for 60 min, and in some cases for even less), and I have taken advantage of that on more than a few occasions

nonetheless I can't find much to disagree with in the above sentiment, esp when the disruption goes beyond what nominal compensation might cover
Old Apr 19, 2013, 6:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by fieldeng
You say this like it's a certainty. Did the other airlines follow US by charging for on board sodas and putting advertisements on tray tables? No.

Have other airlines followed DL with the MQD's yet? No.

I could go on and on. The only thing airlines typically follow each other on are fares.
It's a certainty in that UA followed DL on this. UA chose to increase its change fee, while DL chose to tighten its SDC rules. That leaves US-AA and we'll see.

The point is that 2 of the 3 majors have already figured out that they need to better differentiate their flex and non-flex products if they're going to sell the former. And, the former is where the profit lies.

Unsophisticated customers are unaffected by these changes because they book what they need and pay up if they need a change. Sophisticated customers look at the bigger picture. Some don't care about change fees because they rarely change in advance, but do want SDC because they can sometimes make an earlier flight.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 6:35 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
Makes sense given all the cut rate fares they're offering. But it doesn't matter if domestic changes are $150 or $200, I'll pay a greater premium than that to avoid the ancient ghetto aircraft, Soviet bread line customer service, and planes that have 1980s CRTs, but no Wi-Fi.
Sometimes...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.